October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
28 Oct 2016 13:01 #237129 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Food for thought, but I personally go with the simplest interpretation. Though we are back in the realms of
Warning: Spoiler!
Territory again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2016 01:20 - 30 Oct 2016 10:55 #237184 by Disgustipater
We just finished Stranger Things. We thought it was good, but neither I, nor my wife get the universal raves about the show. It was fine, but it didn't grab us like some other "big" shows. Maybe we missed some of the nostalgia, but there is definitely overlap.

I'd be interested in reading the plot points of season 2 to see some resolution, but I don't know if we'll actually watch it.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2016 10:55 by Disgustipater.

More
30 Oct 2016 12:41 - 30 Oct 2016 12:48 #237189 by Mr. White
watched Men Against Fire...found it more disturbing than Nosedive or San Juniper because
Last edit: 30 Oct 2016 12:48 by Mr. White.

More
30 Oct 2016 13:54 #237192 by OldHippy

Disgustipater wrote: We just finished Stranger Things. We thought it was good, but neither I, nor my wife get the universal raves about the show. It was fine, but it didn't grab us like some other "big" shows. Maybe we missed some of the nostalgia, but there is definitely overlap.

I'd be interested in reading the plot points of season 2 to see some resolution, but I don't know if we'll actually watch it.

I didn't really love it either. I thought it was good, the ending pissed me off but it was ok. In comparing it to Black Mirror I felt that Stranger Things spent too much time and energy looking backwards while Black Mirror spent that same time and energy looking forward. Nostalgia irritates me sometimes and I feel like it's a cheap way to garner sympathy for a piece of art. I'd rather a show take a chance at alienating me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Gregarius, JEM

More
30 Oct 2016 14:25 - 30 Oct 2016 14:43 #237194 by Mr. White
hmmm...I didn't think Stranger Things was a vehicle for looking backwards. it was a decent supernatural/horror tale set in the early 80's. the same tale could have been placed in the 60s or 2020s or any era.

comparisons to back mirror are off. that's a totally different sort of of show playing on our fears of where technology could head. totally different than stranger things.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2016 14:43 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
30 Oct 2016 16:00 #237196 by OldHippy

Mr. White wrote: hmmm...I didn't think Stranger Things was a vehicle for looking backwards. it was a decent supernatural/horror tale set in the early 80's. the same tale could have been placed in the 60s or 2020s or any era.

comparisons to back mirror are off. that's a totally different sort of of show playing on our fears of where technology could head. totally different than stranger things.

When you say it like that I agree with you completely. There aren't comparable really... but they were both in the thread so I though what the hell. While I don't think Stranger Things was a vehicle for looking backwards I do think it tried to hook you in with nostalgia a little bit. It wasn't the gist of the show and it could be re-set but the way it's made is similar to how they made those kinds of films in the 80's.. it definitely borrows a style and it relies, somewhat, on nostalgia. I've seen several critics and fans of the show go on at length about the amazing 80's feel and how in line it was with other shows from that time. Close Encounters, Goonies, ET... It's very deliberately set in that time and does it to such a degree that I've even heard people say that if you grew up in that time you will probably get more out of it.

I liked the show and watched it pretty quickly so don't get me wrong... I just think that is a weakness of sorts.

More
30 Oct 2016 19:35 #237201 by hotseatgames
I watched episode 1 of Goliath, which is the Billy Bob Thornton show on Amazon Prime. It was good, and I'll watch more. He plays a lawyer who likes his alcohol, and a case lands in his lap that causes him some drama. Sounds a bit formulaic, but his acting is top notch as usual.

More
31 Oct 2016 06:56 #237208 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Mr. White wrote: watched Men Against Fire...found it more disturbing than Nosedive or San Juniper because

It's a
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
31 Oct 2016 08:01 #237211 by Mr. White
Last night I hit Black Mirror's - Playtest.

meh

More
31 Oct 2016 12:05 #237242 by Mr. White

JonJacob wrote:

Mr. White wrote: hmmm...I didn't think Stranger Things was a vehicle for looking backwards. it was a decent supernatural/horror tale set in the early 80's. the same tale could have been placed in the 60s or 2020s or any era.

When you say it like that I agree with you completely. There aren't comparable really... but they were both in the thread so I though what the hell. While I don't think Stranger Things was a vehicle for looking backwards I do think it tried to hook you in with nostalgia a little bit. It wasn't the gist of the show and it could be re-set but the way it's made is similar to how they made those kinds of films in the 80's.. it definitely borrows a style and it relies, somewhat, on nostalgia. I've seen several critics and fans of the show go on at length about the amazing 80's feel and how in line it was with other shows from that time. Close Encounters, Goonies, ET... It's very deliberately set in that time and does it to such a degree that I've even heard people say that if you grew up in that time you will probably get more out of it.

I liked the show and watched it pretty quickly so don't get me wrong... I just think that is a weakness of sorts.

So, something like The Witch is praised for evoking a time period through costume design, sets, score, etc. However, Stranger Things does it and it's relying on nostalgia as a cheap hook? I understand what you're saying about how the 80s was used to draw us in, but I find doing it well to be part of the art itself. I mean, again, The Witch isn't knocked for telling an olde tyme tale and Stranger Things took it one step further. Not only did it have to accurately portray an era...but they also went so far as to film it with a similar aesthetic to movies of the era. Granted there were no moving pictures in the 17th century for us to emulate, so The Witch is filmed with all the benefits of modern film making...and praised.

The only thing that I'm not excited about with Stranger Things is that these sorts of productions tend to be a generations real last impact culturally. Think back how in the 80s there was The Wonder Years and the 30 Something TV show. Great to serve those who grew up in the 60s (our parents), but after those and Forest Gump...not much else came out had anything to say about that era anymore outside of documentaries. Now our generation has hit the professional point of the one before where we control the medium and we get these sort of nostalgic shows like Stranger Things. Shortly after this we're gonna be heading into our 50s...some of us into retirement. I'm guessing there won't be too much media directed towards our generation in a decade. Maybe I'm over thinking it though...

Either way, glad to see you posting more regularly again, Jacob!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.776 seconds