October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Hunger Games?

More
06 Jun 2012 15:57 #127520 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
Well we are at the point where most of the internationally connected world knows about all the terrible atrocities done to people, including women and children, in a bunch of places throughout the world yet we all mostly turn a blind eye and try to forget we know about child soldiers and 8 year old hookers and all that short of shit. So I dunno, seems like not much of a stretch for us to get cynical enough about things in the aftermath of a devastating global war to just not give a shit even more and say we might as well enjoy the show.

Plus, it's pretty much incontrovertible fact that boxing and even American football cause brain damage and turn most competitors into cripples who die young and in pain. Yet in the case of football at least, we're still all in as a society for it being the fucking greatest entertainment. Not that far off from fights to the death really.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2012 16:07 #127522 by san il defanso

MattLoter wrote: Well we are at the point where most of the internationally connected world knows about all the terrible atrocities done to people, including women and children, in a bunch of places throughout the world yet we all mostly turn a blind eye and try to forget we know about child soldiers and 8 year old hookers and all that short of shit. So I dunno, seems like not much of a stretch for us to get cynical enough about things in the aftermath of a devastating global war to just not give a shit even more and say we might as well enjoy the show.

Plus, it's pretty much incontrovertible fact that boxing and even American football cause brain damage and turn most competitors into cripples who die young and in pain. Yet in the case of football at least, we're still all in as a society for it being the fucking greatest entertainment. Not that far off from fights to the death really.

I wouldn't disagree with you, but I do think the movie failed to do the legwork to get me to believe it.

Part of what I liked about the movie is how it didn't get bogged down in detail about the world it took place in. I thought that was a good move and allowed it to stay very focused. The downside is that there are places where the viewer is forced to make a logical leap. I think this might be one of those places.

More
06 Jun 2012 17:04 #127531 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
I assume you are talking about football where you don't really use feet or a ball and where the tough guys have to dress in candy ass armour? What a bunch of nancys.

Check out proper football where they do use feet and a round ball and don't have any protection except shin pads.

Still I fucking hate sport so what would I know?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
06 Jun 2012 17:18 #127533 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
Proper football? Is that the sport where if you get the slightest brush by an opponent you take a dive and writhe on the ground like you have a compound fracture? And when the ref fails to blow the whistle and give you a free kick you whine like a bitch? Oh and don't get me started on the 0-0 ties. Fuck soccer in the goat ass.

Oh as for the movie, I haven't seen it. The book was pretty decent though. I thought it had more to do with the main character knowing that her societey wasn't "right" but she didn't want to be a crusader for change. All she wanted to do was protect her family.

-Will
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
06 Jun 2012 17:40 #127537 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
I enjoyed the first book, the next two were not nearly as good. The love triangle was a little ridiculous... come on I am busy trying to kill these other kids, fighting for my life, my family is starving, but you know, which boy should I choose.

I found the world and the back story way more intertesting then the Battle Royale novel. If I recall the BR kids were just on a bus and then woke and had to kill each other. Adminttedlly the asbect of having to kill your classmate is a bit more frightning then killing strangers from another district. While Hunger Games had a lot of background on why the games exsisted and why people participated.

I have not seen the movie of Hunger Games and thought the movie for BR was just okay. It really bothered me that they made two of the main characters be students that just transfered in, rather having a history with the heroes.

I might let my daughter read the book in the 5th/ 6th grade, but not see the movie. I think what your mind creates on its own is less disturbing then having the picture shoved into your brain. Plus putting the book down is easier then stopping the movie.

Soccer is way better than American football, but Rugby (Union) is for real men.

More
06 Jun 2012 18:41 #127538 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: The Hunger Games?
In my opinion, the best novel for teens is Krabat. (Don't bother with the movie, it sucks.)

Generally speaking: It's about a mill where boys are trained in black magic, more or less against their will. Every year one of them is sacrificed. The protagonist is trying to end this scheme.

While the situation is similar to the battle royal theme of Black Games, the message is much more idealistic, because at the end the protagonist tries to save his competitors by risking his own life.

One character in the book left a lasting impression on me. The smartest boy of all is surviving in the mill by pretending to be a fool. Well, I certainly don't try to hide my intelligence on this forum, but in real life I usually hide my strengths, which allows me to easily recognize superficial people and to outwit arrogant people when they underestimate me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds