October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Just saw John Carter...

More
30 Mar 2012 18:57 #121121 by Sagrilarus

Black Barney wrote: Sag, wasn't I infering that from the trailer tho? I think I'm being taken out of context. Movies with strong characters and great scripts don't have trailers like that.

Jesus Barney, SEE THE GODDAMNED MOVIE AND SPEAK FROM AN INFORMED OPINION!

Here's what you've said, in context -- "I haven't seen the movie, but I think it SUCKS because I saw an ad for it that I didn't like. Oh, and some people I don't know didn't like it."

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2012 19:20 #121124 by Black Barney
I don't wanna!

btw, I LOVE that you again write what I said OUT OF CONTEXT except this time added, "in context" first AND you put quotes on what YOU interpret I said as if I actually said it.

In all my trolling (and I'm a PRO), I don't think I've ever done that. It's hilarious. You should apply to FoxNews or something.

More
30 Mar 2012 20:06 #121125 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Just saw John Carter...
I don't think it's out of context. The comments you made are right in this thread. The context of what you said, though perhaps not the exact wording, was that you refused to see the movie because you thought it would suck based on poor marketing and what critics had said.

That is just what Sag put in his latest post. That is the context.

Stop being mealy mouthed. You have a baseless opinion. Big woop. Just admit it and move on.

Oh, and if your gonna make lame jokes about Fox News, please make the same jokes about CBC and ABC and CBS and NBC and CNN and MSMNBC and Time and Newsweek and The New York Times and the Washington Post and the BBC....

That way you can be fair and balanced.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Mar 2012 20:34 #121129 by Black Barney
fock, instead of submit, I hit Thank You! GODDAMMIT. Well, here's the gist (jist) of my response.

I'm not trying to be fair and balanced. I'm not a news network nor am i claiming to be fair and balanced and not being so.

What you said in your first paragraph, Repo, is exactly what I'm saying in this thread. What Sag said isn't. If you don't see the difference, then you're lost.

You guys with your stupid "baseless opinion" stamps are insane. I don't really care for Hitler* much. I've never met him. If I wrote a review of the movie, that would be a baseless opinion. If i talked about the cinematography of the movie, that's a baseless opinion. Me not wanting to see it because I don't think I would like it isn't a baseless opinion. I'm not telling other people not to see it.

I bet you are the type of guys that doubt science or question what doctors tell you.

*The Hitler card was played at 14:33 EST. This thread has officially gained Internet Argument status.

More
30 Mar 2012 22:00 #121134 by bfkiller

Black Barney wrote: I bet you are the type of guys that doubt science or question what doctors tell you.

Sidenote: Fucking rights you should question what doctors tell you. (At least question it until the 2nd and/or 3rd opinions say the same thing.) Some doctors are talking out of their asses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Mar 2012 22:33 #121137 by Hex Sinister
True enough. I just got back from my appointment and the doctor said John Carter sux. I'm getting on the phone with my neurologist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle, Black Barney

More
31 Mar 2012 19:11 - 31 Mar 2012 19:18 #121202 by Notahandle
Black Barney wrote:
" Hatch, that's more than fair. I can't see everything and you're right that I am letting people that were 'meh' about the movie influence me not wanting to see it."
But Barney, you were the first one going 'meh' and you'd already made your mind up.
(Or is that 'baa' you evil tweenie tool of rotten tomatoes?)

" Movies with strong characters and great scripts don't have trailers like that."
Sure they do, here's one.

" nor am i claiming to be fair and balanced"
I think we can all agree that you're unbalanced...
Last edit: 31 Mar 2012 19:18 by Notahandle.

More
31 Mar 2012 21:32 #121208 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Just saw John Carter...
The bottom line is that John Carter Princess of Mars is an odd and difficult book to revise for a modern audience. At it,s core it is increadibly racist. The underpinnings of the story is that the Native Americans/Green Martians are savage brutes lacking human compassion and empathy. They are less human than a dog/whoola. They require the guidance of the White Man/Red Martians to evolve. John Carter's primary character trait is that he is an honorable soldier, who, by example teaches the savage the meaning of friendship and loyalty.

Obviously, this needs to be pretty much entirely stripped out of the story, which leaves you with a bunch of shit happening tp a rather bland dude and a thin love story. For John Carter to rise above a fun, family adventure flick, they really needed a more charismatic lead with a better devwloped character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
31 Mar 2012 23:36 #121214 by Disgustipater
I just saw it and I enjoyed it. I liked it much better than the Hunger Games.

My only question is why are these two cities so important to the whole of Mars for the Thurn to be manipulating things? Are these supposed to be the only two cities on the planet?

More
01 Apr 2012 00:43 #121218 by Mr. White
Uba, quite right, but they were at least able to make it a very good family adventure.

I was glad they at least kept him a Confederate cavalryman. However, I was pleasantly surprised that while on the run from the US soldiers he ended up throwing in with them and looking after the captain during the Apache encounter. I was only surprised because 'going native' is so common in films these days, it was refreshing to see the movie portray how encounters like that probably went down 90% of the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds