October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
22 Jun 2017 12:50 #250295 by Colorcrayons
I agree, but I heard mention of a couple differences and had to see for myself if the vocal detractors of the movie were making a mountain out of a molehill or not.

It was much ado about nothing, and the movie ending was much better. So the detractors who favor the literature can go chase air off of a cliff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2017 12:27 #250348 by Gary Sax
I've been watching older episodes of Parts unknown, the Bourdain cnn show. It's really good. I think it's better than his earlier shows because it doesn't have an explicit mandate to be about food, even though most eps have a lot of food in them.

More
26 Jun 2017 10:30 #250437 by Shellhead
A friend urged me to try Criminal Minds, so I recently watched most of season 1. I do like profiler-style police procedural suspense, and there were some good episodes. But the show is too focused on one-and-done storytelling, so the tempo of the show becomes predictable.

1. Cold open with a crime in progress, with the perp's face out of the frame.
2. Brief title sequence with music.
3. Behavioral unit takes the case, explaining the crime and doing a very basic profile.
4. Unit goes to the scene, gets a few clues pointing in various directions.
5. Most of the clues are inconclusive or red herrings.
6. One clue leads to another clue that leads to cracking the case.
7. Suspect captured, usually just in time to prevent the next crime.
Sometimes there are a couple of minutes of B-story involving something personal about one or two of the agents, but it generally feels like filler to pad out a short script.

I might enjoy this show more if it eventually does more multi-part episodes and story arcs. With only 42 minutes to tell a story, they are kind of stuck with the formula.

More
26 Jun 2017 10:56 #250439 by Gregarius
Do you think the show's formulaic predictability is enhanced by binge watching? I feel like the way we watch shows now has completely changed how we react to them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Jun 2017 12:18 #250445 by Shellhead

Gregarius wrote: Do you think the show's formulaic predictability is enhanced by binge watching? I feel like the way we watch shows now has completely changed how we react to them.

That's a great question. I think that the formulaic scripting of Criminal Minds would be a problem either way, but I noticed it quicker due to binge watching. But in a general sense, binge watching probably improves the viewing experience with a modern show with a more open storyline. There is probably no advantage to binge-watching conventional done-in-one episodes, and the familiarity might become grating.

More
26 Jun 2017 12:29 - 26 Jun 2017 13:22 #250446 by boothwah

Gregarius wrote: Do you think the show's formulaic predictability is enhanced by binge watching? I feel like the way we watch shows now has completely changed how we react to them.

I think directors will learn that they have a different canvas to play with and we are going to see more open ended series that take advantage of the format....a lot more slow turns and incremental character developments/reveals.

It can make some bad writing and directing really stand out when you are chain guzzling episodes. Like, Jessica Jones. If you watch more than two episodes in a row, you will realize that they could have cut one entire episode of the series if they cut out all the dimly lit scenes of Jessica finding empty liquor bottles, before finding a full one and hitting it alone.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2017 13:22 by boothwah.

More
26 Jun 2017 13:39 #250453 by the_jake_1973
Netflix has a new show, GLOW, inspired by the 80's show of the same name. It is an entertaining fictionalized account of how the Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling was created. I grew up watching the show, so it hold a little nostalgia for me, even though the characters are not the same.

4 out of 5 leotards. 3.75 without prior GLOW exposure.

More
26 Jun 2017 14:08 #250456 by Grudunza

the_jake_1973 wrote: Netflix has a new show, GLOW, inspired by the 80's show of the same name. It is an entertaining fictionalized account of how the Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling was created. I grew up watching the show, so it hold a little nostalgia for me, even though the characters are not the same.

4 out of 5 leotards. 3.75 without prior GLOW exposure.

I loved the pilot but kind of hated the second episode. So I'll watch #3 as a tie-breaker. I have a big crush on Allison Brie, so that helps.

More
26 Jun 2017 15:15 #250458 by SuperflyPete
Watched "Shooter" (USA show) on Netflix. Better than the film by far. Hoping they renew and we see more BobLee Swagger stories. The "Shooter" story was one of the less interesting ones IMO

More
26 Jun 2017 16:55 #250462 by Msample
As far as book adaptations go, the movie wasn't terrible. However, they totally shortchanged the book's payoff final court room scene, which I had really been looking forward to seeing. And the farmhouse showdown wasn't nearly as good as the books hilltop assault. They also underplayed Swaggers southern roots.

The TV series is decent , although I question how many seasons they can stretch the SHOOTER book. Sure he had other adventures in the sequels to the book.

Overall, worth taping and watching.

More
26 Jun 2017 17:42 #250465 by Black Barney
Who's Allison Brie again?

More
26 Jun 2017 21:57 #250471 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: Who's Allison Brie again?

The hot brunette from Community.

More
26 Jun 2017 22:15 #250473 by Not Sure
Also Pete Campbell's wife on Mad Men.

I'll have to give GLOW a shot when I clear some other stuff out of my queue.

More
27 Jun 2017 10:33 #250498 by Gregarius
I started watching GLOW last night. So far it's entertaining, but kinda hit or miss. I like it more often than I don't. The main characters are very good (Brie, Maron, and a couple others), but the rest of the cast seem... bad. I may not the best judge of acting ability, but I can at least spot terrible acting, and these girls got it. Fortunately, there's usually at least one nude scene an episode, so it's got that going for it.

More
30 Jun 2017 04:59 #250666 by repoman
Do you guys remember Bernie Mac? He used to have a TV show they called The Bernie Mac show.

It was funny....it's still funny...it's on Netflix.

Man this show is really good. Makes me laugh out loud every episode and I don't mean that in a LOL kind of way. I mean actual vocalized guffaws.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.556 seconds