October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
27 Oct 2016 13:42 #237053 by ChristopherMD
Two episodes into season 3 of Black Mirror and not digging it so far. Not sure what the point of Episode 1 was since I thought she had a shitty life before and after her ratings dropped. Also seemed to drag on a bit too long. Episode 2 I didn't even finish. I found the main character to be pretty annoying and the rest was just boring. Will continue watching the season but its dropped from a must-see to a whenever I get around to it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2016 13:59 - 27 Oct 2016 14:07 #237054 by Grudunza

Michael Barnes wrote: San Junipero was an amazing piece of television. I think it might be the best episode of Black Mirror. It's definitely different, but the tone, acting, themes and concept are just incredible. I cried.

It's also the ONLY episode I've watched where I didn't have it sorted out halfway through the episode. I didn't know what the hell was going on- VR, time travel, quantum interpolation...the coda at the end was at once utterly chilling and full of unspoken wonder.

The episode before was ok, but I pretty much knew exactly what was going on from when the kid had a wank.

You're more astute than I. I took the kid's experience at face-value, but should have known there was more to it (and there were clues). I thought it was clever, but a one-time watch, whereas something like "San Junipero" really was transcendent. That, "Fifteen Million Merits" and "White Christmas" are the best ones. Even if only a few hit that level, that's enough to keep me watching them all.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2016 14:07 by Grudunza.

More
27 Oct 2016 14:09 #237055 by Black Barney

Mr. White wrote:
The kids can't get enough David Pumpkins. I can't seem to find the music anywhere...the boy wants to play it on his keyboard. I'm surprised it's not out there.

I am almost 100% positive the song is called - You're Gonna Have a Bad Time

awesome tune...

More
27 Oct 2016 17:24 #237065 by Michael Barnes
I can't get San Junipero out my head. Especially with that song at the end. I think my mind was actually blown.

More
28 Oct 2016 01:41 #237090 by Michael Barnes
I have not laughed at (let alone watched) an SNL skit in...20 years? But that David Pumpkins thing is hilarious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Oct 2016 07:24 #237093 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
San Junipero was the highlight of the whole series.

About the music:
Warning: Spoiler!

Also agreed on David Pumpkins. I roll my eyes when Americans talk about SNL but that was genuinely funny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Black Barney

More
28 Oct 2016 08:05 - 28 Oct 2016 08:51 #237096 by Mr. White
I've seen two episodes...Nosedive and now San Junipero.

Besides the music, also the movie posters and videogames.

Anyway...

Nosedive, though, may have more impact on my immediate future. My FB usage has dropped considerably over the past several months. I mainly use it for some communities of interest and less for 'listening in on' the lives of people I may have once come across. My wife has already pretty much gotten off and I'm considering maybe cutting my list down to like 25 people. Just a small group that I'm actually close to...sort of like an open email or text chain. I do like that photos I've uploaded are all sorted and easy to review...much more so than the digital mess that is our real photo archive... And, like I said, I do enjoy being part of some of the hobby communities. That and I'm looking to start up a side business in my physical community in the near future and the FB page for our neighborhood will be instrumental in its launch.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2016 08:51 by Mr. White.

More
28 Oct 2016 09:35 #237101 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
If I had to pin down the main reason I enjoyed San Junipero more than the others, it's because it has an emotional heart that the others seem to entirely lack. Most of the episodes take the formula of "current technology + X = horror", and you'll witness some hapless protagonist experiencing some discomfort/terror/pain/whatever but it's just kind of plot lego, it all fits to let the story play out as expected. The one with the soldiers was a case in point, it has something to say, but mostly says it in the first few minutes if you're paying attention/expecting the typical Black Mirror angle and the rest is just going through the motions.

Not that SJ was perfect either, because the core philosophical debate over the whole premise was covered mostly in one conversation.

More
28 Oct 2016 10:02 #237104 by Mr. White
So, I've only seen two episodes and I understand they are on the lighter end of the show's spectrum. I've enjoyed them quite a bit, but do understand the rest are, like JEM says, 'technology +x = horror'. I wonder if the formula will get old? I'll probably try a few more to find out. Maybe finish out season 3 and decide if I want to go back to the earlier ones.

More
28 Oct 2016 12:36 - 28 Oct 2016 12:50 #237128 by Mr. White
San Juniper thoughts left out of previous post:

I know these thoughts ultimately don't matter for the show as it takes a layman's approach to tell a charming tale. Still, as a possible direction some want us to head into, these other points are worth thinking about.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2016 12:50 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds