October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
28 Apr 2016 09:41 #226652 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: But the show's producers said they think it'll be the best season yet, and that's not something they say every season or anything.

Probably because nobody knows exactly WHAT will happen since the series beat the books to the punch. July will mark the 5th anniversary of A Dance with Dragons' release and no Winds of Winter in sight. THANKS GEORGE!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2016 11:06 #226665 by Legomancer
Man, Elementary is botching it this season. I still like the show, but this season is not good.

More
28 Apr 2016 11:09 #226667 by Disgustipater

Legomancer wrote: Man, Elementary is botching it this season. I still like the show, but this season is not good.

I'm curious why you think so. The heavy focus on his dad?

More
28 Apr 2016 13:58 #226679 by Legomancer

Disgustipater wrote:

Legomancer wrote: Man, Elementary is botching it this season. I still like the show, but this season is not good.

I'm curious why you think so. The heavy focus on his dad?

Definitely a lot of that. His dad is not the interesting character they think he is, and I'm generally over characters with daddy issues. That goes for Joan as well.

I'm also not crazy about the reveal from the most recent episode, but I know I'm the only person who doesn't care about that character in the Holmes pantheon.

My main complaint, though, is that there's been almost zero attention paid to Sherlock's relapse. That should have been huge, and should have informed everything this season as he had to build back up his confidence in himself. Instead it was dumped by the second episode and used solely to bring Morland in. This season hardly seems to remember he's an addict at all. Basically, very little of what elevated this show above the usual murder-of-the-week procedurals is around this season, even though they had a very good hook (his relapse) to hang it on. Instead we get the same tired-ass "family is difficult" shit I got tired of long ago elsewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
01 May 2016 10:55 #226742 by Black Barney
OK I saw the premiere of Thrones and liked it. I think I got welled up eyes when Brienne takes a knee. That was great and I'm loving Theon in that scene. It's like he knows he had a part to play and hearing all that noble talk might really wake up something in him.

How many times is Dany going to play the pretending-i-dont-know-the-language card? Her character is getting a little uninteresting for me, maybe it's cuz the actress has been getting on my nerves. I need Dany to have interactions with Tyrion, I think that'll make her cool again for me

The wall, Arya... I'm not into these story lines much. The wall could get interesting.

I totally forgot that margerie is still with the zealots

More
02 May 2016 15:47 #226791 by metalface13
I finished watching Daredevil season 2 a while back. I liked it. Punisher is a great foil for Daredevil, but yeah those Punisher episodes get pretty gruesome. Not sure the show needs to continue in that direction. I'm also pretty "meh" on the actress that plays Elektra. She seems a bit too skinny for a badass ninja. Afterwards I checked out the first episode of Jessica Jones. Meh, I don't see what all the fuss is about. It felt very much like a pilot to me, so maybe I just need to check out the second episode? What's the appeal of that show?

Also finished season 2 of iZombie. It's not the best show out there, but I enjoy it. It's got a little bit of the CW cheesiness to it, but it's nowhere close to The Flash level of cheese. It's a huge departure from the comic book, too many differences to lay out here. I kind of wish they would branch out a little from zombies into other supernatural stuff like the comic did, but I don't see that happening. I'm glad they've wrapped up the Max Rager energy drink storyline, that was starting to drag on a bit.

I watched the first two episodes of the new season of Game of Thrones. I've seen a couple episodes from the season before, but I have not seen the entire series but I have read the books. That's my real interest in watching this season as it goes beyond the story told by the books so far. I know there's some differences already between the books and show already, but holy crap after Episode 2 do the showrunners feel the need to start making some progress on GRRM's plot lines. Which is fine by me.

More
02 May 2016 15:54 #226793 by Black Barney
was talking to a woman at work who knows the books in and out and she says that they're clearly moving away from the books at this point which is totally fine by her.

So weird to hear both of you express it the exact same way in the same day. She's got that excitement now for the first time since she doesn't know what's going to happen.

Scenes seem to be leaking to youtube finally so I'll get to watch some of episode 2 tonite.

More
02 May 2016 16:33 #226795 by Joebot

metalface13 wrote: I watched the first two episodes of the new season of Game of Thrones. I've seen a couple episodes from the season before, but I have not seen the entire series but I have read the books. That's my real interest in watching this season as it goes beyond the story told by the books so far. I know there's some differences already between the books and show already, but holy crap after Episode 2 do the showrunners feel the need to start making some progress on GRRM's plot lines. Which is fine by me.

Totally agreed. In fact, moving past Martin's books may end up being the best thing that ever happened to this show. In the second episode, I felt like shit HAPPENED. In past seasons, they would have spent 5 or 6 episodes with Arya blind and begging and getting the shit kicked out of her. Now, we're already past that and moving on. Same with ... you know. That big plot twist cliffhanger at the very end. The plot feels like it's starting to pick up steam, which is what should be happening at this stage.

I'm also excited about the prospect of Bran's visions and flashbacks and getting to see some of the history that we've heard bits and pieces about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 May 2016 16:46 #226796 by metalface13

Joebot wrote: I'm also excited about the prospect of Bran's visions and flashbacks and getting to see some of the history that we've heard bits and pieces about.

Next week = Tower of Joy!

Is the show always like 5 minutes of every single character? Neither episode has felt like a proper episode (of any show) so far.

More
02 May 2016 17:38 #226800 by Black Barney
yeah, the first episode was a few minutes with everybody which was brutal. Sansa/Theon was the only one I really liked. They need to focus more on some than others.

More
02 May 2016 22:39 #226810 by metalface13
Should I drop some more spoilers here, too?

More
03 May 2016 08:13 #226819 by Black Barney
Yes please. I accidentally spoiled something from the second episode for myself. Nuts

More
03 May 2016 09:30 #226825 by ChristopherMD
Thoughts on the second episode of GoT;

Warning: Spoiler!

More
03 May 2016 09:36 #226827 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
They are hurrying along all of the plot lines that were stringing out over many chapters/books. I think things will get interesting that don't look it right now.

More
03 May 2016 10:08 #226828 by Shellhead
Watched first season of Sherlock, which was a trilogy of 90-minute movies. Cumberbatch and Freeman are great. The stories are decent, but because it's BBC, there is a lot of talking in between the action scenes. Fortunately, some of the dialogue is very good, and even suspenseful. The pilot episode in particular featured an extremely high stakes conversation that was so good that the subsequent action was a bit of a disappointment.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.549 seconds