October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
23 Jun 2016 11:38 #229264 by vijr

metalface13 wrote:
I finished watching The Night Manager last week. Great miniseries. Tom Hiddlestone and Hugh Laurie are great as ever. Olivia Colman is also really great in it, didn't even make me think about her role in Peep Show for a minute. Well, maybe for a second when I thought about how she didn't make me think about her character in Peep Show.

The Night Manager was brilliant. Completely agree about Hiddleston and Laurie. No clue about Peep Show as I've never seen it. Every actor was at their best for that show. The suspense was great. John Le Carre is Genius at it. Highly recommend Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy for great spy suspense but slow burning.

GoT
Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2016 13:22 - 23 Jun 2016 13:22 #229271 by Gregarius
Also, as a counterpoint to the Battle of the Bastards...
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 23 Jun 2016 13:22 by Gregarius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Feelitmon

More
23 Jun 2016 15:52 #229276 by Feelitmon

Black Barney wrote: My two favourite TV shows are Game of Thrones and ST: Next Generation. i don't see anyway to mash those up. I don't think there is a better example than Westeros for how the Prime Directive needs to be respected. Picard looks at King's Landing....looks North of the Wall.... yeah....we're not getting in the middle of this and orders the ship to leave orbit as Riker is super pissed that he didn't get to sleep with the Mother of Dragons.

And we know for damn sure that Riker wouldn't be able to sit on the Iron Throne.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, metalface13, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, boothwah, Disgustipater, JEM

More
23 Jun 2016 19:42 #229287 by boothwah
i just binged the first season of Angie Tribeca. My girls, who have never seen Airplane, or Naked Gun, thought it was the most amazing original thing ever.....kids these days.

Like most of these spoof-vehicles it;s hit or miss - It hit more than it missed with me -

More
24 Jun 2016 09:49 - 24 Jun 2016 09:57 #229309 by Cranberries
I just finished the first season of Peaky Blinders, whose name probably cost it 50 percent of its potential viewership. Wonderful gang movie that is really about post WWI PTSD, sort of. I started to watch the second season, but it's starting to feel like, as one of you put it, "Terrible people doing things to terrible people" so I may stop here, and just read the episode summaries, although I do want to see Inspector Campbell get his just desserts. Sometimes the sex, old school f-bombs and violence feel like they've been sprinkled on as an afterthought.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2016 09:57 by Cranberries.

More
24 Jun 2016 10:14 #229310 by hotseatgames
I've completed half of season 3 of Peaky Blinders. I enjoy the show and think it's well done, with a unique setting. Sometimes it's a challenge to understand what these pikeys are saying. ;)

More
24 Jun 2016 10:20 #229311 by Cranberries

hotseatgames wrote: I've completed half of season 3 of Peaky Blinders. I enjoy the show and think it's well done, with a unique setting. Sometimes it's a challenge to understand what these pikeys are saying. ;)

I actually use the close captioning, in part because of the historical accent, and because guns, q-tips and infections have left me with tinnitus in one ear.

More
27 Jun 2016 20:55 #229437 by Shellhead
I am binging on Agent Carter this week. Overall, I am enjoying the show, even though it was probably pitched as a cross between Mad Men and Agents of SHIELD or something like that. Maybe like Mad Men if Peggy got to kick some dude's ass every week.

Though I've never been a big fan of Post-WWII America, this show sells the era well. Period music, period fashion, all wonderfully glamorous and shadowy. Even the star has those qualities, plus actual good looks according to period standards. I think the choice to make her British (going back to the first MCU Captain America movie, I assume) is unfortunate since they have her teaming up with Edwin Jarvis every episode. That gives us two main characters with British accents in NYC, whereas the comic book version of Peggy Carter was actually from Virginia. I was hoping for more Marvel easter eggs, but so far nothing except repeated references to Cap, Howard Stark (Iron Man's rich daddy), Jarvis, and the Roxxon Corporation.

Ah well, the show is good anyway, like an unusually exciting and violent noir detective thing. There is also some decent social commentary on the time period, and some humor. One recurring gag is that Peggy keeps encountering radios tuned into a serial adventure program about her MIA boyfriend Captain America, punched up cliches and cheesy sound voice acting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
28 Jun 2016 09:33 - 28 Jun 2016 09:44 #229449 by Mr. White
"See University Challenge last night?"

Going a second round with Detectorists. This time it's sorta on in the background while I mini hobby. Perfect combo and I see it being in regular rotation during these periods from here on. Likely going to buy the set. It'll complete a trinity of BBC favorites joining Robin of Sherwood and Father Ted (while bumping The Young Ones).
Last edit: 28 Jun 2016 09:44 by Mr. White.

More
28 Jun 2016 10:23 #229451 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: I am binging on Agent Carter this week. Overall, I am enjoying the show, even though it was probably pitched as a cross between Mad Men and Agents of SHIELD or something like that. Maybe like Mad Men if Peggy got to kick some dude's ass every week.

Though I've never been a big fan of Post-WWII America, this show sells the era well. Period music, period fashion, all wonderfully glamorous and shadowy. Even the star has those qualities, plus actual good looks according to period standards. I think the choice to make her British (going back to the first MCU Captain America movie, I assume) is unfortunate since they have her teaming up with Edwin Jarvis every episode. That gives us two main characters with British accents in NYC, whereas the comic book version of Peggy Carter was actually from Virginia. I was hoping for more Marvel easter eggs, but so far nothing except repeated references to Cap, Howard Stark (Iron Man's rich daddy), Jarvis, and the Roxxon Corporation.

Ah well, the show is good anyway, like an unusually exciting and violent noir detective thing. There is also some decent social commentary on the time period, and some humor. One recurring gag is that Peggy keeps encountering radios tuned into a serial adventure program about her MIA boyfriend Captain America, punched up cliches and cheesy sound voice acting.

I really liked the show and was sad to see it not get renewed after Season 2. Both James D'Arcy ( who played Crowes second in command in MASTER AND COMMANDER ) and Haley Atwell were great when paired up .

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.493 seconds