October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
24 Feb 2017 19:16 #244515 by dave

RobertB wrote: My daughter wouldn't stop telling me and her mom to watch Black Mirror, specifically 'Playtest'. So my wife and I watched it last night. It was okay, not great. Really good setup, a little bit of a letdown in the payoff. So afterwards, I told the wife, "If you want really messed-up stuff on Black Mirror, watch this," and we watched "White Bear". Feel-good TV it aint.

Ha, those are the two episodes nearly ruined by super-annoying "protagonists".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2017 10:52 #244525 by RobertB
@dave - "Playtest" for sure. That was Ugly American cranked up to 11.

"White Bear" spoilers:
Warning: Spoiler!

More
26 Feb 2017 00:57 #244533 by dave

More
01 Mar 2017 08:11 #244671 by hotseatgames
I'm 4 episodes into The Expanse. I like it a lot... much more than I thought I would. I hope it maintains its momentum. I always like Tom Jane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Mar 2017 23:01 #245380 by hotseatgames
Just watched the first two episodes of Iron Fist on Netflix. It stars Lorus from Game of Thrones, and so far I like it. The villain seems rather generic but I liked Lorus in GoT and I like him here too. I'm still wary; Luke Cage started out good too, and quickly got dumb. I never even finished that one.

More
20 Mar 2017 01:43 #245382 by Colorcrayons
I've watched it all this weekend binging.

I'll say it's not the same quality as daredevil was. But I will say that Harold Meachum is a subtle and cruel villain. Since danny rand is my second favorite marvel character behind doc strange, I will admit some rather high expectations.

While it.was a fun show, the story was told in too many episodes, and not enough concentrated.on Danny's past, even though there were many flashbacks.

Luke cage was okay, but in a blacksploitation way. I think iron fist is the poorest showing so far from Netflix for the defenders.
Mostly because the acting was so poor in many areas, made painfully apparent when the acting was good.
And also because danny rand is just another Luke Skywalker with family issues.

Worth watching, but as a fannof ironnfist, I was left a bit dissapointed.

More
22 Mar 2017 11:39 #245497 by Black Barney
Hey, I just realized that our favourite landlady, Mrs Roper, was the drugged out older woman in Requiem for a Dream. Wild huh?

i actually miss seeing Mr Roper do that dance with the plunger.

I thought of all this today cuz our AVP dresses like Mrs Roper. It's awful.

More
22 Mar 2017 12:15 #245502 by Gregarius
Are you high?

Mrs. Roper was played by Audra Lindley, who died in 1997.

Ellen Burstyn was nominated for an Oscar for Requiem, and is still alive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Varys

More
22 Mar 2017 12:16 #245504 by Gregarius
Of course, it is possible that you were making a joke, which just sailed peacefully over my head like that tiny 747 I can just barely see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
27 Mar 2017 13:55 #245665 by Shellhead
During a busy time at work, I have been binge-watching a fair amount of tv lately, thanks to the public library.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: BBC series based on a book that Neil Gaiman really liked. Just seven episodes, but I gave up after the sixth episode. The year is 1815, the place is London, and the subject is magic. Most members of a local order of mages turn out to be posers, but an ambitious young scholar of the arts comes into conflict with an older, more experienced mage. The older one (Norrell) is positively obsessed with the idea that only a limited range of magic is appropriate for usage, and he deems that to be "English magic." All other forms of magic, including various sorts familiar to young Jonathan Strange, are deemed forbidden by Norrell. Even for a british period drama, I found this show far too stuffy, and the whole English magic concept was belabored to the point where I just couldn't stand to watch one final episode. That said, there were some neat ideas and the efffects were good for the limited budget, so YMMV.

Ripper Street season four: as sometimes happens, a show outlives its natural lifespan. Ripper Street takes place in Whitechapel in the years following the notorious murders by Jack the Ripper. The show focuses on a couple of complex police officers working the district, and their eccentric and shady American medical consultant. The third season wrapped up multiple storylines in a very satisfying way. The fourth season brings back these characters with new complications that are well-grounded in past stories. With just seven episodes in season four, the story arcs moved along at a more brisk and entertaining pace, ending the season on a hell of a cliffhanger. Season five is supposed to be the final final season.

Kung Fu season one: I have fond but dim childhood memories of this show, and it surprisingly does not disappoint upon current viewing. An outcast Shaolin monk travels about the old west, righting various injustices while staying one step ahead of bounty hunters. The pace of the episodes is generally somewhat slow, but worth watching for the solid performance by David Carradine and some of the guest stars. The show relies on an interesting mixture of eastern philosophy and western pragmatism, shifting often between present action in the west and flashbacks of the shaolin monastary. One minor complaint that I have is that the same flashbacks have been used multiple times, and I have only watched the first five episodes so far. Along with the heavy use of flashbacks, this show also had surprisingly strong continuity for an early '70s tv show. Kung Fu was hugely influential, inspiring both Iron Fist and Shang-Chi comics, the Incredible Hulk tv show, Kill Bill, and now the new Iron Fist tv show. More importantly, it seemed to kick off an entire national obsession with the martial arts in the U.S. during the '70s.

More
27 Mar 2017 14:30 #245666 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: One minor complaint that I have is that the same flashbacks have been used multiple times, and I have only watched the first five episodes so far. .

Old school BSG was like that. They had exactly three shots of a Cylon fighter blowing up...used ad infinitum.

Shot 1: middle fighter in a 3 ship formation gets blown up
Shot 2: left fighter in a 3 ship formation gets blown up
Shot 3: right fighter in a 3 ship formation gets blown up

Actually, they probably just reverse the image of the 2nd and 3rd shots....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries

More
27 Mar 2017 21:45 #245677 by Shellhead
As I continue to watch Kung Fu, the action in the fight scenes gets better. And the show addresses some serious issues and sometimes offers some wisdom. For example, "If you dwell upon the past, you will rob the present. But if you ignore the past, you rob the future."

More
28 Mar 2017 00:47 #245683 by trif
Any one here watching Legion? A superhero show like none of the others (more like The Prisoner if Grant Morrison had written some of the episodes.)

Trippy, trippy stuff - I'm glad there's a show dealing with the psychedelic side of superhero comics.

Also any love for the new season of Hap and Leonard? I was disappointed in season 1 - felt it didn't quite capture the tone of the books and took too long to get anywhere. Season 2 seems a lot sprightlier and darker and captures Lansdale's whipsaw changes in tone.

More
28 Mar 2017 09:48 #245686 by Cranberries

(more like The Prisoner if Grant Morrison had written some of the episodes.)

Great description. I'm surprised the show hasn't received more attention.

More
28 Mar 2017 09:59 #245687 by Black Barney
Hey guys, which TV shows are the ones that you immediately stop on when you are channel flipping? I'm not talking about anything current since you don't really channel flip when something you like is actually on.

I think for me it's Star Trek: Next Generation and Seinfeld. I think I always stop on those when they're randomly on.

.... this feels like a Bobo question :(

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.600 seconds