October 09, 2023
2480 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
03 Nov 2016 21:24 #237426 by hotseatgames
After seeing the first 2 episodes of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, it's pretty interesting. Elijah Wood is excellent, like always.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2016 21:53 #237427 by SemiColon
I've been watching a ton of Baseball - sad to see it end, but you couldn't have asked for a better season finale than last night's holy smokes. Talk about twists and drama - no way any of that stuff would have happened in real life. I refuse to believe it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
04 Nov 2016 00:08 #237429 by Cranberries

SemiColon wrote: I've been watching a ton of Baseball - sad to see it end, but you couldn't have asked for a better season finale than last night's holy smokes. Talk about twists and drama - no way any of that stuff would have happened in real life. I refuse to believe it.

Game 7 was the only baseball game I watched all year, and even though I had to leave for 90 minutes in the middle, it was pretty amazing. Also I saw it on our pretty new 4k flat screen, the first time I have watched sports on it. The last world series I remember was during that San Francisco earthquake in the late eighties.

And I tweeted the entire thing:

More
04 Nov 2016 00:19 - 04 Nov 2016 00:20 #237430 by Frohike
Welp, the third season of The Fall is finally up on Netflix.

I'm not sure what to make of the first episode. It was entirely medical drama and felt like something out of ER, with almost zero development in any of the plotlines or characters. A notable exception: some near-death visions from the serial killer and a continuation of the proposition from previous seasons that sociopaths aren't devoid of emotional attachment or need. Overall, though, the episode was soporific. I'm guessing the pace picks up pretty quickly in the next few eps.

Has anyone checked out the new Black Mirror episodes yet? Worth watching?
Last edit: 04 Nov 2016 00:20 by Frohike.

More
04 Nov 2016 02:25 #237431 by Grudunza

Frohike wrote: Has anyone checked out the new Black Mirror episodes yet? Worth watching?

Absolutely. Especially if you already like the series. I think the new ones are all on par with the previous lot, and better than the season 2 shows (except for "White Christmas"). "San Junipero" is amazing in many ways, and "Nosedive" and "Shut Up and Dance" are also favorites of mine. The others are good, if not great. The sixth episode is an extended 90 minute episode, but I think it suffers for that. It would have been a very good 60 minute show, but doesn't hold the 90 minutes well. Eh, YMMV. But yes, rejoice in there being more Black Mirror!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
04 Nov 2016 05:52 #237433 by Nodens
I started watching 'The Genius' after it was recommended by Shut Up and Sit Down's Quinns. It's fantastic. If you ever had fun with a social game you might like this. Better than writing something myself, just read his comments . If that sounds even remotely interesting, give it a try.

More
04 Nov 2016 08:53 #237439 by Mr. White
That was an amazing Game 7. Probably the best baseball I've seen. I wasn't a fan of the rain delay though. Felt like it' iced the game's momentum.

I'm actually looking forward to this NBA season even more so than in the past. Lot's of great storylines: Can the Spurs contend in the post-Duncan era? The Durant-Westbrook rivalry. The NBA v the Warriors. Can Houston actually do something around James Harden? How low will Cuban let the Mavericks slide? I just wish there were some more drama in the East. Looks like another LeBron finals appearance on that side...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Nov 2016 16:26 #237464 by metalface13

hotseatgames wrote: After seeing the first 2 episodes of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, it's pretty interesting. Elijah Wood is excellent, like always.

I watched the first episode and liked it. I never read the books but I can see a lot of Douglas Adams in the show. I look forward to watching more.

Finished catching up on Orphan Black a few weeks ago. It's not a flawless show by any means but I do like quite a bit. The main actress does a great job on all the characters, 90% of the time I forget it's the same actress. Again, sometimes the plot lines are a bit hokey, but if you like some light science fiction and want to see one woman portray like 6+ characters I recommend it.

More
05 Nov 2016 14:16 #237496 by SemiColon

Mr. White wrote: That was an amazing Game 7. Probably the best baseball I've seen. I wasn't a fan of the rain delay though. Felt like it' iced the game's momentum.

I think the rain delay definitely helped the Cubs regroup as well. It was a good thing they were able to finish it when they did though, since it started pouring not too long after and continued all night.

Last year I only made it to one playoff game (I can walk to the SkyDome although it takes about 35 minutes), but this year I decided I needed to go to more because you never know when an opportunity may be the last chance to see your team in the playoffs. So I went to 4 of the 5 Blue Jays home games this year, and the wild card and Game 3 ALDS were fantastic experiences.

More
07 Nov 2016 16:51 #237661 by Black Barney
Is there any other big fans of THE WEST WING here? I'm asking cuz I'm trying to remember a specific moment and it's driving me crazy trying to dig it up.

I remember at one point Charlie keeps something from the President cuz he doesn't want to reveal something about his past (that he worked with some huge racist). This racist guy enters the White House and starts giving Charlie a hard time, the President keeps asking Charlie about it who won't say anything and I THINK at one point Charlie is at risk of losing his job (or quitting). Finally, President Bartlet figures it out and humiliates the racist guy in front of Charlie and is all proud of himself for figuring it out. Thus freeing Charlie from having to tell the President himself that this other guy had this awful past.

It might be the thing about Ambassador Cochran in Season One but i rewatched that today and it just didn't feel epic enough of a moment. I thought I remembered a similar situation but with far more gravitas.

anyway, if any fan knows this show well and this rings a bell, help out a troubled Black Barney who is racking (wracking?) his brain trying to remember
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 Nov 2016 08:28 #237700 by charlest
Almost finished season 2 of Marco Polo which is solid.

I'm enjoying the miserableness of the Walking Dead current season thus far (seriously). I'd love to see an animated gif with Negan asking "What's your name" and it cut to Tom Hanks and the Skeletons "David S. Pumpkins".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Nov 2016 01:07 - 28 Nov 2016 01:32 #239222 by Cranberries

Black Barney wrote: Is there any other big fans of THE WEST WING here? I'm asking cuz I'm trying to remember a specific moment and it's driving me crazy trying to dig it up.

I remember at one point Charlie keeps something from the President cuz he doesn't want to reveal something about his past (that he worked with some huge racist). This racist guy enters the White House and starts giving Charlie a hard time, the President keeps asking Charlie about it who won't say anything and I THINK at one point Charlie is at risk of losing his job (or quitting). Finally, President Bartlet figures it out and humiliates the racist guy in front of Charlie and is all proud of himself for figuring it out. Thus freeing Charlie from having to tell the President himself that this other guy had this awful past.

It might be the thing about Ambassador Cochran in Season One but i rewatched that today and it just didn't feel epic enough of a moment. I thought I remembered a similar situation but with far more gravitas.

anyway, if any fan knows this show well and this rings a bell, help out a troubled Black Barney who is racking (wracking?) his brain trying to remember

I'm voting for the Cochran thing. The other Charlie/race thing is that the shooter was trying to kill Charlie, not the president, and Charlie felt really guilty about that.
www.reddit.com/r/thewestwing/comments/1s...lie_and_ken_cochran/

Even though the show is sometimes terrible, The Last Man on Earth has some great moments. Todd and Melissa doing Shawshank Redemption role playing. I'm on the third season.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 01:32 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Nov 2016 03:55 #239225 by Feelitmon
I just watched my first episode of Black Mirror tonight, and I loathed almost everything about it. It's the episode about the kidnapped princess and an unconventional ransom demand.

The premise is plausible, at least until we learn the identity of the perpetrator(s). But the moral confusion and shortsightedness of the British authorities as depicted in the episode is extreme, and subsequent events become just plain old unbelievable. Late in the episode the show goes into one of those slow-mo, mopey musical montage sequences where we're supposed to recognize just how incredibly profound the story's events are. But the production made me feel nothing for any of the characters. And as for lessons? The only thing we actually learned is that many people will indulge their prurient interests and come to regret it later. Whoa man, that's deep. It was cool to see Frankenstein's Monster as the Prime Minister though! I'm going to give it another episode to see if they'll put some science fiction and/or thought into this thinking man's science fiction show that I've heard so much about.

Meanwhile, watching old Star Trek TOS episodes in high definition continues to be a hoot. Growing up I watched them all out of order, so watching them in the right sequence is making me appreciate just how many recurring minor characters there actually are. And there are little details here and there that I missed the first umpteen times I watched these episodes. Like, Sulu's a botanist, for crying out loud! Who knew? That has come up in two episodes so far in the first season. And reading the computer log entries for various planets and personalities thanks to the high-definition is neat too.

More
28 Nov 2016 11:26 - 28 Nov 2016 11:26 #239255 by Jexik
Checked out Avatar: the Last Airbender Book 1 (Water) from the library. I had binged on it it on my own on Amazon Prime or Netflix a few years ago, but I'm happily watching it again with some new people. It's such a great show! I like Korra too, but this series is just so much fun.

I remember that Colby really liked it too, and I wouldn't be surprised if the water tribe helped (sub)consciously influence the Tundra Orcs in Summoner Wars.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2016 11:26 by Jexik.

More
28 Nov 2016 11:48 #239259 by Shellhead
Binge-watched seasons 5 and 6 of Sons of Anarchy. Still enjoying the show, despite the ridiculous plot twists. I think that the scripts are solid, and the key actors are talented enough to sell the most outrageous scenes of the show. The regular callbacks to previous storylines really helps to give this show a strong sense of continuity that also helps maintain some degree of credibility to the stories. Given the premise of the show (Biker Gang Hamlet), I was very surprised by one casualty in season six, though in all fairness, the show certainly was building towards that development. Somehow I was kidding myself for a long time that at least some of the Sons were more like anti-heroes than villains, but by mid-season six, that illusion was dispelled. Too much blood on everybody's hands, and many of those deaths were pure murder and not self-defense.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds