October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
01 Jun 2017 07:29 #249318 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
It's been a while since I saw it but I thought the idea was that the parents thing happened early on during the collapse of society, then there's a time-jump to her more recent situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2017 09:19 #249323 by Columbob

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: My wife watched Fringe when she was undergoing chemotherapy, and was home by herself and exhausted, so she always wanted to rewatch it as she wasn't in the right headspace, and is currently dragging me through her rewatch (for some reason for her it is really important that I watch this). We are early in Season 2 and it just isn't gripping me, as I have seen that X-Files rip-offof investigating the unusual so many times before (eg X-Files, Buffy, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, Eureka, etc). I know that Fringe is one of the best of these, possibly the best according to many people I respect. However the thought of watching another 80 odd episodes is terrifying when there are so many other things I want to watch, particularly as due to our busy lives we only get to watch 5 or 6 episodes a week, so I am looking at months of watching something I just don't like that much (but can't say no to my wife for various reasons). Can you guys please reassure me that it gets better as we progress.

It does - the first season is the most painful following the "paranormal phenomenon of the week" pattern. Soon it'll be all about parallel universes. At least you get to watch John Noble.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu, Gregarius

More
02 Jun 2017 19:23 - 21 Jun 2017 22:15 #249384 by Cranberries
Although it was uneven, there was some really weird, fun stuff and good performances in there. I did fast forward a little through some of the bottle/scavenger hunt episodes. The series finale was satisfying too.

I just finished watching season five of The Americans. Everyone was crying because this season was sort of standalone and had a lower body count, but I thought it had depth and was good. On the podcast, Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys sound like they are sort of cheerfully drunk, which is such a huge contrast to their characters.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2017 22:15 by Cranberries.

More
21 Jun 2017 15:00 #250238 by Black Barney
that tv series based on THE MIST looks AWFUL

More
21 Jun 2017 17:49 #250247 by Shellhead
In recent weeks, I have been re-watching the Justice League cartoon. I just finished the best part, which was the lengthy Project Cadmus story arc. Some of the two-part episodes from the first two seasons are clunkers, but most of the final two seasons are great. The show continuity ties into the excellent Batman and Superman cartoons of the '90s, and even provides a satisfactory conclusion to the Batman Beyond cartoon. Wonder Woman is pitch-perfect on this show, even better than the great movie version. There is also a Suicide Squad episode which is amazing, better than any other version of Suicide Squad ever, even the excellent Ostrander run of the late '80s. Some minor DC characters like Vigilante and the Question end up stealing scenes on certain episodes.

Some minor complaints: the Martian Manhunter is significantly weaker on this show, to avoid overshadowing Superman and also to avoid J'onn's lame weakness to fire. I would have rather seen less of Lex Luthor and more of other villains, but Lex is admittedly great on this show. Hawkman fans will be very disappointed, and while many JSA members appear, most are relegated to non-speaking parts.

This might be my all-time favorite cartoon series. Other favorites include Jonny Quest, Batman: the Animated Series, The Tick, and Jackie Chan Adventures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys

More
22 Jun 2017 09:15 #250260 by Cranberries
I just finished Fargo, season 3. The finale will anger many people, but I thought it was brilliant. There is Noah Hawley, and then there is everyone else.

More
22 Jun 2017 09:19 #250261 by hotseatgames
I'll finish Fargo tonight. Last night I finished the latest season of House of Cards. The finale is pretty great, and I am assuming that next season will be the end.

More
22 Jun 2017 09:22 #250263 by Gregarius
I agree that Justice League is pretty outstanding. One thing that always bothered me, though, was Wonder Woman flying. Did that start in the JL cartoon, or was there precedent for it in the comics? It just doesn't make any sense to me, especially when she *also* has her invisible jet.

More
22 Jun 2017 09:36 #250266 by Shellhead
After DC rebooted their continuity with Crisis on Infinite Earths, Wonder Woman suddenly had the ability to fly without assistance, retroactive all the way to her origin. The invisible plane lives on in the memories of people who watched the Wonder Woman tv show in the '70s.

More
22 Jun 2017 11:01 #250275 by Gregarius

Shellhead wrote: After DC rebooted their continuity with Crisis on Infinite Earths, Wonder Woman suddenly had the ability to fly without assistance, retroactive all the way to her origin. The invisible plane lives on in the memories of people who watched the Wonder Woman tv show in the '70s.

Huh. I read Crisis as it was coming out, but I didn't remember that aspect.

I don't think I ever watched the WW tv show, but I definitely remember the jet from the SuperFriends cartoon.

More
22 Jun 2017 11:17 #250280 by Shellhead
Some of the major changes at DC didn't happen during Crisis, they happened as individual titles rebooted. Wonder Woman started flying in issue #1 of her new title, though come to think of it, her former sidekick Donna Troy had been flying for many years before Crisis. Superman also got partially de-powered, and the golden age heroes of Earth-2 got retconned as the WWII-era heroes of Earth-1. The Charleston characters got swept into DC continuity, so Alan Moore was forced to file off the serial numbers on the Watchmen. Exciting times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
22 Jun 2017 12:03 #250287 by Colorcrayons

Black Barney wrote: that tv series based on THE MIST looks AWFUL

I saw many ads on YouTube yesterday for it. It could benefit from the serial treatment for character development, and based on their advertisements, that seems to be what they are going for.

Still, the movie will be hard to beat and sets a really high bar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Black Barney

More
22 Jun 2017 12:14 #250289 by Black Barney
Did you ever read the novella? Along with Misery, The Shining, The Raft, it's one of his stories that is really hard to decide which is better between book and film. All of these have been done really well but the source material is also excellent.

More
22 Jun 2017 12:27 #250291 by Colorcrayons
I did read it, after the movie.

I don't read much king. Besides this and the boogie man, I find not a lot of merit in his writing beyond the overall story itself. He should have stuck to short stories.

More
22 Jun 2017 12:41 - 22 Jun 2017 12:42 #250293 by Black Barney
i agree completely but if you haven't read Salem's Lot, you're doing yourself a great disservice.

That thing he did on the time travel with the JFK assassination was pretty good too. I liked that book a ton.

My favourite stuff of his is probably Eyes of the Dragon, Salem's Lot, and his short stories like The Running Man, The Long Walk, The Mist, The Raft....

you can't really read books after the movie, in my opinion, cuz your imagination won't do anything it's supposed to do. You will visually place things like they are in the movie and you'll just be playing out screencaps as you read. Doesn't work at all the way a book is supposed to. This is why I don't think I should even bother reading the Game of Thrones books at this point.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2017 12:42 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.655 seconds