October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
03 May 2016 10:12 #226830 by SemiColon

They are hurrying along all of the plot lines that were stringing out over many chapters/books. I think things will get interesting that don't look it right now.

Yeah, my "theory" is that they are pushing the tempo a bit to start to bring more characters back together again. At least, I hope so.

Thoughts on ep2
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2016 11:09 #226832 by hotseatgames

Shellhead wrote: Watched first season of Sherlock, which was a trilogy of 90-minute movies. Cumberbatch and Freeman are great. The stories are decent, but because it's BBC, there is a lot of talking in between the action scenes. Fortunately, some of the dialogue is very good, and even suspenseful. The pilot episode in particular featured an extremely high stakes conversation that was so good that the subsequent action was a bit of a disappointment.

I find that series to be the best television I've ever seen. It's just fantastic stuff.

More
03 May 2016 12:05 - 03 May 2016 12:06 #226838 by Grudunza

hotseatgames wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Watched first season of Sherlock, which was a trilogy of 90-minute movies. Cumberbatch and Freeman are great. The stories are decent, but because it's BBC, there is a lot of talking in between the action scenes. Fortunately, some of the dialogue is very good, and even suspenseful. The pilot episode in particular featured an extremely high stakes conversation that was so good that the subsequent action was a bit of a disappointment.

I find that series to be the best television I've ever seen. It's just fantastic stuff.

Agreed. So much depth in the writing, directing and acting, and a great sense of mixing drama and mystery with some levity. And the best is yet to come for you, Shell. My favorite of all is the next episode (introducing Irene Adler), and season 3 is fantastic. The only miss for me was the Hound of the Baskervilles episode, which was okay but nothing special. Then again, I know some Sherlock fans who love that one, so YMMV.
Last edit: 03 May 2016 12:06 by Grudunza.

More
03 May 2016 12:23 #226845 by Shellhead

Grudunza wrote: Agreed. So much depth in the writing, directing and acting, and a great sense of mixing drama and mystery with some levity. And the best is yet to come for you, Shell. My favorite of all is the next episode (introducing Irene Adler), and season 3 is fantastic. The only miss for me was the Hound of the Baskervilles episode, which was okay but nothing special. Then again, I know some Sherlock fans who love that one, so YMMV.

So far, my only complaint is Moriarty. I found him more goofy than menacing. While I'm sure that's a deliberate choice by the writers, it just comes off as inferior to other incarnations of Moriarty from other shows or movies. That said, the scene where he first shows up ("Gay.") is amusing.

More
03 May 2016 13:37 - 03 May 2016 13:37 #226853 by Grudunza

Shellhead wrote:

Grudunza wrote: Agreed. So much depth in the writing, directing and acting, and a great sense of mixing drama and mystery with some levity. And the best is yet to come for you, Shell. My favorite of all is the next episode (introducing Irene Adler), and season 3 is fantastic. The only miss for me was the Hound of the Baskervilles episode, which was okay but nothing special. Then again, I know some Sherlock fans who love that one, so YMMV.

So far, my only complaint is Moriarty. I found him more goofy than menacing. While I'm sure that's a deliberate choice by the writers, it just comes off as inferior to other incarnations of Moriarty from other shows or movies. That said, the scene where he first shows up ("Gay.") is amusing.

Yeah, he's a bit hammy with it. I like the portrayal, but I can see that as a matter of taste. I think they put his quirkiness and the nature of his relationship to Sherlock to some good use in an upcoming show or two.
Last edit: 03 May 2016 13:37 by Grudunza.

More
03 May 2016 16:16 #226860 by quozl
I just started the old Battlestar Galactica series. It's really interesting what they did in 1978. Last night, I just watched the episode where they train the women to be fighter pilots because all the men were sick. Definitely empowering when it aired although nowadays most people would probably find it sexist. However, how many female fighter pilots have there been in any version of Star Wars, including the one last year? My count might be off but I believe it's zero.

More
03 May 2016 16:55 #226862 by ChristopherMD

quozl wrote: I just started the old Battlestar Galactica series. It's really interesting what they did in 1978. Last night, I just watched the episode where they train the women to be fighter pilots because all the men were sick. Definitely empowering when it aired although nowadays most people would probably find it sexist. However, how many female fighter pilots have there been in any version of Star Wars, including the one last year? My count might be off but I believe it's zero.

