October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
16 Nov 2015 22:07 #215207 by Grudunza

Not Sure wrote: Been slightly eying Man in the High Castle, although I'm fearful about what happens to PKD books on screen.

Really? Blade Runner... Minority Report... the original Total Recall? They haven't all been that good, but those are all high quality films. I haven't read the source material, though, so I can't speak to the adaptations. Seeing as High Castle is a series, presumably they're expanding whatever the original story was. Seems really good so far, though, regardless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2015 22:44 #215211 by Not Sure
I still love Blade Runner, but it has about as much to do with the book as the Will Smith I, Robot. That's the usual problem I have with PKD adaptions. Sometimes they become a good movie in spite of themselves, but they're never using the source material as much more than a jumping off point. It's like the director overheard someone describing the novel in a bar, then filmed a movie based on that.

The rotoscoped A Scanner Darkly might be the most faithful PKD adaptation I've seen. I don't think it did very well, but I liked it.

More
17 Nov 2015 18:18 #215286 by Michael Barnes
Watched the third Ash vs. Evil Dead...

Ash- "Maybe if we get done in time we can stop for churros. Hold on, that's not a racist thing, that's just a great dessert."
Pablo- "You do know I'm not Mexican don't you?"
Ash- "That's the spirit!"

I _rarely_ laugh at TV shows not called The Simpsons, but so far I've laughed a bunch at this show. The comedy is really well done, and I like that the writers/directors give the characters TIME to be funny. Half of this episode was dialogue in a car between the leads.

But then we get into some Khandar deadite business, and it was...new! Very different direction. Won't spoil it, but they get tangled up with a different sort of deadite. The effects work on it were really cool too.

They are doing that "but what does it all mean" crap, introducing characters/plot points that will likely take weeks to resolve...but so far I don't mind. Lucy Lawless is in it now as one of those mystery characters.

"Sounds like a lot of yappenin' but not much happenin'"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
17 Nov 2015 21:14 - 17 Nov 2015 21:15 #215305 by hotseatgames
I'm an alone wolf.

Half done with the 3rd and final season of Hannibal. This season started slowly, but man is it humming now. What a crazy show, beautifully shot, and violent as all hell.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 21:15 by hotseatgames.

More
18 Nov 2015 01:19 #215322 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote:
"Sounds like a lot of yappenin' but not much happenin'"

That made me laugh when I watched it last night. Told it to my 3 year old this morning when she wasn't eating her waffle -- she thought it was hilarious, so I guess I'm in good company.

More
21 Nov 2015 11:42 #215554 by ChristopherMD
Watched first episode of Jessica Jones. Quality so far is just as good as Daredevil. Gaming today, but will probably binge watch a few more tomorrow.

More
21 Nov 2015 15:05 #215568 by hotseatgames
I also watched ep 1 of Jessica Jones. Not bad and I'll probably watch more. I was mainly screening it to see if it was kid-appropriate. IT IS NOT.

Finished Hannibal. Third and final season was okay, but I think I'd have been happier if it had ended at season 2. Definitely a recommended series if you are willing to accept a few plot holes.

More
21 Nov 2015 23:30 #215590 by D_S
Replied by D_S on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

hotseatgames wrote: I also watched ep 1 of Jessica Jones. Not bad and I'll probably watch more. I was mainly screening it to see if it was kid-appropriate. IT IS NOT.

Undoubtedly. I'm watching it, too. I finished two episodes. It reminds me of Daredevil, which was so good that, in retrospect, it's probably the reason I wasn't that interested in picking up Flash or Arrow this season.

More
22 Nov 2015 09:11 #215597 by ThirstyMan
I really like Jessica Jones but hated Daredevil with a passion. I like how fucking scary the bad guy is (hated the Wilson Fisk character from DD) and I love that she's already experienced the fear and really doesn't want to do it again.

I love it's not ALL about fucking fighting but definitely all about messing with your mind.

Steamy sex, scary encounters, drugs...what's not to like?

More
22 Nov 2015 11:35 #215610 by SuperFlySwatter
May I humbly recommend the french cop series "Engrenages" (called Spiral in english, and I believe made in conjunction with BBC so easy to download with hard coded subtitles in english - think the actual translation is Gears actually). Its gritty and downbeat, onto the 5th season and is absolutely fantastic. Not to mention Audrey Fleurot is in it, and she is particularly easy on the (my) eyes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Nov 2015 11:49 #215617 by ThirstyMan
Thanks for that. Might it be on Netflix in France?

More
22 Nov 2015 12:07 - 22 Nov 2015 17:12 #215621 by SuperFlySwatter
I always download it from eztv but I'm not sure if Netflix would have it, the last series has only just finished and I think its quite a big show over there so maybe not.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 17:12 by SuperFlySwatter. Reason: finished watching the finale of S5

More
23 Nov 2015 09:25 #215693 by Joebot

hotseatgames wrote: I also watched ep 1 of Jessica Jones. Not bad and I'll probably watch more. I was mainly screening it to see if it was kid-appropriate. IT IS NOT.

You mean like the scene in the pilot when Luke rolls Jessica over so he can take her from behind? That's not kid-friendly??

I'm 3 episodes in, and I like the show a lot. It fits thematically with Daredevil -- dark, moody, violent. But the plot is more of a slow burn. Three episodes in, and we've seen the bad guy for all of about five seconds! It's effective though, since Kilgrave primarily works through other people.

More
23 Nov 2015 09:33 #215695 by Shellhead
I'm torn about watching Jessica Jones. On the one hand, I hate the writing of Brian Michael Bendis, the creator of this character and the writer of most of her appearances. On the other hand, I am a big fan of Krysten Ritter and want to see more of her work. I've been hearing good things about the show online these last few days, but so far no direct comparison between the Alias comics and the show Jessica Jones.

More
25 Nov 2015 13:27 #215903 by KingPut

ThirstyMan wrote: I really like Jessica Jones but hated Daredevil with a passion. I like how fucking scary the bad guy is (hated the Wilson Fisk character from DD) and I love that she's already experienced the fear and really doesn't want to do it again.
I love it's not ALL about fucking fighting but definitely all about messing with your mind.
Steamy sex, scary encounters, drugs...what's not to like?

David Tennant, Kilgrave is the best villain since Heath Ledgers, Joker. I've torn through 6 episodes in 3 days. About half way though. I'm really digging the writing, acting and story.

With my youngest spawn, I've continued to watch the Guardian's of the Galaxy cartoon and Super Girl both are fun and much more family appropriate than Jessica Jones. However, I did recommend Jessica Jones to my college age daughter. And I think we've given up on Shield this season.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.533 seconds