October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
31 Mar 2017 08:40 #245822 by Black Barney
I was telling my hairdresser about the idea of cutting eyeholes in his toupee and wearing it like a mask.

The idea Howard liked best was my favourite, having to wear a T-shirt saying Convicted Pedophile. Lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2017 11:36 #245944 by Shellhead
Couldn't resist the $8 price tag at the used place, and bought Generation Kill. The creative masterminds behind The Wire doing a modern version of Band of Brothers, only with the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Two episodes in and it's interesting, but lacks the depth of insight of The Wire. The particular hook here is that this is a marine unit that was at the forefront of the invasion, and they are traveling with an embedded reporter from Rolling Stone magazine. I was expecting to see more Wire alumni, but so far it's just the actor who played the son of the union leader in season two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
04 Apr 2017 11:44 #245945 by Msample
Generation Kill is OK, but it is no Band of Brothers. Its not the shows fault - the unit was fighting a borderline unconventional war, with short spurts of action interspersed with long periods of boredom. Doesn't make for the most interesting story.

Some of the characters are pretty forgettable as well , other than Captain America .

More
04 Apr 2017 11:51 #245946 by hotseatgames
I liked Generation Kill, but will second that it's no Band of Brothers. I know it's realistic, the amount of nothing that happens... but it doesn't make for gripping television.

More
04 Apr 2017 12:06 #245947 by Msample
The Wire alum played almost the exact same personality as his ZIggy character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
04 Apr 2017 12:16 #245949 by charlest
That guy was also in Low Winter Sun I believe.

I really enjoyed Generation Kill, unexpectedly. A buddy got me to watch part of it when it originally aired and I was hooked. I actually had little to no interest in the war in Iraq (in terms of gaming/history) and this kind of pulled me in. I also fell in love with Hurt Locker shortly after.

More
04 Apr 2017 12:52 #245951 by Shellhead

charlest wrote: That guy was also in Low Winter Sun I believe.

I really enjoyed Generation Kill, unexpectedly. A buddy got me to watch part of it when it originally aired and I was hooked. I actually had little to no interest in the war in Iraq (in terms of gaming/history) and this kind of pulled me in. I also fell in love with Hurt Locker shortly after.

We must be the two people who watched Low Winter Sun. That show had an explosive opening, then simmered along with great tension created by the insane premise of a homicide detective investigating the murder that he committed. There was an amazing episode near the end, but otherwise I found it nowhere near as compelling as The Wire.

More
04 Apr 2017 13:21 #245953 by charlest
Agreed, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm a fan of both of those main actors. The guy who plays Morgan in Walking Dead (can't recall his name in Low Winter Sun), was also the only interesting part of the show Jericho, another one probably only one or two people have seen.

More
04 Apr 2017 14:32 #245955 by RobertB
I saw a few episodes of Jericho, does that count? It sounded like an interesting premise, but I couldn't get into it and stopped watching.

More
04 Apr 2017 14:36 #245956 by Msample
[quote="Shellhead" post=245951 nowhere near as compelling as The Wire.[/quote]

Few shows are.

More
04 Apr 2017 14:38 #245957 by Black Barney
i've never seen it

More
10 Apr 2017 22:01 #246310 by Shellhead
Not sure if I should post this under tv or movie, but I just watched the first tele-movie for the Jack Irish tv show. It's an Aussie tv show, which might explain why the whole run consists of three tele-movies and six regular tv episodes. Anyway, the show features Guy Pearce as a former defense attorney turned part-time carpenter with a sideline in questionable organized activity involving gambling on horses. A phone call from a former client who turns up dead prompts Jack to investigate. It's starts out as a cerebral mystery but turns very tense and exciting. Despite the odd format, I found this first episode to be the equivalent of a good movie. There is one more tele-movie in this dvd set, and then I'm guessing that season two will have the other tele-movie plus the tv episodes.

More
10 Apr 2017 22:06 #246311 by Shellhead
I also finished up Generation Kill yesterday, and found it to be very good overall. The first two episodes were okay, but then it got even better after that. Generation Kill can't measure up to Band of Brothers, in the same way that the Iraq War could never measure up to World War II. But it was still interesting and even thought-provoking at times. And like Band of Brothers, Generation Kill was based entirely on actual events, as reported by the Rolling Stone reporter and also the marines from that unit themselves, most of whom were interviewed during the production of Generation Kill. And a few of the marines both served as technical advisors and played themselves in the series.

More
11 Apr 2017 09:07 #246330 by Black Barney

Shellhead wrote: Generation Kill can't measure up to Band of Brothers, in the same way that the Iraq War could never measure up to World War II.

I don't think the theatre of war really holds much weight on how good a show or movie could be about it. For instance BlackHawk Down is a much better war movie than Saving Private Ryan. Limited engagement in Somalia > d-day landing?? It's all in the story telling and characters.

But yeah Band of Brothers beats all.

More
11 Apr 2017 10:28 #246337 by charlest

RobertB wrote: I saw a few episodes of Jericho, does that count? It sounded like an interesting premise, but I couldn't get into it and stopped watching.

You probably made the right call. I didn't think it was terrible, but it wasn't good. It did strike me as slightly better than that newer show, Revolution, which I bailed on after four or five episodes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.321 seconds