October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

TV character deaths that were best for plot

More
20 Mar 2012 13:08 #119829 by Sagrilarus

Josh Look wrote: Not really a tv death, but (Firefly spoiler ahead)

Warning: Spoiler!

Nah. At that point the whole film was such a mess that I wasn't really buying any of it. Truly an arbitrary film. It felt like one of those choose-your-own-adventure books.

Henry Blake's death on M*A*S*H was pretty groundbreaking in its execution as well. The scene wasn't scripted. Gary Burgoff was handed a piece of paper at the last second and told to enter the room, read it, and they filmed as the actors reacted as they chose. This wasn't the kind of thing that was done at the time, and the cast was caught so off guard that none of them said anything. This wasn't merely a transition for the audience, it was a transition for the cast as well.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2012 13:20 #119831 by OldHippy

repoman wrote: <derisive tone> Spear and magic helmet..</derisive tone>

Are you mocking my choice or do you think I'm mocking the thread? I have no clue. In any case Bugs death in that short is a legit entry and for me one of the greatest death scenes ever on TV. Beautifully executed.

Ren and Stimpy at the end of Space Madness is another one I like. Perfect ending to one of the best cartoon episodes ever. There's one in Farscape and another in Buffy I like too but they don't reasonate as well as the previous two.

More
20 Mar 2012 15:47 - 20 Mar 2012 15:49 #119865 by repoman
Not mocking anything really. I love that cartoon. Bug's mocks Fudd in his "spear and magic helmet" which is what I was referring to.

This was the short that won an Oscar as well I think.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2012 15:49 by repoman.

More
20 Mar 2012 23:17 #119985 by OldHippy
That was the third choice.

Spear and Magic Helmet!!

Spear and Magic Helmet??

But I realize now that the first season of Angel has a surprising (to me) death that has re-percussion's throughout every following season of the show. I was pissed at first but as the show went on I realized what a great choice it was and how much it helped the show out. I just didn't want the character to die.

More
21 Mar 2012 00:54 #120001 by mikoyan
I would have to agree wtih you guys about Henry Blake's death. I still get sad just thinking about it.

More
21 Mar 2012 16:56 #120110 by SaMoKo
Nina whacking Jack's wife in the first season of 24 was pretty good.

I'd like to say when Coyote killed that smug Roadrunner, but that just hasn't happened yet :(

More
22 Mar 2012 07:32 #120215 by daveroswell

Black Barney wrote: great thread, Dave! I was honestly going to say President Bartlett's secretary (devastating) in WEST WING and Tasha Yar in Next Generation.

How about Mr. Hooper in Sesame Street? Holy crap, that was sad. Even the cast is crying in this one bit where Big Bird is trying to figure out death. Super heavy stuff.

Who was Phil Leotardo in Sopranos? I thought Pussy's death was good but the most affecting was Adriana's. Holy cow.

..and as a hardcore trekker, I gotta correct you. WORF. Not wharf like in San Francisco. JEEZ WHIZ

I barely remember Leo's death in West Wing but I sort of remember it being epic at the same time.

I thought about mentioning Mr. Hooper; that was BRILLIANT television, using the tragedy of someone's passing to teach children about dealing with grief. There used to be clips of the scene with the cast and Big Bird, but I guess they were taken down because of copyright laws. Truly a shame, because that clip, even though almost 30 years old, is still relevant today.

As for your Star Trek comment, I truly apologize. I have been getting this wrong for years. And oh yeah...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds