October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
27 Jan 2016 10:35 #220907 by Columbob

Michael Barnes wrote: Duchovny looks like he's barely aged at all, Anderson looks probably better than she used to but her makeup was really bad- it was wildly inconsistent.

Skinner's the one who hasn't looked like he aged, but have you noticed how older men grow beards to hide their face wrinkles?

But Anderson...was it really just bad makeup? Something seemed off to me right from the start, and my gf and I agree that there's probably some botox involved over the cheekbones, which makes her cheeks seem hollower than before (also fewer moving parts in the face when she speaks). Pretty higher hairline. Her forehead seemed too smooth, until she raised her eyebrows. She looked better when the hair was down than up in a bun for her medical practice.

I dvr'ed the episode, and stupid preceding televised football was longer than expected (as usual) so we missed the final 24 minutes. Thankfully the episode is up on the network's Web site and it's supposed to air again this weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2016 10:37 - 27 Jan 2016 10:37 #220908 by Columbob

Shellhead wrote: I only enjoyed the standalone episodes from the original X-Files run. The never-ending conspiracy bs was a waste of time, especially after it became apparent that Carter was just making it up as he went along. That, and the unceasing will-they-or-won't-they speculation about Scully hooking up with Mulder was too much sizzle and not enough steak. I have no plans to watch this reboot.

It's just a 6 episode run, forming a standalone episodes sandwich apparently.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2016 10:37 by Columbob.

More
27 Jan 2016 12:15 #220913 by Sagrilarus

Columbob wrote: . . . and stupid preceding televised football was longer than expected (as usual) so we missed the final 24 minutes.

The game finished on time. It was the lineup of usual football douchebags talking about what everyone had just seen that ran over the scheduled window for the game. The game was a rout, so I'm not sure why we needed to hear it all reviewed again.

S.

More
27 Jan 2016 12:55 #220915 by Grudunza
Anyone here watching The 100? It's a CW network show, and I've heard two different comparisons over the past few days to BSG, in terms of quality and feel. That has me intrigued, but I'm gonna need some more encouragement to jump in, as it's already into the 3rd season and I'm already wary of adding anything more to my watch-list.

More
27 Jan 2016 15:21 #220926 by Msample
Its on the CW network, which has never produced anything I've been interested in, although I hear good things about ARROW. But yeah lately The 100 seems to have garnered more attention/press considering its on its third season.

More
27 Jan 2016 15:55 #220928 by Shellhead

Msample wrote: Its on the CW network, which has never produced anything I've been interested in, although I hear good things about ARROW. But yeah lately The 100 seems to have garnered more attention/press considering its on its third season.

Arrow is a decent superhero show with a strong dose of soap opera mixed in. Maybe 20% or 25% soap.

More
27 Jan 2016 16:25 #220929 by Joebot

Shellhead wrote:

Msample wrote: Its on the CW network, which has never produced anything I've been interested in, although I hear good things about ARROW. But yeah lately The 100 seems to have garnered more attention/press considering its on its third season.

Arrow is a decent superhero show with a strong dose of soap opera mixed in. Maybe 20% or 25% soap.

That seems like an accurate assessment to me. To be fair though, the superhero genre has ALWAYS had a strong dose of soap opera melodrama. Arrow (and The Flash) just wear those influences openly. And because they're on the CW, everyone is ridiculously attractive, which gives them even more of a soap opera feel. They're fun shows though, and I like both of them a lot. The Flash is maybe a little easier to get into. Arrow takes a little while to get going, but The Flash gets up to speed (sorry) much more quickly.

I've never watched The 100, but I might check it out. i just finished watching season 2 of Penny Dreadful (review: really fucking great), and need something to watch next!

More
27 Jan 2016 16:34 - 27 Jan 2016 16:34 #220931 by ChristopherMD
I liked the first 2 seasons of The 100 and will watch the 3rd, but its far from must see tv and nothing like BSG. If you want BSG quality watch The Expanse.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2016 16:34 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, johnnyspys

More
27 Jan 2016 19:27 #220938 by Cranberries

I dvr'ed the episode, and stupid preceding televised football was longer than expected (as usual) so we missed the final 24 minutes. Thankfully the episode is up on the network's Web site and it's supposed to air again this weekend.

This sounds like a job for bittorrent.

More
28 Jan 2016 01:13 - 28 Jan 2016 01:20 #220951 by Grudunza

Mad Dog wrote: I liked the first 2 seasons of The 100 and will watch the 3rd, but its far from must see tv and nothing like BSG. If you want BSG quality watch The Expanse.

Hadn't even heard of that. Will check it out. Thanks!

Not to live and die by these ratings, but The 100 has 7.9 on iMDB and 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, and Expanse has 8.3 on iMDB but only 75% on RT. Interesting that there's a difference there with one rated higher at each place. I like the idea of giving the Expanse a shot, though, as it just started up last fall and should be an easier commitment.

Probably not a great time to start anything new, with House of Cards, Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones starting up again pretty soon. But right now there's a gap with nothing much on, so I'm checking out a few other things.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2016 01:20 by Grudunza.

More
31 Jan 2016 21:07 - 01 Feb 2016 09:17 #221218 by Sagrilarus
Galavant was frikkin' magnificent tonight.

S.

Late Edit -- apparently I'm the only one watching it!
Last edit: 01 Feb 2016 09:17 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Feb 2016 01:19 #221225 by johnnyspys
The expanse is amazing. Great actors, great script, dystopian future but still a strain of hope. The technology seems possible in two hundred years. Strong women characters who are tough and don't focus on being sex objects. There is a ton of things going on in the first season and you really have to pay attention to the show or you can easily get lost. Honestly, I was blown away how good the show is, because many of the syfi shows have terrible campy scripts with actors that can barely act. The Expanse is just simply amazing and feels more like a film than a television show. After watching the first episode I was hooked and stayed up all night finishing the season. Haven't watched something this good but relatively unknown in quite awhile. If you aren't into science fiction it may not be your thing but this is like Blade Runner, meets Total Recall (minus the cheese), meets film noire, mixed with a bit of the doom of deep outer space of like Outland. I would be shocked if any hardcore science fiction fan wouldn't love it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob

More
01 Feb 2016 09:10 #221234 by Columbob
The final two episodes are airing tomorrow night in Canada, so I'll finish it up this week. Tension is spiking. I might pick up the books before S2 airs.

More
01 Feb 2016 10:34 #221252 by Joebot

Mad Dog wrote: I liked the first 2 seasons of The 100 and will watch the 3rd, but its far from must see tv and nothing like BSG. If you want BSG quality watch The Expanse.

I watched the pilot epiosde of The 100. Ehhhh ... the premise is solid, but it's got just a little too much CW-style-teen-drama going on. You expect SOME of that going in, but when everyone is ridiculously attractive, and the cute girl strips down to her underwear to go swimming for no particular reason .... well, okay, maybe that's more of a PRO than a CON.

It reminded me of Lost more than anything. And hey, Desmond is in it! I'll give it another couple of episodes to see if rises above the level of soapy teen drama.

More
01 Feb 2016 12:22 #221275 by Gregarius
I really enjoyed the first few episodes of The Expanse, but then SyFy did something to their online stream and I can't watch it anymore. I have to prove that I have cable or something. That really pisses me off on a number of levels.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.546 seconds