October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
28 Jun 2016 10:49 #229453 by hotseatgames
Finished Silicon Valley yesterday. This season was the least funny so far; they spent far too much time being "dramatic" and working on the story, which frankly isn't as entertaining as them just goofing on each other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2016 12:52 #229461 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Mr. White wrote: "See University Challenge last night?"

Going a second round with Detectorists. This time it's sorta on in the background while I mini hobby. Perfect combo and I see it being in regular rotation during these periods from here on. Likely going to buy the set. It'll complete a trinity of BBC favorites joining Robin of Sherwood and Father Ted (while bumping The Young Ones).

I almost got it.

In the interests of beardy pedantry I'll point out that RoS was ITV and FT was Channel 4.

More
28 Jun 2016 13:01 #229462 by Mr. White

JEM wrote:

Mr. White wrote: "See University Challenge last night?"

Going a second round with Detectorists. This time it's sorta on in the background while I mini hobby. Perfect combo and I see it being in regular rotation during these periods from here on. Likely going to buy the set. It'll complete a trinity of BBC favorites joining Robin of Sherwood and Father Ted (while bumping The Young Ones).

I almost got it.

In the interests of beardy pedantry I'll point out that RoS was ITV and FT was Channel 4.

Ha! Didn't know that. Guess there's no trinity. Just some British shows I enjoy...
(wait, they are all British, no?)

More
29 Jun 2016 03:08 #229478 by Grudunza
Best season of Game of Thrones. Season finale had many great moments, all earned and powerful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
29 Jun 2016 07:48 #229481 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Mr. White wrote:
Ha! Didn't know that. Guess there's no trinity. Just some British shows I enjoy...
(wait, they are all British, no?)

It might be fairer to say Father Ted is an Irish show, though it was produced by a British company for a British channel. I started watching The Detectorists. I really like the gentle comedy and It's made me nostalgic for Little England, countryside not full of stuff that can bite and/or kill you, etc. I could watch Toby Jones in anything, I think.

More
29 Jun 2016 08:12 #229482 by Black Barney

Grudunza wrote: Best season of Game of Thrones. Season finale had many great moments, all earned and powerful.

Agreed. I got emotional when Dany gives Tyrion the pin. Lady Mormonts speech was terrific too

More
15 Aug 2016 19:33 #232073 by ChristopherMD
Watched the first episode of Stranger Things. Reminded me a lot of J J Abrams Super 8. Which is to say it emulates 80's Spielberg. I'm okay with that as long as the quality is copied too. In this case so far I believe it is. The opening with the kids playing D&D was a great start. I remember when I used to get that excited about games. Nowadays we'd just re-roll that die.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
15 Aug 2016 19:57 #232074 by Black Barney
I hear that Larry Wilmore got cancelled. Is that true? I watch him four nights a week, I like him but that panel discussion segment is always awful. He's also the worst of the bunch that are all doing something similar (Trevor Noah, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee).

More
15 Aug 2016 21:51 - 31 Aug 2023 16:47 #232083 by Shellhead
My girlfriend is moving in this month, so several times a week, she brings over a load of stuff. Last week included part of her dvd collection, which includes season 4 of Alias. That was a show that was on the air during a time when I was barely watching any television, so I had previously seen maybe 10 minutes of one episode. I figured that Alias was probably at least an okay show because it lasted several seasons, and I needed a distraction while ironing two weeks worth of shirts for work. Since then, I have gone on to watch over half the season so far.

I'm not a fan of Alias. It seems clear that the show was aimed more at female fans, for several reasons. First, the show takes place in an alternate reality where tradecraft is more of a hereditary knack than a skill set, judging by the way half of the team members are family. Second, the CIA is apparently a very flexible workplace where it is completely cool and not at all unprofessional to work on high stakes espionage while sleeping with one of your co-workers. Third, the opening credits seem to sell the show as a pretext for Jennifer Garner to wear a wide variety of outfits and footwear while looking reasonably fabulous. Fourth, every other episode features a foreign nightclub and an occasion for Garner to show off a bad accent. As a bit of a nod to the possible guys in the audience, every episode does feature at least a couple violent scenes, though usually gunfire or fistfights, and hardly any explosions or car crashes.

Even so, I liked the episode that I just watched. They featured the weird tech guy (picture an unfunny imitation of Patton Oswalt) and put him through some nice fish out of water situations. Moderately funny and engaging, and even edgy at times. Even so, I don't recommend Alias unless you are bored or a really big fan of Jennifer Garner.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2023 16:47 by Shellhead. Reason: Alias not Alibi

More
15 Aug 2016 22:05 #232084 by metalface13
The Great British Baking Show. So enjoyable. So many classic British desserts I know nothing about. Everybody on their seems like genuinely nice human beings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.681 seconds