October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
30 Nov 2016 20:44 #239524 by Grudunza

Feelitmon wrote:

JEM wrote:

Feelitmon wrote: I just watched my first episode of Black Mirror tonight, and I loathed almost everything about it. It's the episode about the kidnapped princess and an unconventional ransom demand.

That episode is dreadful, and the worst thing possible to put out as a first. If you watch anything else, I'd recommend the White Christmas special, and then San Junipero if you want something less horrific.

Last night I watched the second episode (15 Million Merits, I think it was called) and it was a huge improvement! A proper dystopia, some neat tech, and great "what would you do" moments. I'm glad to hear that the first episode is such an outlier. What a weird decision to lead with that one.

Yeah, that pig fucking episode... I liked it enough from a "this is what society is coming to" point of view to continue watching the series. But almost every other episode is better than that one. If you liked 15 Million Merits (one of my favorites), you should like a lot of the rest of them, though they do vary in quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Feelitmon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2016 03:47 #239540 by Thrun

cranberries wrote: I just finished the second season of the British comedy Spy . It is sort of wacky and absurd, and good to watch while grading. I could see the show improving, but just learned that there will be no third season. Sad emoticon.

I have a bit of a crush on her. You can see her also in "No Heroics" a very typically British Comedy about a load of "crap" super heroes. She plays She Force the super strong girl. You should check it out. The Hotness!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
01 Dec 2016 07:29 #239543 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Alright, Hot Pocket.

More
01 Dec 2016 13:20 - 01 Dec 2016 13:24 #239570 by RobertB
@Black Barney: Avatar: The Last Airbender is worth your time. Fun for kids of all ages, etc. Far, far better than the movie. My daughter would not leave me alone unless I watched Season 3 with her again. She'll be 17 in two weeks.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2016 13:24 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Dec 2016 20:15 #239993 by Michael Barnes
Simpsons 600 episode marathon on FX. Every single one.

Not really but I have had it on constantly to catch up on the last 7 or eight seasons. Some better than expected, some just bad, none as bad as the Tomacco episode or the one with the lizards.

Takeaways:

- Homer whispering loudly is the least funny thing the show has ever done. Apparently the writers never noticed this fact.

- Spider Pig should never have been referenced again.

- Pretty funny to see Dr. Marvin Monroe again.

- Sex jokes on the Simpsons always feel awkward.

- The later seasons are way too influenced by Family Guy.

- "Adult Halloween" was hilarious.

- Is it just me or is Kirk Van Houten in like every episode from the past ten years?

- The only character overused more than Homer is Ralph Wiggum.

- It's weird but it feels like I've seen all of these episodes before, even the ones I haven't.

Still the best show of all time.

More
06 Dec 2016 20:57 - 06 Dec 2016 20:58 #239996 by Grudunza
What baffles me is how they can possibly keep track of what jokes and plots they've already done. Of course, there are Simpsons nerds who probably know everything, and they might even have one on staff. And really, they do tend to recycle some of the same show ideas; Grampa giving inheritance, Marge being unsatisfied with her life and connecting with someone else, etc.

I still love it and watch faithfully, but there were some very rough years there. I seem to recall the worst being around the 15 season point. Even then, there'd still be a great episode once in a while, and usually even bad episodes had a good laugh or two. Been pretty decent the past several years, though. Hard to ever compare anything to the quality of seasons 2-9, though.

I don't remember the Tomacco one at all, but maybe that's a good thing. There was one episode a while back involving Comic Book Guy and a racetrack, that I thought was the worst. Nothing funny or original the whole show, just a lot of dumb self-referential stuff. Ah, I found it... "Saddlesore Galactica." Hmm, that's also from season 11 like the Tomacco ep. That must have been where it really started getting weak.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2016 20:58 by Grudunza.

More
06 Dec 2016 21:42 - 06 Dec 2016 22:49 #239998 by Cranberries
I watched Over the Garden Wall with my daughters, who insisted I watch it. I was just humoring them, because parenting, but it was so very good. Weird, surreal, poignant, wonderful story arc, all in ten, 12-minute episodes. It's by the creative director of Adventure Time. It's on Hulu. I am selling it hard to everyone I meet.

Weird, old-timey lounge music. Riddles within riddles. Funny stuff. A sarcastic talking Bluebird. Feels.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2016 22:49 by Cranberries. Reason: added linky link.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, ChristopherMD

More
16 Dec 2016 22:56 - 16 Dec 2016 22:58 #240834 by Cranberries
I binged Shut Eye. It stars that one buy from Burn Notice who is biologically incapable of showing emotion. He seems too young for botox, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I really like him regardless. The premise feels like it came from a bag of plot dice. It's about a fake psychic family working against their will for a Roma crime family in Los Angeles.

Metacritic rating: 50

[spoilers ahoy]

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 16 Dec 2016 22:58 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
18 Dec 2016 14:50 - 19 Dec 2016 13:21 #240873 by Shellhead
In recent weeks, I binge-watched seasons 5-7 of Sons of Anarchy, and seasons 2-3 of Sherlock.

Sons of Anarchy exceeded my limited expectations, at least in seasons 5 and 6. The plots continued to be somewhat absurd and the body count was insane, but the writing was just good enough that the excellent stars could sell it to me. Then a couple of major twists in late season 6 took two major characters out. The way one of those happened was so extreme that the writers might have felt trapped in a corner in season 7. What happened was so extreme that their stars might not be able to make it work, so they delayed revelation and reaction til near the end of the series. Fortunately, when the time came, the writers underwrote the scene, and let the actors tell some of it with body language and expression, and they did not disappoint. However, by season seven, it felt like the pace of the storytelling had slowed down somewhat, and the whole season might have worked with fewer episodes.

Sherlock is maddening. Cumberbatch and Freeman are great in the lead roles, but the writing takes too many chances and sometimes fails to fully convey the story. When the show is great, it is wonderfully witty and clever and fun. When the show stumbles, it is quirky and perplexing and a little too smug.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2016 13:21 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
18 Dec 2016 15:12 #240875 by Hadik
Enjoying Wolf Hall on Netflix *again* and now I think I want to read the books by Hilary Mantel that are behind the story. It's historical, but the best way I can describe the feeling is almost a House of Cards meets Game of Thrones. Mark Rylance (Academy Award as the Russian agent in Bridge of Spies) is fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds