October 09, 2023
2483 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2685 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
20 May 2016 02:33 - 20 May 2016 02:37 #227842 by Grudunza

I was pretty meh on Gotham season 1 but I hear it really picks up in season 2. Anyone confirm?

I liked Gotham's first season well enough, though it was definitely uneven. Season 2 is much better. More focused and bigger stakes, and just more confidence in what it is. And yeah, that's still somewhat cartoonish and overwrought at times, but I think it also has some good depth and edge. The cast is generally really strong, with some real standouts (esp. Penguin, Bullock, Alfred, Selina Kyle, Nygma). Season 1 had some great moments, but season 2 has had them much more consistently.
Last edit: 20 May 2016 02:37 by Grudunza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2016 08:33 #227846 by Black Barney
Trevor Noah Killed it last night covering Trans rights. He's really coming into his own on daily show. Love him

More
24 May 2016 08:11 #227992 by Legomancer

boothwah wrote: Gervais character is just pure unadultered Ego

Gervais was a lot funnier before I realized that's just how he is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
24 May 2016 09:06 #227998 by Mr. White

boothwah wrote: So I'm binge watching The Office - I watched the first 4 or 5 seasons as they came out, but I petered out and only checked in periodically after that - SOooooo good.

I'm amazed that even rewatching the episodes, and knowing what Michael was going to do, I still can feel sooo uncomfortable with where Michael takes things - I'd rewatched the Uk version shortly before, and I really think Carrel was ingenious on his take on Michael - Gervais character is just pure unadultered Ego - He is shamelessly and irredeemably self focused. It works in the short term nature of the Uk series, but I can tell that Carrell had his eye on the long game - Michael Scott would be insufferable and unsustainable without the big heart that Carrel rolls into the character.

I'm up to season 7 - Ed Helms has grown on me - I hated Andy at first, but he's one of my favorites now - Erin is such a rube - I love almost every interaction she is in. I'm checking out The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt just because of Ellie Kemper.

Easily my wife's favorite show. She hated the few odd viewings first run, but binged it late night while breastfeeding about 5 years ago. She's run through the entire season at least 4 times now. I always enjoy it too. All the characters are great and I really dig that the humor is actually clever and not standard base, hyper-sexual fare that is on so many sitcoms. Plus, every line, _every_ line Creed utters is comedy gold. This show is a case where the American version is actually better than the British original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
24 May 2016 11:42 #228017 by metalface13

Mr. White wrote: This show is a case where the American version is actually better than the British original.

Whoa ... whoa ... whoa ... those are strong words there.

More
24 May 2016 11:45 - 24 May 2016 11:48 #228019 by metalface13
I watched this week's Game of Thrones last night.

Spoiler:
Warning: Spoiler!

Double spoiler:
Last edit: 24 May 2016 11:48 by metalface13.

More
24 May 2016 12:55 #228024 by Joebot

metalface13 wrote: I watched this week's Game of Thrones last night.

More
24 May 2016 13:00 #228025 by Grudunza
Yeah, that was powerful and moving. This season is great so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 May 2016 14:04 #228031 by metalface13

Joebot wrote: [Spoiler response

More
24 May 2016 16:25 #228047 by Msample
Just watched the S2 finale of GOTHAM last night . Parts of the show are quite good - some of the casting is really good IMO. But the writers seem to be distracted easily and neglect some characters for long periods of time. Perils of an ensemble cast. The female characters in particular ( Selina Kyle, Barbara Gordon ) seem to have less screen time. Selina has always been good; Barbara Gordon was boring last year but this year, in her few appearances, they are writing her much better.

This season they have introduced even more villains in addition to Penguin, Riddler, and a few others . And the show is definitely shifting more towards an long term arc story vs more independent storylines. All that said, I find it worth watching, even if the prequel like nature means that the periodic dangerous situations Bruce Wayne is put into have no teeth, because you know they aren't gonna kill him.

More
24 May 2016 16:49 #228054 by Black Barney

Grudunza wrote: Yeah, that was powerful and moving. This season is great so far.

i watched the main door holding clip on Youtube and found it to be really emotional. I can only imagine how impactful it must have been watching the whole episode from start to finish.

More
24 May 2016 16:57 #228057 by Michael Barnes
Nobody watched Preacher?

I thought it was pretty good overall, it's not a 1:1 adaptation which is...kind of good, really. But it DEFINITELY has a Garth Ennis tone to it, for better or worse. Some of the violence/gore was pretty shocking, but the books were like that too so if you can't hang with some fairly juvenile over-the-top splatter...maybe don't bother.

The cast feels right so far, just one episode in. Dominic Cooper I was leery of, but by the end of it I bought him as Jesse. Tulip and Cassidy were good.

Really interested to see what they do with it, if they really get into all the jive with the Grail, Masada, Star, "the Meat Man" and all of that...I can't imagine that they'd leave the Saint of Killers out. I'll stick with it.

More
24 May 2016 18:10 #228064 by boothwah

metalface13 wrote:

Mr. White wrote: This show is a case where the American version is actually better than the British original.

Whoa ... whoa ... whoa ... those are strong words there.

I would agree. Don't get me wrong - UK Office was a fun romp, once through - but I really have no desire to revisit those characters again - Once was new and shocking, but it doesn't hold up for me, second go through. If the US office were only the first 6...then maybe I go the other way. I think a lot of the appeal of the US version was how many of the ensemble characters they were able to bring to the front and develop because of the longevity - I mean yay for the Jim/Pam/Michael/Dwight stuff - but the rise and fall of Ryan, all of Creed's stuff, Meredith, Robert California, Erin, Andy, Stanley, Gabe and OMG KEVIN, etc .

I wish Kevin had gotten a spin off show.

More
24 May 2016 18:20 #228068 by Black Barney
Iron Chef

More
24 May 2016 18:46 #228071 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I watched Preacher. It was alright. Was cool to see the Misfits alumni in pretty big roles too.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds