October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
26 Mar 2018 22:06 - 26 Mar 2018 22:06 #266408 by Sagrilarus

Mad Dog wrote: Frontier - Came across this show randomly and its surprisingly good. Its a historical drama set around 1700's Canada fur trade where Hudson Bay Company is trying to maintain a monopoly through whatever means necessary while other characters want in on the area fur trade. Stars Jason Momoa as a friend of the natives who tries to keep the monopoly broken with extreme prejudice.

Warning — one seriously brutal, violent murder scene in the first minute of the first episode in this show. I was too far away from the remote turn the shit off before my boy saw it.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2018 22:06 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2018 22:41 #266413 by Michael Barnes
When I was a kid, I always wanted to watch Robin of Sherwood. But I didn’t have Showtime. Amazon has the first season on Prime so I have finally started watching it after waiting like 30 years.

Wow, it was really ahead of its time! Like, seriously...other than a few dubious coiffures and some HORRID Clannad music, it doesn’t really seem that dated. Like many modern shows, it’s more cinematic than usual for TV - especially British TV. All shot on film, all on locations. It also goes a little dark- it’s pretry much classic Robin Hood stuff but they added some grit to it. Will Scarlet (a very young Ray Winstone) has a dark back story hat earned him is name, for example. And there is full on PAGANISM and DEVIL WORSHIP. When Little John shows up for he quarterstaff duel, he’s possessed and has a pentagram drawn on his chest. The main villain (other than the Sherriff and Guy) is a black magic sorcerer! There’s a touch of fantasy that makes the classic stories even more interesting, including the old chosen one/it is the prophecy chestnut.

I’ve only watched three but I think it rates with Errol Flynn and the Disney one.

More
26 Mar 2018 23:56 - 26 Mar 2018 23:59 #266415 by Mr. White
I'm a huge fan of Robin of Sherwood...even the Clannad score. Ranks as a top three show.

I believe this is the telling that first inserted a Saracen into the band of merry men. Also, I thought I read an interview that Winstone played Will as 'the first football hooligan'. Can definitely see that.

I always thought this series was a great companion piece to Boorman's Excalibur.

The kids are hooked on this Australian show called Little Lunch. It's a mockumentary in the Guest/Office style about 6 grade school kids during their lunch break. It's actually fairly well written and great for adults as well.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2018 23:59 by Mr. White.

More
27 Mar 2018 01:41 #266416 by Cranberries
I've been binging The Magicians, having read the trilogy a few years ago. It has some surprisingly delightful moments in the midsts of all the millennial moping about.

More
27 Mar 2018 04:05 #266417 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Mr. White wrote: The kids are hooked on this Australian show called Little Lunch. It's a mockumentary in the Guest/Office style about 6 grade school kids during their lunch break. It's actually fairly well written and great for adults as well.

Little Lunch is filmed at the school that my kids went to for a couple of years so it always has that weird quality for me seeing the familiar setting from different angles.

More
27 Mar 2018 08:46 #266420 by hotseatgames
I watched the premier of the new season of Silicon Valley. It was decent. Hopefully it steps up its game this year, as last year was kind of flat.

Also watched the premier of Barry, about a hit man who decides he wants to be an actor. Seems okay so far.

More
27 Mar 2018 08:58 - 27 Mar 2018 09:23 #266422 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: When I was a kid, I always wanted to watch Robin of Sherwood. But I didn’t have Showtime. Amazon has the first season on Prime so I have finally started watching it after waiting like 30 years.

Wow, it was really ahead of its time! Like, seriously...other than a few dubious coiffures and some HORRID Clannad music, it doesn’t really seem that dated. Like many modern shows, it’s more cinematic than usual for TV - especially British TV. All shot on film, all on locations. It also goes a little dark- it’s pretry much classic Robin Hood stuff but they added some grit to it. Will Scarlet (a very young Ray Winstone) has a dark back story hat earned him is name, for example. And there is full on PAGANISM and DEVIL WORSHIP. When Little John shows up for he quarterstaff duel, he’s possessed and has a pentagram drawn on his chest. The main villain (other than the Sherriff and Guy) is a black magic sorcerer! There’s a touch of fantasy that makes the classic stories even more interesting, including the old chosen one/it is the prophecy chestnut.

I’ve only watched three but I think it rates with Errol Flynn and the Disney one.

I recall it from when it was on television years back.
Warning: Spoiler!

I took a quick look at Robin Hood last night and discovered how rough low def TV looks to me now.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2018 09:23 by Sagrilarus.

More
27 Mar 2018 09:14 #266424 by Shellhead
For the first time in over 20 years, I watched Sixty Minutes on Sunday night. Skipping over the president's bad behavior and the current political ramifications, I just wanted to mention the format of the show. Anderson Cooper had a very direct, clear, simple way of asking questions, as though he was dumbing it down for some really impaired viewers. It also seemed like the show re-hashed the same material repeatedly during the hour, even replaying certain segments of the interview a few extra times. I don't know if this is normal for Sixty Minutes, or if they were just milking a limited interview to fill out the whole hour.

More
27 Mar 2018 09:15 - 27 Mar 2018 09:19 #266425 by Mr. White
Major spoiler for the series there, Sag. You may want to put all that in tags...

For what it's worth, I think they pulled it off.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2018 09:19 by Mr. White.

More
27 Mar 2018 09:22 - 27 Mar 2018 09:24 #266426 by Sagrilarus

Mr. White wrote: Major spoiler for the series there, Sag. You may want to put all that in tags...

For what it's worth, I think they pulled it off.

I did not recall that. Will do.

Considering the show is 30 years old I think word may be out.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2018 09:24 by Sagrilarus.

More
27 Mar 2018 09:23 #266427 by hotseatgames

Shellhead wrote: For the first time in over 20 years, I watched Sixty Minutes on Sunday night. Skipping over the president's bad behavior and the current political ramifications, I just wanted to mention the format of the show. Anderson Cooper had a very direct, clear, simple way of asking questions, as though he was dumbing it down for some really impaired viewers. It also seemed like the show re-hashed the same material repeatedly during the hour, even replaying certain segments of the interview a few extra times. I don't know if this is normal for Sixty Minutes, or if they were just milking a limited interview to fill out the whole hour.

I haven't seen that interview yet. I used to watch 60 Minutes a lot. I was sad when Ed Bradley died. He was great.

More
27 Mar 2018 09:24 - 27 Mar 2018 09:26 #266428 by Sagrilarus
According to Clifford's lawyer, Sixty Minutes filmed two hours worth of material.

The liberal press I stumbled on was discussing that Cooper more or less softballed Clifford, not really pressing her for details. Scarborough thought she didn't seem credible and Cooper didn't lean in on that.

I haven't watched 60 Minutes in years, so I can't speak to whether it has changed or not.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2018 09:26 by Sagrilarus.

More
27 Mar 2018 09:31 #266429 by Black Barney
From the sounds of it, they didn’t have any smoking gun or anything so the show ended up just being a major ratings grab instead of being News

More
27 Mar 2018 09:35 #266430 by Shellhead
60 Minutes treated Clifford like a real person, especially compared to the mockery that she faced on Jimmy Kimmel's show. Cooper's tone was stern but straight-forward, and Clifford's responses sounded credible. If she is a liar, she is a very skilled one, with none of the usual tells. I thought that the part about the thug threatening her in the parking lot sounded too corny to be real, but have since read that other people involved in litigation with Trump have received similar threats. If they filmed two hours worth of material, it appeared that only about 30 minutes was broadcast, and the best parts were shown repeatedly during the hour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Mar 2018 23:53 #266471 by Gary Sax
Also, remember that the average age of a sixty minutes viewer is, I believe, somewhere in the 60s. I'm not joking. So it's something to keep in mind when you think about how the material being presented clarity-wise.

Just looked it up, 62.8 mean from 2015.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.760 seconds