I remember the woman who starts out a prostitute and becomes the ship's nurse. They haven't had that in Star Wars either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 May 2016 17:52 #226868 by Black Barney

quozl wrote: I just started the old Battlestar Galactica series. It's really interesting what they did in 1978. Last night, I just watched the episode where they train the women to be fighter pilots because all the men were sick. Definitely empowering when it aired although nowadays most people would probably find it sexist. However, how many female fighter pilots have there been in any version of Star Wars, including the one last year? My count might be off but I believe it's zero.

I don't know but Jek Porkins flies like a girl
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
03 May 2016 18:17 #226869 by boothwah
This line of talk has me remembering some convos with my teenage daughters after Buck Rogers came to Netflix.

I was so excited, not having seen it since my youth - 3 episodes in my daughters were out. In summary, "Buck Rogers is kind of a skeeve."

12 year old me was really excited to see Wilma Deering in spandex again, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney

More
04 May 2016 17:00 - 04 May 2016 17:00 #226962 by Black Barney
i named my old pet rabbit Deering after her. I hated that thing.

omg, there's no way I'm making it 'till August to experience Game of Thrones season 6 unspoiled. I can't even go to Youtube anymore. Either the title gives away what will happen or the image thumbnail haunts me so much that I just HAVE to know what happened in that scene.

And never mind channel flipping randomly on a Monday night! I channel flipped to watch Innerspace at a commercial cuz I have the hots for Morgan Hoffman and they're playing a scene with the Boltons where something big happens. I was like AHHHH! What did I just see?!

nononono fock this... i'm just going to binge watch Youtube spoilers tonight over a fish dinner and then i'll enjoy the entire season start to finish in August when i can relax.
Last edit: 04 May 2016 17:00 by Black Barney.

More
18 May 2016 16:40 #227722 by boothwah
So I'm binge watching The Office - I watched the first 4 or 5 seasons as they came out, but I petered out and only checked in periodically after that - SOooooo good.

I'm amazed that even rewatching the episodes, and knowing what Michael was going to do, I still can feel sooo uncomfortable with where Michael takes things - I'd rewatched the Uk version shortly before, and I really think Carrel was ingenious on his take on Michael - Gervais character is just pure unadultered Ego - He is shamelessly and irredeemably self focused. It works in the short term nature of the Uk series, but I can tell that Carrell had his eye on the long game - Michael Scott would be insufferable and unsustainable without the big heart that Carrel rolls into the character.

I'm up to season 7 - Ed Helms has grown on me - I hated Andy at first, but he's one of my favorites now - Erin is such a rube - I love almost every interaction she is in. I'm checking out The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt just because of Ellie Kemper.

More
18 May 2016 17:00 #227728 by charlest

There's a female fighter pilot in Episode 1.

More
18 May 2016 17:09 #227729 by Black Barney
Yeah but all she does is report what's going on. I'm not convinced she's a fighter pilot. I think she's covering the battle for the Naboo Gazette or something
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
19 May 2016 21:38 #227815 by jason10mm
Loving GoT. My greatest hope is that there is at least ONE episode where ALL the cast are together and there are no cuts. Might be the final ep when it is down to two characters but still :)

Gave up on syfy's "Hunters". Filmed in a very weird way and was just too frustrating with dumb characters that have no logical motivations. Plus the aspy girl is totally annoying. It's a shame because the trailers were intriguing. Did enjoy "The Magicians", at least at the end. Man, that show goes to some DARK places. Alas it is saddled with some of the worst actors on the planet. But at this point I think "The Expanse" is the only really decent show on that channel.

Definitely stick with Jessica Jones. Around ep 4 (I think) they start really spending time with the bad guy and he is GENIUS. Just totally awesome. It helps to know that Jessica Jones is a major fuck-up and drunk, so naturally she makes a lot of bad decisions.

I was pretty meh on Gotham season 1 but I hear it really picks up in season 2. Anyone confirm?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 May 2016 21:41 #227816 by jason10mm

quozl wrote: I just started the old Battlestar Galactica series. It's really interesting what they did in 1978.

What is it like marathoning that show? IIRC about 20% of each ep was recycled space war footage, which I loved as a kid but must really drag when watching eps close together.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.998 seconds