October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
22 Oct 2016 18:26 #236709 by Msample
McShane is on Game of Thrones, but only as a key character in one episode.

He caused a stir when he offhandedly characterized the show as merely "tits and dragons" in an interview.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2016 18:44 #236712 by ChristopherMD
Its really more like Advanced Tits & Dragons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jeb, bfkiller, Colorcrayons

More
22 Oct 2016 18:46 #236713 by Black Barney
That's not terribly off

More
24 Oct 2016 08:31 - 24 Oct 2016 09:10 #236744 by Mr. White
Finished Luke Cage.

Ugh.

Much like I've tapped out on the MCU films, I think this is the Marvel Netflix series that has done me in.

I loved the Luke Cage character, all of the actors, heck the supporting characters were all fantastic. Even if I'm a bit tired of the Night Nurse's 'I've never see anything like this..." and wasn't super thrilled with Diamondback's final get-up....clearly Netflix hasn't embraced their comicbook roots like the MCU flicks have...that outfit was embarrassing, I still really liked the characters as a whole.

It's the Netflix formula I'm about done with. With each show it becomes more and more apparent they need to shave off 3-4 episodes....partricularly since these are each an hour long. In a series designed for binge watching, do we really need an episode where Cage just walks around on the lam while Misty Knight is in an interrogation recapping the first half of the series? No...we do not.

Anyway, what was really disappointing with this series was that after 13 hours...
Warning: Spoiler!

Unless Iron Fist is blowing off the doors, I'll probably pass. I might check out the Defenders just to see some of these characters interact because that could be a little bit interesting. Not sure what Iron Fist brings to the team though...DD brings the karate and Cage packs the punch. Seems Marvel would have been better served going with a supernatural character for this 4th spot. Ghost Rider, Morbius, or pull Dr. Strange from the big screen...he seems like a better candidate for the Netflix formula.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 09:10 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys

More
24 Oct 2016 11:44 #236782 by Joebot

Mr. White wrote: It's the Netflix formula I'm about done with. With each show it becomes more and more apparent they need to shave off 3-4 episodes....partricularly since these are each an hour long. In a series designed for binge watching, do we really need an episode where Cage just walks around on the lam while Misty Knight is in an interrogation recapping the first half of the series? No...we do not.

I agree with this. I'd love to see the Netflix MCU shows increase to 3 shows a year, with each show about 8-10 episodes. . I think that would be perfect. They clearly haven't figured out how to stretch the story out over 13 episodes. I suppose one way to do that would be to introduce smaller, standalone stories. They could totally do that with Murdock's legal firm, or Jessica's private investigator business. That could be cool, if done well. But they really seem invested in the binge-ready, one-big-story format.

I got back into Star Wars: Rebels, and I've been watching the second season. That show makes a big jump in quality in the second season. They're finally off that boring planet Lothal ("Space-Iowa" as I like to call it), and off having adventures and going on missions. The art design is much more varied and interesting, and the stories have gotten a lot better.

More
24 Oct 2016 12:30 #236786 by charlest
Anyone catch SNL this past weekend? I'm still laughing about that Tom Hanks David Pumpkins sketch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
24 Oct 2016 13:14 - 24 Oct 2016 13:18 #236795 by Colorcrayons
I think iron fist will be good, if they immerse into the mystical side of Danny's story well enough. Its a huge story, and besides daredevil, should be the more robust of the proposed defenders line up.

Luke cage was alright, but it was just a clear nod to blacksploitation. From the music, to some of the cheesy lines and cinematography. I kept expecting some wah wah peddle guitar prefacing Mr. Isaacs coming out and calling someone 'suckuh' before a momentary blurb of a chorus saying "shaft"!
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 13:18 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
24 Oct 2016 13:49 #236799 by ChristopherMD
Finally got around to checking out Black Mirror. Watched the first 2 seasons and will be watching the 3rd soon. Great show.

More
24 Oct 2016 14:31 - 24 Oct 2016 14:32 #236812 by Black Barney

charlest wrote: Anyone catch SNL this past weekend? I'm still laughing about that Tom Hanks David Pumpkins sketch.

I LOVE you. We were talking about SNL at work this morning and all the girls could talk about was Black Jeopardy and the opening debate sketch, and one of them couldn't say enough good things about the Sully sketch (?!)

I'm of the mind that the 100 floors of terror sketch (David S. Pumpkins) is by far the best and its 100% because Hanks totally commits to the role. It's the opposite of phoning in a performance, he's so insanely over the top that I can’t stop laughing. Especially the very end, which is the most perfect comedic timing end to an SNL sketch we've seen in years

No one is talking about this sketch and it bothers me
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 14:32 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
24 Oct 2016 14:33 #236813 by Mr. White
links to these sketches?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Oct 2016 14:35 - 24 Oct 2016 14:41 #236814 by Black Barney

Mr. White wrote: links to these sketches?

you're right, that was dumb of me.

Here it is before it gets taken down. Watch this quickly and enjoy it :)

It's going to be different for you guys cuz Charlest and I have hyped it up a bit. Try to imagine watching this when you're expecting NOTHING

i recommend watching this on Youtube where you can make it landscape or half-your-screen, you gotta see Hanks' facial expressions and stupid hand movements.

i love it when the writers just go BALLS OUT and take risks by writing stuff like this. it's either going to be great or horrific.

Anyone that writes "meh" here HAS NO SOUL
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 14:41 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
24 Oct 2016 14:45 #236816 by Black Barney
Charlest,

if you liked this, watch this other one which is so obviously the exact same writers that came up with David S. Pumpkins.

Here's the rehearsal footage of Larry David trying to get through the sketch but it's just too stupidly funny that he can't do it. I love this (totally the same type of humour)

More
24 Oct 2016 15:00 #236819 by Gregarius
I love when Tom Hanks appears on SNL. He always commits 100%. I imagine that he misses doing comedy, since all he ever gets are dramatic, serious roles anymore. But I still remember him from the days of Bachelor Party and Bosom Buddies.

David S. Pumpkins was perfect goofy fun. Black Jeopardy was good, but I loved the meta aspect of it. Knowing how the sketch usually goes made the anticipation of Doug's answers better, and then the subversion was sublime. The Debate sketch was good but obvious. It's telling that they were able to just quote from the debate directly without parody. Sully was my least favorite, but not because it wasn't good (it was okay), but was that really the best they could do with Tom Hanks and Alec Baldwin!? What a wasted opportunity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
24 Oct 2016 16:16 #236834 by charlest

Black Barney wrote: Charlest,

if you liked this, watch this other one which is so obviously the exact same writers that came up with David S. Pumpkins.

Here's the rehearsal footage of Larry David trying to get through the sketch but it's just too stupidly funny that he can't do it. I love this (totally the same type of humour)

I'll check it out when I get home from work.

Hitting the 100 floors of terror totally unexpectedly is a big part of it. I switched over during the intermission of the Blues/Flames game and caught it at perfect timing. I was half asleep and I was like "WTF is going on, this is brilliant."

I've already done the "I'm David Pumpkins! Any questions?" a couple times to my wife (she didn't watch it).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Oct 2016 22:14 #236854 by dysjunct
I am unintentionally watching "The Ranch," a Netflix sitcom that is really terrible and unfunny. (The wife is watching it and she is having a rough week at work so I am taking one for the team.)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.227 seconds