October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
04 Apr 2016 14:58 #225209 by Sagrilarus

Columbob wrote: The Star Wars Rebels season finale took quite a heavy toll from both sides (or are there three now?) and had surprising turns of events. I wonder if they're burning too many bridges (no pun intended) - will they make it to season 4?

I'm catching up on this and am only on Season 2. In my opinion the characters and the plot in this are significantly better than the most recent film. Chopper amuses the hell out of me. A very well written show and worth the time to catch it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2016 17:51 #226017 by Mr. White
Continued on with Daredevil and I'm about 2 episodes from finishing. I was right...this show needs Vincent D'Onofrio. His acting really elevates the show. I'd say it's the best villain portrayal since Daniel Day Lewis' turn as Bill the Butcher.

The show is still far more graphic than it needs to be, but I'm enjoying it again. It'll be bittersweet when I'm done. Not sure what the status is on a season three, so I'll miss the show, but at the same time I'm about to dive into the book Altered Carbon so I'll have more time for that.

More
18 Apr 2016 08:21 #226024 by Black Barney
I think Javier Bardem in No Country is my most recent favourite. I was scared.

More
18 Apr 2016 10:11 #226037 by SuperflyPete
Watched the whole season of Netflix's F is for Family. Bill Burr is the voice actor (and probably writer) and it's fantastically funny. Definitely not for kids. Imagine Family Guy where the characters curse and there's some animated nudity.

Really funny. One scene had this kid cut school and he ends up hiding under his parents' bed. They come home early and get it on, and he tries to get out but as he looks up he sees his dad's furry balls swinging. Later at dinner the wife comments on how hungry the dad is and the dad responds "I worked up an appetite" - the kid yaks all over the table.

The whole show had us dying

More
18 Apr 2016 10:46 - 18 Apr 2016 10:46 #226046 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: I think Javier Bardem in No Country is my most recent favourite. I was scared.

No joke. He was intense.

However, he had too few lines for me. I guess I like the villains to be a bit more quotable. The Butcher and The Kingpin have lots of great lines, but their actors have really added special ticks and mannerisms that make these characters stand out. The episodes with the Kingpin in dd season two are by far the best and it's clear why. The actors doing punisher and Electra are fine, but they are simply out classed by Vincent.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2016 10:46 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Apr 2016 15:50 #226077 by SuperflyPete
That was one of the best crime flicks ever made. Right up there with Thief (Caan).

More
22 Apr 2016 14:35 - 22 Apr 2016 14:36 #226308 by Black Barney
Can we get some rules of engagement together on how we're going to handle Season 6 of Game of Thrones starting Sunday?

I plan on binge-watching the entire season in August. However, i am not going to be able to resist watching Youtube clips of the season as they are made available. I did this since the Red Viper season and it usually results in me pretty much spoiling the entire season for myself slowly.

I have some predictions on what I think might happen early but I have no idea (I've never read the books).

So anyone that is a fan have an idea of how we'll talk about it? We talking about it in this thread? Probably not? Maybe a new thread where we use spoiler tags? Or is the entire thread just going to be spoiler-legal and we'll warn people in the title?

one non-spoiler prediction: I think the Dothraki captors of Dany are going to strip her, but I don't think Clarke wants to be nekkid anymore so they'll use a body double. Problem is we know her body pretty well at this point.

Oh, if we start up a new thread, people should say which storyline interests them the most.

For me, it's Jaime. I think he's going to focus all his Mycella frustrations on those religious zealots. Without Tywin, these emotional Lannister twins are going to be doing as they like from now on, regardless of what it does to Westeros. How will Jaime be convinced not to send an army to Dorne right away?

I'm also really interested in Theon Greyjoy for the first time ever I think.

Oh, and Tyrion and those dragons should be fun.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 14:36 by Black Barney.

More
22 Apr 2016 14:56 #226310 by Grudunza
At this point, the show is completely past the books, so book spoilers shouldn't be relevant.

I think this thread should be for general thoughts like "wow, that episode was mind-blowing/stupid/shocking, etc." And a different thread for specifics about who got burned, killed, raped, etc. Or just spoiler tags in this thread.

I've always thought Theon's story was interesting and particularly tragic (though some of his predicament well-deserved, no doubt), and I am interested in where he goes from here. I think Cersei's thing about losing her three blond children will be an interesting factor now that there's only one left. So either she over-protects Tommen, or maybe tries to create a new child with Jaime, or perhaps both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Apr 2016 15:13 #226311 by Gregarius
Although I've done pretty well not to read anything about the upcoming season, I do know that House Greyjoy will be getting a lot of screen time this year. I'm very excited and curious about what they do with them, both narratively and visually. Although we've passed and diverged a lot from the books, there's still a lot of material about them from the books that hasn't been mined yet.

All three of the Lannister siblings should be fun to watch this season. I could see each of them going in so many different directions.

I'm most thankful that the dragon pulled Daenerys out of that narrative quagmire in Mereen. I get why that stuff was important, but it really dragged down the momentum of the season.

More
22 Apr 2016 15:40 #226312 by Black Barney
Yeah, I'm really wanting to see more of Theon's sister. I'm secretly hoping Brienne finds Theon and Salsa in the woods and brings them to House Greyjoy. Where those guys are no slouches when it comes to revenge.

Yeah, I had it with Mereen too. Especially when she announces that she's getting engaged just like that for political purposes. Arya's storyline was really boring last season too, I found.

I think Mereen would be interesting NOW with Tyrion running things. And things could get cute between what's-her-name and Grey Wurm.

I hate Cersei but I'm super excited to follow the Lannisters now. I think Tommen is going to be the puppet of all puppets.

More
22 Apr 2016 15:45 - 22 Apr 2016 15:47 #226313 by Gary Sax
The book handles Theon's story much better. It gets to many of the same beats without spending so much time on him. I cannot for the life of me determine what the motivation is for the sheer amount of time the show spends on Theon. Do people just really love that actor?

I'm excited about the show, fuck, I taught a class on Song of Ice and Fire last semester.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 15:47 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Apr 2016 16:25 #226314 by ChristopherMD
LOL @ "Salsa"

I'm calling her that from now on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Apr 2016 16:33 - 22 Apr 2016 16:33 #226316 by Black Barney
*waving hands frantically*

she's a-spicy!!
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 16:33 by Black Barney.

More
22 Apr 2016 16:39 #226318 by Shellhead
I loved the books, but I have been avoiding the show so far. I knew there would be changes from the books and didn't want to carry two versions of the story in my head until one was finished. And early on, I was hearing about some significant changes on the show, some of which seemed like bad ideas by the tv writers. I will eventually binge-watch the whole show, but for now I am avoiding the show and the next book, until Martin either dies or finishes the books.

More
22 Apr 2016 17:00 - 22 Apr 2016 17:01 #226322 by Joebot

Shellhead wrote: I loved the books, but I have been avoiding the show so far. I knew there would be changes from the books and didn't want to carry two versions of the story in my head until one was finished. And early on, I was hearing about some significant changes on the show, some of which seemed like bad ideas by the tv writers. I will eventually binge-watch the whole show, but for now I am avoiding the show and the next book, until Martin either dies or finishes the books.

I get this. I've managed to carry two versions of the story in my head though. It's not so bad. The changes that the TV producers have made MOSTLY make sense, in a "no Tom Bombadil in the LOTR movies" sort of way. In a few places, they managed to really tighten up the narrative. Espeically when Martin crawls up his own ass, and spends thousands of words sending his characters wandering around in the countryside (Brienne in book 4, Tyrion in book 5, etc.). Some of the flaws in the books manage to make their way over to the show, which amuses me (Dany moping around in Meereen is boring any medium).

The cast and the production values are top-notch, and the show is almost always entertaining. And how many good fantasy TV shows have there been? I could name lots of good sci-fi shows. But fantasy?? That is a damned short list.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 17:01 by Joebot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.513 seconds