October 09, 2023
2297 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2513 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
29 Jun 2016 08:12 #229482 by Black Barney

Grudunza wrote: Best season of Game of Thrones. Season finale had many great moments, all earned and powerful.

Agreed. I got emotional when Dany gives Tyrion the pin. Lady Mormonts speech was terrific too

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2016 19:33 #232073 by ChristopherMD
Watched the first episode of Stranger Things. Reminded me a lot of J J Abrams Super 8. Which is to say it emulates 80's Spielberg. I'm okay with that as long as the quality is copied too. In this case so far I believe it is. The opening with the kids playing D&D was a great start. I remember when I used to get that excited about games. Nowadays we'd just re-roll that die.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
15 Aug 2016 19:57 #232074 by Black Barney
I hear that Larry Wilmore got cancelled. Is that true? I watch him four nights a week, I like him but that panel discussion segment is always awful. He's also the worst of the bunch that are all doing something similar (Trevor Noah, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee).

More
15 Aug 2016 21:51 - 31 Aug 2023 16:47 #232083 by Shellhead
My girlfriend is moving in this month, so several times a week, she brings over a load of stuff. Last week included part of her dvd collection, which includes season 4 of Alias. That was a show that was on the air during a time when I was barely watching any television, so I had previously seen maybe 10 minutes of one episode. I figured that Alias was probably at least an okay show because it lasted several seasons, and I needed a distraction while ironing two weeks worth of shirts for work. Since then, I have gone on to watch over half the season so far.

I'm not a fan of Alias. It seems clear that the show was aimed more at female fans, for several reasons. First, the show takes place in an alternate reality where tradecraft is more of a hereditary knack than a skill set, judging by the way half of the team members are family. Second, the CIA is apparently a very flexible workplace where it is completely cool and not at all unprofessional to work on high stakes espionage while sleeping with one of your co-workers. Third, the opening credits seem to sell the show as a pretext for Jennifer Garner to wear a wide variety of outfits and footwear while looking reasonably fabulous. Fourth, every other episode features a foreign nightclub and an occasion for Garner to show off a bad accent. As a bit of a nod to the possible guys in the audience, every episode does feature at least a couple violent scenes, though usually gunfire or fistfights, and hardly any explosions or car crashes.

Even so, I liked the episode that I just watched. They featured the weird tech guy (picture an unfunny imitation of Patton Oswalt) and put him through some nice fish out of water situations. Moderately funny and engaging, and even edgy at times. Even so, I don't recommend Alias unless you are bored or a really big fan of Jennifer Garner.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2023 16:47 by Shellhead. Reason: Alias not Alibi

More
15 Aug 2016 22:05 #232084 by metalface13
The Great British Baking Show. So enjoyable. So many classic British desserts I know nothing about. Everybody on their seems like genuinely nice human beings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
16 Aug 2016 07:27 #232092 by Mr. White
After going through Detectorists a second time, we sprung for the Christmas Special.

I totally agree with Mackenzie not doing a 3rd series. The end of season two of Detectorists saw both main plot threads realized. However, much like a romantic sitcom has to bust up a couple after they get together to recreate tension and interest, here a wrench sorta pried one of the main plots apart in order for there to be some drama.

It was an ok episode, but I found it weaker than the two seasons proper and sort of wish I hadn't seen it.

Still the best TV show I've seen in a long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
16 Aug 2016 07:32 #232093 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I felt the chrimbo special wrapped everything up pretty nicely, and was a nice way to end it all.

More
16 Aug 2016 08:14 #232098 by hotseatgames
I've really been enjoying HBO's The Night Of. It's a murder mystery involving a Muslim kid who finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, and hijinx ensue.

Like Netflix's Bloodline, it's a bit of a slow burn, but the acting is great and they really keep you guessing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
16 Aug 2016 08:32 #232099 by charlest
Started The Night Of last night and it's definitely good. Reminds me of Serial and Making a Murderer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
16 Aug 2016 09:12 #232103 by Black Barney
watching Season Six of A Game of Thrones all the way through since I haven't really seen it yet. The Hold the Door episode is insanely powerful. I wept like a baby :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, JMcL63, Gregarius

More
25 Aug 2016 22:30 #232830 by metalface13
I finally got around to watching the season finale of Preacher last week. Overall I liked the show immensely more than I did the first volume of the graphic novels (which I never read any further). I like that it made Jesse more grounded and actually trying to be a preacher, but by the end of the finale the whole season rather felt like one big pilot for the actual point of the series,

More
26 Aug 2016 08:22 #232835 by san il defanso
I enjoyed the third season of Bojack Horseman so much that I was inspired to rewatch the first two seasons just so I'd have more to watch. What a funny, sad, heavy series.

My wife and I have started in on Brooklyn Nine-Nine as well, and it's hilarious. Not many comedies arrived mostly fully-formed with solid characters so quickly, aside from genuinely classic stuff like Arrested Development. But Brooklyn Nine-Nine has been really enjoyable so far.

I keep trying to get into new dramas, and I so rarely actually want to deal with them. I'm not sure exactly why.

More
26 Aug 2016 08:27 #232836 by Mr. White
My wife is a huge fan of Brooklyn Nine-Nine as well. As she awaits the new season, she's gotten into Veep. Interesting show. I'm sure a lot exaggeration is in play, but if real life is even a fraction of what's depicted here it seems like working in politics would be an absolute nightmare.

More
26 Aug 2016 08:30 #232838 by Gary Sax
Watching Bosch season 1. Very LA. It's definitely good solid noir. Sometimes the characterization and writing are clunky but it's not like top quality noir is constantly banging around on TV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
28 Aug 2016 12:41 #232933 by Hadik

hotseatgames wrote: I've really been enjoying HBO's The Night Of
Like Netflix's Bloodline, it's a bit of a slow burn, but the acting is great and they really keep you guessing.

You're not kidding about the slow burn. After my initial excitement about the series I actually forgot I was watching it... So slow. And I got a little tired of Turtorro's schlubby Monk/Columbo/schleprock routine. But holy crap I got caught up last nite and episodes six and seven were awesome.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.007 seconds