October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
31 Aug 2016 07:14 #233093 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Joebot wrote: I just finished plowing through season 2 and 3 of Black Sails. Wow, that show improved a LOT over its first season, when it was basically Deadwood-lite, but with pirates. I fee like the show is largely overlooked, and it definitely doesn't get the media attention that HBO and AMC prestige dramas get. The period detail is interesting, the characters have gotten very compelling, and the action scenes (while still somewhat rare) are top-notch.

I still have a few weeks left on my Starz trial subscription. Anybody watched Outlander? Any thoughts on that one?

Black Sails became one of my favourite shows on TV after the first season, and I'm glad I stuck with it. It has a tendency to plot in circles soap-opera style at times but the rest makes up for it.

Outlander is good, though with some pretty brutal moments.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2016 08:32 - 31 Aug 2016 08:33 #233098 by Black Barney
Do you guys think WestWorld went the heavy sex route just because of Game of Thrones ? It just seems so out of place ?

"We've developed a recreation of a Frontier town in the Wild West populated by sophisticated androids. You can actually be in a true western experience "

"Can I have three ways with the robots ? "
Last edit: 31 Aug 2016 08:33 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
31 Aug 2016 09:04 #233101 by Msample

Black Barney wrote: Do you guys think WestWorld went the heavy sex route just because of Game of Thrones ? It just seems so out of place ?

"We've developed a recreation of a Frontier town in the Wild West populated by sophisticated androids. You can actually be in a true western experience "

I doubt it. Many of the earlier HBO series that got critical acclaim ( THE WIRE, THE SOPRANOS ) weren't focused on it .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
31 Aug 2016 09:04 #233102 by ThirstyMan

Black Barney wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: Just binge watched three seasons of 'Under the Dome'.

Absolute fucking rubbish, poorly written, poorly acted. That's 39 hrs of my life I'm not going to get back.

In Canada we do the craziest thing, sometimes when we watch something we're not enjoying, we stop watching. Sometimes right in the middle of the first episode !!

Were you hooked up to a Clockwork Orange contraption or something ?

Its a completionist thing. Very common amongst wargamers. It MIGHT get better and I dont want to miss out.

More
31 Aug 2016 09:34 #233105 by hotseatgames
Completionist.... another word for obsessive compulsive. I assure you, once you make a conscious effort to break that habit, life gets much better. A terrible show will not get better. And even if it did, you've got better things to do. If they aren't going to respect your time, you shouldn't patronize them. I'm looking at you, Walking Dead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, Black Barney, wadenels

More
31 Aug 2016 09:42 #233106 by RobertB
Black Barney wrote:

Do you guys think WestWorld went the heavy sex route just because of Game of Thrones ? It just seems so out of place ?

Looking back on the original Westworld, I thought that was part of the whole reason you went out there*. Pick which of the three worlds you like and do whatever you want with the robots. Just don't piss off Yul Brynner and you'll be fine.

*Seems like that'd be a tough sell for my spouse. "Hey honey, you mind if I go off with these robot hookers/robot cowboy hunks for the evening?"

More
31 Aug 2016 10:00 #233108 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: Do you guys think WestWorld went the heavy sex route just because of Game of Thrones ? It just seems so out of place ?

The sex was always in the story, they can just make it more explicit now (in more ways than one).

I haven't read the original Chricton novel, but the movie had lots of different worlds: West World, Medieval World, Roman World, etc. In all of them, people were gettin' it on. I mean, what's the point of spending billions of dollars on a realistic, humanoid, automaton if you can't fuck it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, bfkiller, RobertB, Black Barney

More
31 Aug 2016 14:53 #233120 by ChristopherMD
Black Sails is the best show that nobody I know watches. Every season has gotten better. Instead everyone is watching Walking Dead where every season has gotten worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xerxes, Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
31 Aug 2016 16:44 #233124 by Joebot

Mad Dog wrote: Black Sails is the best show that nobody I know watches. Every season has gotten better. Instead everyone is watching Walking Dead where every season has gotten worse.

Yes, that's it exactly! Other than you guys here on this forum, I don't know anybody that watches the show. Most people I ask have never even heard of it. It's weird. Definitely an underrated gem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
31 Aug 2016 17:01 #233128 by Shellhead

RobertB wrote: Black Barney wrote:

Looking back on the original Westworld, I thought that was part of the whole reason you went out there*. Pick which of the three worlds you like and do whatever you want with the robots. Just don't piss off Yul Brynner and you'll be fine.

*Seems like that'd be a tough sell for my spouse. "Hey honey, you mind if I go off with these robot hookers/robot cowboy hunks for the evening?"

Unless these robots have extensive AI, philosophically this would be the equivalent of getting jealous of a vibrator.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds