October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
07 Feb 2017 19:22 #243637 by dysjunct
Supposedly Rosie O'Donnell is going to play Steve Bannon, which will no doubt go over great with dear leader.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2017 20:07 #243641 by Disgustipater

Gregarius wrote: I agree about Baldwin's Trump. I think part of the problem stems from the fact that the reality is so absurd. It makes it harder to parody.

The creators of South Park said something similar as to why they decided to back off on the political satire.

“They’re already going out and doing the comedy,” Parker adds. “It’s not something you can make fun of. It’s tricky and it’s really tricky now as satire has become reality. We were really trying to make fun of what was going on [last season] but we couldn’t keep up. What was actually happening was way funnier than anything we could come up with. So we decided to just back off and let [politicians] do their comedy and we’ll do ours.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
07 Feb 2017 20:56 #243642 by jason10mm

boothwah wrote: Watching : Series of Unfortunate Events - Good stuff. The original author is putting together the screenplays, so it has the right voice. The changes that are made to bring it to the silver screen are minor, welcome, and infrequent. Neil Patrick Harris kills it as Count Olaf.

I'm hoping it does well. I would love to see some more high-end, non network shows that don't rely on their adding cursing and nudity to make their take on tv tropes "edgy" or "groundbreaking." I'm really sick of Cops and Robbers and F$%^ing, or Dungeons and Dragons and F%^&ing, or Spies and Secrets and F%^&ing.

The hell you say! If it weren't for starz, showtime, Netflix, and HBO there would be almost no nudity anywhere. I say bring it on!

More
08 Feb 2017 11:18 #243666 by charlest
Taboo is..I don't know. It's very slow and boring, but it has this dark tension just beneath the surface and feels a bit surreal. The moments when they hint at supernatural or fantastical elements are interesting. If Tom Hardy wasn't in this though, I'd probably not still be watching it.

I'm also enjoying the new season of Homeland, although I really wish they'd go back to the Middle East for an entire season.

More
08 Feb 2017 12:40 #243669 by Grudunza
I had the same thoughts about Taboo. Watched the first one last night, and it had *just* enough of something interesting to keep me watching at least one more, but without Tom Hardy it would probably be more of a "meh." I can see where it might get great, though, so I'm giving it a chance, at least.

More
08 Feb 2017 13:04 #243670 by charlest
After the first four, I don't think it's great yet. Still will probably finish out the first season at least. Hardy is great in the role though.

More
08 Feb 2017 15:18 #243675 by Feelitmon
I know almost nothing about Taboo. How would it compare with Penny Dreadful? I found the latter to be much better than it looked like it would be based on its advertising. It's kind of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Year One in a way.

More
08 Feb 2017 15:54 #243676 by charlest
There's no overt supernatural elements in Taboo. It's really just a dark period drama. The supernatural bits are merely hinted at with some dark imagery/visions and Hardy's character claiming to have communed across the ocean with his batshit crazy father before he died.

More
08 Feb 2017 16:01 #243677 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Tom Hardy broods and stomps around Regency London like Bane in a top hat.

This is no bad thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
10 Feb 2017 09:46 #243747 by Columbob

Vlad wrote: Granted, I only saw the first 3 episodes, but no, GoT in space it was not. I don't see any parallels except for some (boring) talk of politics. It was more like BSG (in space!), but with no space battles, likable characters or any urgency to the plot. Yeah, kind of like 3rd season of BSG.
But, it had some pretty cool gravity/space scenes based on actual physics.

Episode 4 has some great low grav scenes.

It's not at all GoT in space, but it's nevertheless pretty good, if a slow burn. Final episode ties up the mystery we'd (or more accurately the characters) been piecing together up 'til then, and goes out with a bang.

I'd been thinking about it all year, which I took for a good sign, almost bought the BR to rewatch, but Space in Canada had a rerun of the whole series a couple of weekends ago so I did rewatch the whole thing before starting on season 2, and appreciated it even more. I'll be reading the first trilogy soon too.

More
10 Feb 2017 10:09 #243749 by charlest
Expanse books are much better than the show IMO. Show is fine but not special.

I really dig the blend of some politics with conspiracy, noir, and horror. It's like everything I love about sci-fi coming together and it doesn't feel messy or bloated. The characters are actually very likeable in the novels. The whole crew is great. Miller is fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
10 Feb 2017 11:04 - 10 Feb 2017 11:04 #243751 by RobertB
I didn't realize that The Expanse season 2 was on until last night. My DirecTV box recorded it for me nonetheless, and I caught up with it. Episode 1 was kind of slow, but 2 and 3 got going again.

I like the show's cast, except for the casting for Holden and Amos. I don't hate them, but I pictured Holden as a square-jawed Space Captain type, and Amos a little older and rougher around the edges. The rest of the cast is top-notch.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2017 11:04 by RobertB.

More
10 Feb 2017 11:33 - 10 Feb 2017 11:36 #243753 by charlest
Yes, 100%. Naomi's casting is perfect, Alex is fine, and Miller is solid. Fred Johnson is a little different than I pictured but fine as well. Avarsarala is great.

Bobby Draper I'm not convinced on and Holden I'm not a fan of. Amos doesn't look anything like I pictured him. I expected a hulking brute that looked much more rough.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2017 11:36 by charlest.

More
11 Feb 2017 12:02 - 11 Feb 2017 12:03 #243788 by engineer Al
Just finished the first season of The Expanse last night. Really loved it. I would say this show is as close to "hard" Sci-Fi as any television has ever been. But am I the only one who sees a striking similarity between the Miller character and this guy:

Last edit: 11 Feb 2017 12:03 by engineer Al.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
11 Feb 2017 18:28 #243792 by Black Barney
Alec Baldwin hosting SNL tonight. I'm basically watching only to see if Rosie shows up as Bannon since that'll be a story after

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.044 seconds