October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
01 May 2017 13:38 #247543 by the_jake_1973
I couldn't tolerate Badlands. So bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2017 10:35 #247578 by Gregarius
I don't have cable, so I'm often late to the party on TV shows. I wait for them to show up on Netflix, then watch them on my own time, binging if they're any good.

Anyway, that's my introduction to why I just finished watching season 2 of Better Call Saul over the weekend. Phenomenal. I liked it sooo much. It kills me that the new season is currently airing, but I'll have to wait a year before I see it.

There's also a video series over at the AV Club website called Polite Fight ( www.avclub.com/features/polite-fight/ ). Two editors at site dissect the filmmaking of every episode, so if you like the show, I highly recommend those videos as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 May 2017 10:59 - 02 May 2017 10:59 #247579 by Black Barney
So those hackers that leaked the entire new season of Orange is the New Black from Netflix... does that actually have any real effect on anything? Cuz I imagine these guys will try this stuff again with other networks. Holding seasons up for ransom... it's so weird.
Last edit: 02 May 2017 10:59 by Black Barney.

More
02 May 2017 16:12 #247592 by SebastianBludd

san il defanso wrote: I've been watching lots of the MST3K reboot. It's mostly good, although they have picked some surprising watchable movies for the new season. The riffing, at its worst, can sometimes consist of just making a reference without actually making a joke, which is disappointing. I think that's often a reflection of a boring movie, whereas the old show would just kind of be silent.

Still fun to watch. I am halfway through and enjoying it quite a bit.

I've only finished five episodes and while I'm not surprised that the movie segments are good, I have been pleasantly surprised at how funny the host segments are, which have been traditionally my least-favorite part of most episodes. Yeah, the riffing can get kind of frenetic at times but even if only 30% of those jokes land I still prefer it to, as you mentioned, stretches of silence or Mike/Kevin chuckling at the movie's absurdity in lieu of jokes.

I didn't like either of the danish movies (Reptilicus and The Time Travelers), Avalanche was a fun, loony disaster flick, but The Beast of Hollow Mountain was tedious until the stop-motion beast showed up. So far the highlight for me was the batshit crazy Cry Wilderness. I can't wait to watch the rest.

More
02 May 2017 16:36 #247593 by charlest
I started watching Broadchurch and it's pretty solid. Don't enjoy it as much as The Killing though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Cranberries

More
05 May 2017 08:21 #247855 by hotseatgames
Broadchurch starts stronger than it finishes.

So the most recent episode of Fargo.... in the words of Comic Book Guy, worst. Episode. Ever.

More
05 May 2017 09:35 #247860 by Grudunza
Eh, any time I can watch Carrie Coon for most of the whole hour, I'm pretty happy. It was just okay... I liked the robot animated story and how jerky the LA cop was... but not nearly as good as the previous week.

More
05 May 2017 12:46 - 07 May 2017 15:31 #247877 by Cranberries

hotseatgames wrote: Broadchurch starts stronger than it finishes.

So the most recent episode of Fargo.... in the words of Comic Book Guy, worst. Episode. Ever.

That's unfortunate about Broadchurch.

I thought that the most recent episode of Fargo was a little weird, but it worked for me. I love that view of sleazy California, the graveyard of broken dreams.

I stayed up until 3:00 a.m. last night watching Better Call Saul. I like it, and I want to hang out with Bob Odenkirk.
Last edit: 07 May 2017 15:31 by Cranberries.

More
10 May 2017 15:37 - 10 May 2017 15:40 #248125 by Colorcrayons
I'm a bit late to the party, but in my defense they had a long hiatus between season 2 and 3 of Hannibal.

So jumping back into the third season... One will need patience and as it seems to be primarily about setting a low thrumming tone of madness. However, it does it well. The first episode was great and I wish they kept that tone for the rest of the season, ignoring wills character completely.

But for such long set ups for the tone, they are really are rushing through this and cramming as much as they can knowing it would be the last season.

It's not Recommended for anyone other than the type of person who wants to be a tourist through madness. And this season does resemble a lot of lovecraftian protagonists in a way. The type of protagonist where you aren't quite sure whose side they are on. Humanity, or the worship of an insane elder evil?

How NBC was able to get this on the air at all, will never cease to amaze me. Especially since they couldn't keep Hell Blazer on there for more than a single season. But making fun of judeochristian Faith's is far more dangerous than exploring the pathos of atheistic monsters I suppose.
Last edit: 10 May 2017 15:40 by Colorcrayons.

More
17 May 2017 08:57 #248530 by charlest
Just watched the first episode of Fargo season 3. Very entertaining. Any show that closes with Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats is speaking to me.

More
31 May 2017 21:15 #249305 by hotseatgames
Tonight I finished the series finale of Bloodline. This is, without a doubt, the finest thing I've seen Netflix put out. Each episode, across 3 seasons, drips with tension, to the point where you really can't binge it. It's too much.

If you like drama and don't mind a bit of a slow burn, by all means watch it.

More
31 May 2017 22:37 #249310 by Ancient_of_MuMu
My wife watched Fringe when she was undergoing chemotherapy, and was home by herself and exhausted, so she always wanted to rewatch it as she wasn't in the right headspace, and is currently dragging me through her rewatch (for some reason for her it is really important that I watch this). We are early in Season 2 and it just isn't gripping me, as I have seen that X-Files rip-offof investigating the unusual so many times before (eg X-Files, Buffy, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, Eureka, etc). I know that Fringe is one of the best of these, possibly the best according to many people I respect. However the thought of watching another 80 odd episodes is terrifying when there are so many other things I want to watch, particularly as due to our busy lives we only get to watch 5 or 6 episodes a week, so I am looking at months of watching something I just don't like that much (but can't say no to my wife for various reasons). Can you guys please reassure me that it gets better as we progress.

More
31 May 2017 22:37 #249311 by Grudunza

hotseatgames wrote: Tonight I finished the series finale of Bloodline. This is, without a doubt, the finest thing I've seen Netflix put out. Each episode, across 3 seasons, drips with tension, to the point where you really can't binge it. It's too much.

If you like drama and don't mind a bit of a slow burn, by all means watch it.

Just heard another strong plug for this today on a podcast. Didn't really know much about it. Without giving specifics, do you feel like it ended in a satisfying way?

More
31 May 2017 23:48 #249313 by hotseatgames
The end wasn't what I expected. I am okay with it. The end was less dramatic than many moments of the show.

More
01 Jun 2017 07:23 #249316 by Black Barney
I binge watched the first half of season 6 of Walking Dead, and the finale, last weekend. Is only the premiere and finales of each season the only good episodes? There's a lot of crap in the middle

One episode, JSS, was particularly dreadful. They wanted to introduce a new character, a teenage girl, I guess just for Carl to interact with. So to introduce her to us, they have her as a passenger in a SUV with her parents on the side of a road. The parents are bickering over directions and she's trying to warn them about walkers. Walkers end up killing her parents when they both leave the vehicle. Where did these people come from? How did they survive this long while being so inept? Doesn't make any sense

Then she's walking alone and comes across a turtle and decides to eat it raw . There's no way she goes from being sheltered by her parents to being able to do this so fast.

Anyway on the bright side there was also an origin episode of the black guy with the bo stick that was really good. I enjoyed that change of pace

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.126 seconds