October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
24 Oct 2016 23:11 #236860 by hotseatgames
I watched the first 2 eps of season 3 of Black Mirror. Totally awesome, and the second episode is quite frightening.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2016 01:58 #236862 by Grudunza

hotseatgames wrote: I watched the first 2 eps of season 3 of Black Mirror. Totally awesome, and the second episode is quite frightening.

I finished the sixth one tonight. Solid season, for sure. My favorites were the 3rd and 4th. I really liked the experience of the second one, but it was probably my least favorite of the six only because it was a bit predictable. And I don't usually guess things like that, especially with Black Mirror, but I called that one about halfway through. Still cool, though, and yes, frightening.

More
25 Oct 2016 10:51 #236872 by Rafael Silva
Season 3 of Black Mirror didn't work for me at all. I really enjoyed the first two seasons but the shift from dystopian/social horror to personal horror killed it for me.

More
25 Oct 2016 11:57 #236880 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
WESTWORLD is good television. I was a little let down by Episode 2, and thought it could go sideways, but it's righted and I've been totally digging it.

FLEABAG (Netflix?) is great! That lead is amazing. This is one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time and a lot of the humor is driven by Ferris Bueller fourth-wall breaks. Must be tough as hell to film.

More
25 Oct 2016 14:17 - 25 Oct 2016 14:27 #236900 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote:

charlest wrote: Anyone catch SNL this past weekend? I'm still laughing about that Tom Hanks David Pumpkins sketch.

I LOVE you. We were talking about SNL at work this morning and all the girls could talk about was Black Jeopardy and the opening debate sketch, and one of them couldn't say enough good things about the Sully sketch (?!)

I'm of the mind that the 100 floors of terror sketch (David S. Pumpkins) is by far the best and its 100% because Hanks totally commits to the role. It's the opposite of phoning in a performance, he's so insanely over the top that I can’t stop laughing. Especially the very end, which is the most perfect comedic timing end to an SNL sketch we've seen in years

No one is talking about this sketch and it bothers me

I actually enjoyed Black Jeopardy more. Pumpkins seems to go along with the randomness that passes for humor these days (Uncle Grandpa cartoons and such that my kids watch, or that damn Apple-Pen song). It was funny, but Black Jeopardy was actually clever. It showed that when it comes down to it those disenfranchised aren't so different after all...yet their false ideologies are worlds apart as highlighted at the end. Does Doug really think he has more in common with Trump and other politicians?

Very well done.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2016 14:27 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Varys

More
25 Oct 2016 14:27 #236904 by Black Barney
yeah, it's two completely different styles of comedic writing, which is what SNL can be so good sometimes, for the variety of it.

Black Jeopardy is really smart satire (like you see on Daily Show, Full Frontal and sometimes Colbert).

but the David S. Pumpkins thing is just total BALLS OUT comedic writing. it's either funny or it's a total disaster. i like those kinds of risks. After Kevin Roberts (Larry David) sketch, we're now seeing this is going to hopefully be a regular thing. The next time some random dude shows up in orange, i'm already going to be laughing.

More
25 Oct 2016 15:12 #236907 by Grudunza

Rafael Silva wrote: Season 3 of Black Mirror didn't work for me at all. I really enjoyed the first two seasons but the shift from dystopian/social horror to personal horror killed it for me.

Not sure how you see such a difference. Season 3 had some dystopian/social horror, and some previous season episodes had personal horror. I found all of the subjects in season 3 to be in a similar vein as earlier ones, and in some cases better realized.

That being said, my least favorite of season 3 is Playtest, which is the most personal horror one of the group.

More
25 Oct 2016 15:32 #236908 by jpat
Been watching Dark Matter on Netflix. I watched the first two pilot-y episodes and then stopped but have been speeding through the rest and am now into season 2. It's ... OK? "Dark" only in a very Canadian, relentlessly nice way? I can't make any grand case for it. It's competent ship-based SF where the characterization is thin but relatively well implemented, the plots are serviceable, the CGI is relatively minimal and not overly distractingly basic-cableish, the score is pretty atrocious and repetitive, the season 1 titles are MacPaint (slightly better in s2), and the creative people generally strike a tenuous balance between the familiar and the all-too-familiar. Imagine a less-funny/-warm Firefly with fairly clear character and situational analogues or, reaching back a bit further, a less-well-acted Blake's 7 with better budgets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
25 Oct 2016 15:54 #236909 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Companion show Killjoys does everything better.

More
25 Oct 2016 16:41 #236913 by ChristopherMD

JEM wrote: Companion show Killjoys does everything better.

I couldn't get past 2 episodes of Killjoys. Dark Matter is better in every way. Canadian Scifi TV Dome?

More
26 Oct 2016 07:24 #236942 by JEM
Hehe, probably would be a niche topic.

You're wrong though.

More
26 Oct 2016 07:47 - 26 Oct 2016 07:47 #236943 by hotseatgames
I consumed all of season 3 of Black Mirror in 2 days. Top notch stuff, can't recommend it enough. If you like sci-fi, I don't think you'll find anything better on television, and that includes Westworld.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2016 07:47 by hotseatgames.

More
26 Oct 2016 07:57 #236946 by Thrun
I like sci fi, and based on the first episode, Think Westworld is crap. Black Mirror was generally awesome (not all episodes created equal). I'm very much looking forward to this new season.

More
26 Oct 2016 08:15 #236950 by Mr. White
I have never heard of Black Mirror until yesterday. I quick glimpse on what it's about and I see the first episode features pig-humping...

How graphic is it? I don't need shocks for shocks sake, so are the tales any good?

More
26 Oct 2016 08:25 #236952 by JEM
It's more psychological horror with the formula being: Take some currently popular technology/societal movement and apply reductio to it until it's terrifying.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.259 seconds