October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
14 Aug 2015 14:32 #208542 by Joebot

Not Sure wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Been watching Silicon Valley season 1. I really like it, more than most people seem to. I think it has to do with my profession---I'm not in tech but I'm in a similarly overly white collar, Intellectual with a capital I profession so the characters work well for me. And man. The Peter Gregory character. So god damn funny, what a shame the actor died.

Don't stop on Season 1. There's some extremely funny stuff still to see in Season 2. I enjoy the lawyers a lot.

This is squarely aimed at me, so even when they get Hollywood stupid about tech, I'm still laughing. Mike Judge has a golden touch.

I loved season 1 of Silicon Valley, but season 2 was even better. It surpassed Veep for my favorite comedy on TV. I'm in the IT industry, and this show hits painfully close to home. There's a amazing line from the first season when Jared is trying to introduce the Agile software methodology to the team, and Gilfoyle refers to it as something like "MBA 101 mind-control bullshit." NAILED IT.

I'm about halfway through Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and enjoying it a lot. It's been years since I read the book, but I remember the Gentlemen with the Thisledown Hair a little differently from the way he's characterized on the show. I remember him being almost childlike and oblivious to his cruelty. Like, he really doesn't know what he's doing. The show seems to portray him as more intentionally malicious. It's not a big deal, but I found the book portrayal more interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2015 22:36 #208925 by hotseatgames
Mr. Robot, bringing it HARD. Damn that's a great show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, trif

More
21 Aug 2015 17:01 #208988 by KingPut
Finished season 1 of Netflixs Sense8. The series sucked me in but I glad it did. After the first episode I thought this was going to be another Lost or Heros but I really enjoyed each episode. I never would have watched a show about an Africn bus driver, a transgender hacker, a gay Mexican actor, a Korean female corporate exec but together it works.

More
21 Aug 2015 17:18 #208989 by repoman
Watched a BBC mini series from 1983 called Tbe Jewel in the Crown on Netflix. It's about classism and racism in the twilight days of the British Raj in India. Despite being set during WW2 there is almost no action. This kind of thing should bore me to tears or put me to sleep. The funny thing is I found it fascinating and engrossing. Being filmed on location in India didn't hurt but it is really a testament to the great writing and especially the dialog. I highly recommend it.

More
21 Aug 2015 17:29 #208990 by Michael Barnes
Contracted a bout of Doctor Who Fever after getting addicted to the little match-3 IOS game over the weekend...so I got caught up with Capaldi and watched some old stuff that I haven't seen since I was kid watching on PBS.

I _like_ Capaldi. It's definitely a different take than the kind-of-too-similar Tennant/Smith Doctor. He's a bastard! I love how he kind of antagonizes Clara and his general bad attitude toward everything. But then, he turns out to be a good guy. This Doctor plays up some of the more acerbic, antisocial aspects of the character. Some of the episodes have been pretty good, the bank heist one was great as was "Silence" (I think that was the title?). Liked "Kill the Moon" too despite it being especially absurd, even for Doctor Who. The obligatory Dalek episode was, as usual, not really that great. And it REALLY reminded me of that bit from the Avengers Kree-Skrull War storyline where they get micronized and go inside of Vision. The Robin Hood one was kind of fun, but pretty dumb.

I also finally watched the 50th anniversary show, which was super dorky but awesome. Loved all the Gallifrey stuff, the War Doctor and so forth. Fun stuff with lots of callbacks.

As for the old stuff...I never really watched much Sylvester McCoy so I checked out "Curse of Fenric", which was very good but a little draggy. Viking vampire fish people, yes. Lots of boring exposition with random Russians, no.

"Caves of Androzani" was, as is its reputation, great. Definitely Peter Davison's finest hour. A cool story (involving bat poop and androids) that works despite the usual stageplay limitations. The shame of this one is that David Bowie was supposed to play Sherak Jex but couldn't due to the Serious Moonlight tour. How awesome that would have been to have Bowie on a Doctor Who episode.

I watched the very first Dalek episode, the old William Hartnett one. Man, those early episodes are kind of tough to get through. They're stuck in this ancient, Victorian parlor room drama mindset. When they do actually get to the adventuring, it's just not nearly as realized as Trek was around the same time. But the first appearance of the Daleks was cool to see.

Of course I had to watch some Tom Baker stuff, he still completely rules.

I still have never seen a single Patrick Troughton or Colin Baker episode. Working on fixing that tonight.

More
22 Aug 2015 01:12 #209015 by Cranberries
I've begun watching Bojack Horseman, because the second season has INSANE reviews. I'm on season one/ep. three, and it is slowly getting better.

More
23 Aug 2015 22:45 #209110 by KingPut
Just started Rectify. I like it so far after 3 episodes. What's the word should I stick with it?

More
24 Aug 2015 10:09 #209129 by Gregarius
I've been watching The Fall, a Netflix/BBC show about a serial killer in Belfast. It's only two six-episode seasons, and I'm midway through the second.

Gillian Anderson plays the lead British investigator, and she's pretty damn good. There are plenty of unexpected twists throughout, but definitely not in the way you'd expect from a Hollywood production. My favorite thing about the show is that it's like the anti-CSI or whatever. Instead of everyone talking loud and fast and full of technobabble bullshit, everyone is slow and calm and methodical. They don't over-explain everything, and sometimes don't explain things at all. It's, dare I say it-- subtle.

More
28 Aug 2015 11:47 #209474 by Green Lantern
Watched the Homeland pilot episode last night and I'll say I enjoyed it and it hooked me, so thanks to all the board game hype around here I've picked up a new series. Coincidentally, that's how I got into Spartacus and that worked out well. Should I stop at season one or are the follow up seasons of Homeland worth watching?

More
28 Aug 2015 14:34 #209496 by airmarkus
I also stopped at Season 1 of Homeland so I'll be interested to hear what people have to say.-

More
28 Aug 2015 14:35 #209498 by charlest
Season one is the best but I enjoyed them all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
28 Aug 2015 14:37 #209500 by OldHippy

craniac wrote: I've begun watching Bojack Horseman, because the second season has INSANE reviews. I'm on season one/ep. three, and it is slowly getting better.

I still haven't seen the second season but I loved the first one. One of my favorites from the last few years for sure.

More
31 Aug 2015 11:28 #209643 by Shellhead
Halfway through Dollhouse, season 2. I'm a big fan of Joss Whedon, but this show is problematic. I really like the actors that he is using, but having seen them in various shows or movies before, I am now recognizing that most of them operate well within a very limited range. None of them are playing characters that I like. The ethical challenges would be more interesting if these characters were more heroic. And the story has become convoluted in that typical epsionage hall of mirrors sort of way. And the inherent concept of the Dollhouse strains credibility. The concept is too controversial for the general public to tolerate, but the company somehow has no problem marketing to a wide range of upper middle class and rich clients. It's possible that the show is building towards a satisfying conclusion, but given my current level of dissatisfaction, that seems unlikely.

So far, my favorite episode is the one that featured the top scientists of two different Dollhouses interacting. They are both brimming over with mutual admiration and affection for one another, while scheming furiously to accomplish their respective agendas while working in the same room. All this, while spewing a mixture of endearing nerdiness and technobabble. It's both funny and self-deprecating with respect to the show.

More
31 Aug 2015 13:11 #209656 by Msample

charlest wrote: Season one is the best but I enjoyed them all.

Agreed. While there are some weak spots in later season, as a whole its a good series to watch.

More
31 Aug 2015 13:27 #209658 by Black Barney
I watched the entire pilot episode of FEAR THE WALKING DEAD. What a total pile. Glad I won't even bother with this series.

With Daily Show over, I'm so lost as to what to watch anymore. I'm just playing video games mostly now. Gonna sign up for some dance classes instead. Time to meet some people.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.812 seconds