October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
22 Apr 2018 14:26 #267978 by SuperflyPete
Wife: Sex and the City (for a third time)
17YO: Criminal Minds, Supernatural
8YO: My Little Pony:FIM, Some Assembly Required
Me: Lost In Space
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2018 16:35 - 22 Apr 2018 19:13 #267983 by Black Barney
I’m watching Criminal Minds too! Man the scripts for this show are sometimes sooooo bad

Man, my capacity to read a room is getting worse and worse with age. I’m at McDonalds and Emily is in the play area having fun. I’m bored so I start watching YouTube clips (there’s nobody around me), and end up settling on The Sopranos. Fast forward five minutes and I realize my phone is broadcasting f-bombs at full volume in a goddamn MacDonalds. I was so mad at myself I started swearing out loud at myself. I must look like a total lunatic unbalanced prick.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2018 19:13 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
22 Apr 2018 20:12 #268003 by the_jake_1973
The new Lost in Space show, I am digging it. I think they got the sibling dynamics down pretty good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
23 Apr 2018 05:14 #268017 by Black Barney
For not having ever seen the original Lost in Space, imagine my surprise that I had a pretty emotional reaction to the trailer when the robot says, “danger will Robinson “. Seems pretty good

More
23 Apr 2018 07:52 #268020 by hotseatgames
Westworld season 2 premier was pretty decent. Not earth-shattering, but sets up what will surely be some interesting surprises.

More
23 Apr 2018 09:51 #268030 by Joebot

hotseatgames wrote: Westworld season 2 premier was pretty decent. Not earth-shattering, but sets up what will surely be some interesting surprises.

Yeah, I thought it was just okay. A bit too long and plodding. I'm starting to pick up some "Lost" vibes, which I guess shouldn't be surprising since JJ Abrams is the executive producer, and Abrams is a fucking hack. So far, on Westworld we have:

- Mysterious island.
- Weird, shady corporation with some as-yet-unknown nefarious plan.
- Hidden underground hatches with unknown purpose.
- Multiple characters spread across the island, each seeking their own redemptive character arc.
- Ham-fisted philosophy that tries to sound deep and profound, but it really just kind of nonsense
- Characters who speak to each other in maddening riddles, instead of TALKING to each other like actual humans (or human facsimiles, in this case)
- Flashbacks

Anyway, I still enjoyed it (I enjoyed Lost too, back in the day), but it's just not as compelling as it seems to think it is. Clearly, HBO wants this to be their Game of Thrones replacement, even slotting the show into the spring premiere that GoT would normally take. This show is nowhere near as fun and entertaining as GoT. It's just too cold and clinical. There's no character here that I like, or want to root for. The show is interesting, in a "I wonder what happens next" sort of way, but there's no emotional engagement at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample

More
23 Apr 2018 09:58 #268031 by SuperflyPete
Netflix is making some bad ass shows. The Killing, Lost In Space, Altered Carbon...

More
23 Apr 2018 10:16 #268033 by Black Barney
I’m almost done watching 10.21.63 , so glad it’s almost over. Giving him amnesia at the end ... I dunno... I don’t remember that from the book at all. Seems way too easy. I’ll finish it on Friday

More
23 Apr 2018 10:21 #268034 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: Netflix is making some bad ass shows. The Killing, Lost In Space, Altered Carbon...

Man, The Killing was great. Was so happy to see Netflix resurrect it after AMC killed it. I don't think Joel Kinnaman will ever surpass his role of Holder in his career.

More
23 Apr 2018 11:48 #268046 by SuperflyPete
The line “The Captain makes me a better crime fighter” (referring to Captain Crunch) is literally a weekly saying in our home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
23 Apr 2018 12:11 #268049 by charlest
That's a great one. I like to randomly pull out "think of me as your sensei in the blood sport of life" and "just gotta row with the flow, like my man Bruce Lee."

More
01 May 2018 22:08 #272449 by Sevej
Finally finished Gundam, all 43 episodes.

It's definitely an anime series about war. If my memory serves me, not a single episode is without something blowing or someone killed. Of course, it's probably the product of the era. Unlike most new series which focus on characters interaction, this is definitely about war. The series tell the story about the ship White Base and its crew throughout the war, and it's never delayed--not by character angst, school festivals or love stories. It's just going forward. Even when affected by war-weariness or defection, the crew rarely loses (much) of its combat effectiveness. The small bits of non-war things that made it to the series are just the right amount, with characters having their development without hindering the overall pace.

Also unlike other Gundam series, while the White Base is important, it's not the only thing in the war. A lot of other things happen. Battles were truly massive, with lots of death and destruction (and repetitive animation).

If you are interested in anyway in Gundam and have the time, you may want to see this. Or at the very least the abridged version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

More
06 May 2018 20:00 #272749 by stoic

STRIKE FIRST...STRIKE HARD....NO MERCY

I just binged watched Cobra Kai. It's a clever post-script to the movie The Karate Kid. It had a few rough patches, but, overall, I thought that it was well done, and, very funny.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
06 May 2018 20:23 #272752 by hotseatgames
I've been watching The Killing, based on the recommendations here. I am enjoying it, although I've seen very similar shows / plots before.

More
06 May 2018 20:35 #272753 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote: I've been watching The Killing, based on the recommendations here. I am enjoying it, although I've seen very similar shows / plots before.

I am so over detective shows. My wife has watched The Killing, The Fall, Broadchurch, etc. multiple times each. While I'm not actively watching them, I'm still in the room and I'm sick of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.561 seconds