October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
10 Jan 2018 20:12 #260678 by the_jake_1973
The Wife and I rather enjoyed End of the Fucking World on Netflix. A coming of age story about a young serial killer and his prospective victim who is on a road trip to find her dad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2018 20:15 #260679 by repoman

the_jake_1973 wrote: The Wife and I rather enjoyed End of the Fucking World on Netflix. A coming of age story about a young serial killer and his prospective victim who is on a road trip to find her dad.

Was it as horrible as it sounds?

More
10 Jan 2018 20:17 #260680 by the_jake_1973

repoman wrote:

the_jake_1973 wrote: The Wife and I rather enjoyed End of the Fucking World on Netflix. A coming of age story about a young serial killer and his prospective victim who is on a road trip to find her dad.

Was it as horrible as it sounds?

We enjoyed it. The writing was decent and the inner monologues of the two kids add dark humor. If it was an American show, I think it would have sucked.

More
10 Jan 2018 21:22 #260685 by hotseatgames
Everyone on this site who recommended Detectorists, I thank you. This is a wonderful show and a real breath of fresh air.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
12 Jan 2018 11:15 #260783 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: I find myself oddly intrigued by the new, morally repellent and lascivious Devilman: Crybaby anime that Netflix has produced. I've always loved Go Nagai's style but other than bits and pieces (and lots of Mazinger) I've never caught much of the older Devilman.

I watched the first four episodes last night entirely off your mention that it was Bakshi-like. The devil animation and transformations are great. Just about everything else is not. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the general animation style because some of it is well-done traditional anime, some is the gorgeous, disgusting pseudo rotoscoped Bakshi stuff, and some is terrible.

More
12 Jan 2018 13:03 #260788 by Shellhead
Still working my way through season 3 of Game of Thrones. The next episode is titled The Rains of Castamere, and as a fan of the books, I know that this will feature the infamous Red Wedding. I saw some great reaction shots of unsuspecting non-readers when this aired years ago, so it should be intense.

I'm neither an anglophile nor an anglophobe, though I have watched more than a few BBC tv shows over the years. But thanks to Game of Thrones, I am hitting my limit for the British pronunciation of "stupid." It's a simple, two-syllable word, and is pronounced "stoo-pid." It is not a long, three-syllable word which is pronounced "stew-yew-pid," and it feels like it's the female actors that are really dragging this word out long. Please just say it and move on without making a big fucking production out of one word.

More
12 Jan 2018 14:45 #260797 by ChristopherMD

Shellhead wrote: I'm neither an anglophile nor an anglophobe, though I have watched more than a few BBC tv shows over the years. But thanks to Game of Thrones, I am hitting my limit for the British pronunciation of "stupid." It's a simple, two-syllable word, and is pronounced "stoo-pid." It is not a long, three-syllable word which is pronounced "stew-yew-pid," and it feels like it's the female actors that are really dragging this word out long. Please just say it and move on without making a big fucking production out of one word.

Now you have some idea how I felt reading the first book and constantly seeing Sir spelled as Ser.

More
12 Jan 2018 14:54 #260799 by RobertB
Or 'maester'. Why isn't it a 'draygon'?

More
12 Jan 2018 15:03 #260800 by bronb

Shellhead wrote: I'm neither an anglophile nor an anglophobe, though I have watched more than a few BBC tv shows over the years. But thanks to Game of Thrones, I am hitting my limit for the British pronunciation of "stupid." It's a simple, two-syllable word, and is pronounced "stoo-pid." It is not a long, three-syllable word which is pronounced "stew-yew-pid," and it feels like it's the female actors that are really dragging this word out long. Please just say it and move on without making a big fucking production out of one word.

Incorrect.
It is pronounced "stoo-pid" if you are American.
If you "have watched more than a few BBC tv shows over the years" then you ought to know we pronounce it "stew-pid".

CAPTCHA to post? Very discouraging.

More
12 Jan 2018 15:07 #260801 by Shellhead

bronb wrote:

Incorrect.
It is pronounced "stoo-pid" if you are American.
If you "have watched more than a few BBC tv shows over the years" then you ought to know we pronounce it "stew-pid".

CAPTCHA to post? Very discouraging.

Thanks to BBC, I am okay with "stew-pid." But some of the folks on Game of Thrones really drag the word out for extreme emphasis, and it becomes annoying.

The Captcha thing might be because you're a first-time poster, just to screen out spam bots.

More
13 Jan 2018 04:38 - 13 Jan 2018 04:39 #260824 by __
Replied by __ on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
yeah, you should know that Americans are the last authority on how to speak ENGLISH. LOL, stoopid just sounds fucking stoopid, so much so that in England we use the word "stoopid" to mean "especially stupid". It doesnt even follow your own stoopid rules for spelling shit how it sounds.

Brooklyn 99 is great, only just found that, restores my faith a bit in american TV though I see now that the 3 series on netflix are not the sum of it and at least 2 more series to follow. More of a fan of the British style of tv shows which are much more often a handful of episodes, maybe a couple of seasons and then leave it while its good and you want more.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2018 04:39 by __.

More
14 Jan 2018 12:59 #260905 by bronb

Shellhead wrote: But some of the folks on Game of Thrones really drag the word out for extreme emphasis, and it becomes annoying.
The Captcha thing might be because you're a first-time poster, just to screen out spam bots.

Maybe whoever it is has an American drawl and it passes over to the imitation English accent? Or it's an attempt at a GoT local dialect?
Fair point, hope CAPTCHA goes away.

Tron wrote: ...in England we use the word "stoopid" to mean "especially stupid".

Jeez, that piss-take slang is becoming more widespread? Fuck...

More
15 Jan 2018 13:16 #260990 by __
Replied by __ on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
haha :)

if you want to upgrade your disgust of the pronounciation of "stupid" try enunciating the word "mature" in a similar manner, with hard accent on the t and the "tyoo" sound.

of course, you can then just watch some "Snuff Box" or anything with Matt Berry playing a posh bloke in it and you will soon learn to love the comedy overly theatrical way of talking like that.

hhhhhwhhhhissskeyyy!

More
15 Jan 2018 13:21 #260993 by SuperflyPete
Fun Fact: Historians agree that Eastern American accents are more representative of Shakespearean era English ones. Apparently the elongation of sounds was developed by the wealthy Brits as a virtue signal and the poor caught on to the game and did the same, changing the entire culture’s accent in a relatively short period of time. Sort of how white suburbanites started listening to rap and gained a mysteriously ‘hood accent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
15 Jan 2018 14:34 #260997 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
If you're limiting the notion to the absurdity that is RP, which is used by literally* nobody outside of BBC more or less, then there may be a point. The flat vowels of my homeland in Yorkshire have less in common with RP than with any number of colonial patois that might be compared. The unfathomable dialects of the Smoggies, Brummies and Geordies bear little in common with the plum-stuffed mouths of the Ally Pally either.

This is an urban myth, largely pushed by Appalachian tourist boards.

I always imagine the founding fathers talked like Frasier off the telly. If that's the kind of thing then sure. It has no bearing on provincial accents in the British mainland, which would be obvious to anyone who spent any time listening to people there.

*figuratively.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.534 seconds