October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Hunger Games?

More
31 Mar 2012 16:04 #121188 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Re: The Hunger Games?

gvegas wrote: My daughter reports that almost everyone in her fifth grade class has read these books. As I told her this morning, as a kid, the world is still a pretty amazing place with only a few dark corners she is aware of. I'd like to try to help make that last as long as I can, without being overly protective.

I don't know, in fifth grade I started reading novels like Watchers (Dean Koontz) and Jurassic Park, which both have a lot killing (admitedly not by my then current age group) and I thought it opened up a pretty amazing world.

But then again, I don't have kids.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZMeston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2012 16:29 #121193 by gvegas
Replied by gvegas on topic Re: The Hunger Games?

Disgustipater wrote:

gvegas wrote: My daughter reports that almost everyone in her fifth grade class has read these books. As I told her this morning, as a kid, the world is still a pretty amazing place with only a few dark corners she is aware of. I'd like to try to help make that last as long as I can, without being overly protective.

I don't know, in fifth grade I started reading novels like Watchers (Dean Koontz) and Jurassic Park, which both have a lot killing (admitedly not by my then current age group) and I thought it opened up a pretty amazing world.

But then again, I don't have kids.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's a tough call sometimes, believe me! My kids have seen Jurassic Park. That violence got a pass from me because the violence was "natural" in some wierd sense. Animals against humans kind of thing due to man's hubris kind of morality play. This movie/book seems more disturbing to me becaue of the, lets call it what it appears to be, child on child violence, and the explicit or implicit "approval" of adults in positions of authority that puposefully puts them in a cage match of death. Jurassic Parks violence is all about our ultimate inability to control/predict or shape nature, and the consequences of those attempts both now and in an imagined future, and how vulnerable we are without our technology. A T-Rex, doing what it does, was OK to me. Telling kids to go after each other for entertainment does not. Maybe I'm a hypocrite, maybe the line I imagine is not there, but that's where I see it right now.

As far as Koontz goes, I read more King when I was younger, and the violence there, again, I was able to deal with (with minimal nightmares if I recall correctly) because the stories often involved kids working with or without adults (was anything as disappointing as the end to the book It?) trying to defeat or overcome evil or some horrible thing, not being part and parcel of that "evil" or thing itself. This is maybe why books and movies like Stand by Me I am totally OK with, but this just seems so much more amplified and horrific that I just can't do it. I will probably download and read the first book though to make sure I'm not being an a'hole, but for right now, based on what I've heard, this seems like a no go for me, and maybe only for me, and that's OK.

More
31 Mar 2012 19:29 #121203 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
Space Ghost wrote:
" Just have to remember that it is a story written for teen girls."
AKA the Barney Demographic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
31 Mar 2012 20:40 #121206 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re: The Hunger Games?

Black Barney wrote: Skelly, you didn't like it?

Oh I wouldn't go and see it, I saw a trailer and knew it was a movie for stupid young chicks who put dopey random tattoos in stupid places. I give the movie 3/10.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling

More
01 Apr 2012 02:55 #121231 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
See, I was right...I am actually a 13-year old girl. I like The Hunger Games and Miley Cyrus.

More
01 Apr 2012 05:50 #121238 by ufe
Replied by ufe on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
I knew this was a teen book with a love triangle going in, but i let my curriosity get the better of me and saw it tonight. I was a HUGE Battle Royale fan in High School (read the book and manga and probably seen the movie at least 30 times) and couldn't resist. While not very similar, this doesn't hold a candle to BR in my opinion. Random musings incoming...

Battle Royale was pretty much just high school turned up to 11 while Hunger Games just had some vague stuff about class with the rich fucking over the poor, but it never really goes in to that much. Sounds like the sequels explore it a bit more though, but I'll probably wait for those to come to Netflix.

They spend a lot of time pre games fleshing out the world and the reasoning for the games, but it still never really makes any sense, so it sort of comes off as a wasted effort. I guess the sequels flesh this out more? The costumes of the people in the capital were really cool though.

Like Loter said, the fireballs, dogs and geneticaly enginered bees were sort of a wtf moment every time they whiped those out since they never explained what the deal was.

I guess the fact that the book is written from Katniss' perspective hurts the film because you never see what's happening to other characters and she's just not that interesting. She doesn't suck, she's pretty baddass at times, it just would have been nice to see what other people were up to.

Unless you've read the books (and have therefore most likely seen it already), I'd wait for DVD/Netflix. It's alright. Not really bad, but not particularly good either.

More
06 Jun 2012 10:56 #127504 by NickWills
Replied by NickWills on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
Hello Everyone,

Ya dear i watched the "The Hunger Game" movie.I think this very unique story to all other action movies.I really like this star cast & action in which character i like is Jennifer Lawrence. According to me i think this biggest movie of 2012.

More
06 Jun 2012 12:33 - 06 Jun 2012 14:15 #127505 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: The Hunger Games?

jay718 wrote:

Dr. Mabuse wrote: I like that the author essentially took Battle Royale and gave the setting more of a back story as well sets up what happens after the Games.

I've been trying to figure out what makes this different from Battle Royale and everyone I know that's read the books says simply "It just is." Seriously, every one of them says the exact same thing. That and "You have to read them." I'm not sure I'm buying it.

I was having a hard time figuring out how any of it is different from Lord of the Flies with more T&A. The line someone used here about BR being "high school turned up to 11" is fairly apt, though.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2012 14:15 by Dogmatix.

More
06 Jun 2012 15:18 #127516 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
I'd never read the books but I've seen the movie. It was ....ok. I can see why it appeals to teens. Adults have fucked up the world but it's the teens that are paying the price. It resonates particularly well today for obvious reasons but it's typical teen angst in any age. They have to a) survive it....and/or b) break it in such a fundamental way the old order is destroyed.

Adults are stupid and weak. Teens are smart and brave. It's a great story if you're a teenager but I don't think it's fifth grade material. Not because it's shocking or especially violent in comparison to what else is out there, but because it's outside their frame of reference at that age.

Kids that age still see adults as role models and it's the wrong age to start shaking that up.

More
06 Jun 2012 15:29 #127517 by san il defanso
Not sure how this pans out in the books, but everyone in the movie seemed totally alright with the fact that kids are in a death match with each other. I never really bought that society "got" to that point. Seemed really contrived to me, like something the movie had to gloss over to function.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds