October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

New top list of SuperHero movies?

More
09 May 2012 02:35 #124895 by mikoyan
I'm not a comic book reader but I do enjoy some of the super hero films. So I go into them looking for a good story and not whether or not they follow the canon. That being said, this list is in no particular order...

Mystery Men - I really enjoyed the fact that they were super heroes but pretty much just normal people with unusual skills.

The Incredibles - I haven't seen it in a while though.

Superman - I actually like the first Christopher Reeve one and the one they did a few years ago.

I haven't really watched the X-men movies but I've enjoyed the Avengers and the movies leading up to that. STill have to watch the Hulk yet though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2012 03:41 #124898 by SuperflyPete

Fallen wrote: So, put on your party dress Nancy, because your pro Punisher ranting’s argument has been thoroughly violated. ;)

Only one problem with your thesis....Joker, Mr. Freeze, the Riddler, and all of these other shit-eaters cannot actually exist. If it were plausible, there'd be dickheads letting Ricin gas balloons off at the Macy's Parade. Implausable to a one.

The penguin? With a nuclear pengui-sub? Seriously?

Punisher baddies are hardened thugs. Not to mention NSA and other alphabet soup agencies have a hard on for Frank Castle.

Punisher FTW.

TRASHDOME!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
09 May 2012 15:21 - 09 May 2012 16:01 #124939 by Egg Shen
I'm admittedly not into super hero movies as much as I once was, but here is my list. No particular order for the top 5.

Batman (1989) - This is still an absolute classic in terms of atmosphere and style. It's just dark enough and overall it works extremely well. I think Keaton has been the best on-screen batman (Kevin Conroy in the animated series is still the best overall). I can watch this movie over and over again and never tire of it.

Iron Man - This movie surprised the heck out of me. It's flashy and over the top, but Robert Downey Jr is downright incredible as Tony Stark. He really makes the movie and without him, I'm not sure this one even makes the short list.

Superman 1 - Another 80s classic that has withstood the test of time. Great cast, charming special effects, good story. There is a lot to like here.

Spiderman 2 - I think Raimi did a wonderful job with Spidey. Hell, even the 3rd isn't nearly as bad as everyone claims. The second one is just head and shoulders better than the other two. With the origin story out of the way they focused on a good meaty inner conflict. It was really well done.

X2 - When I saw this in theatres during college my mind was blown. Excellent characters, the story was well done and it didn't just focus on absurd action. I loved it. Still do.

Honorable mentions

Batman Returns - Very dark and very cool. This movie just always stuck with me. It perfectly handled multiple villains, had some very memorable moments... Alot of people dislike this one, but I could re-watch this one over and over again.

The Dark Knight - I'm not as gaga over the recent trilogy of Batman movies as everyone else, but you cannot argue the quality of this film. The Joker was perfectly done and Heath Ledger immortalized himself due to this role and his subsequent death. During his scenes with the music constantly building to a crescendo, you literally felt uneasy because you didn't know what would happen. He was electric. Overall, this is an emotional, draining experience. It runs about 15-20 minutes longer than it needs to, and I don't love Harvey Dent/Two face's character arc. I have to be in the right sort of mood to sit through this one.

Kick Ass - This movie was a blast. It totally took me by surprise with how well done it was. Hit Girl was amazing...and hell even Nick Cage churned out a decent performance.

Scott Pilgrim - Despite not being into the whole hipster emo thing, this movie was pretty damn great. It is visually striking with some of the most well done and appropriate uses of CG in a film to date. Just a very well made movie that is silly and fun from start to end. When its over you want to play Streets of Rage 2 or The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
Last edit: 09 May 2012 16:01 by Egg Shen.

More
09 May 2012 18:57 #124979 by Fallen

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Fallen wrote: So, put on your party dress Nancy, because your pro Punisher ranting’s argument has been thoroughly violated. ;)

Only one problem with your thesis....Joker, Mr. Freeze, the Riddler, and all of these other shit-eaters cannot actually exist. If it were plausible, there'd be dickheads letting Ricin gas balloons off at the Macy's Parade. Implausable to a one.

The penguin? With a nuclear pengui-sub? Seriously?

Punisher baddies are hardened thugs. Not to mention NSA and other alphabet soup agencies have a hard on for Frank Castle.

Punisher FTW.

TRASHDOME!

The Joker & Riddler could easily exist; the latest Joker entry is completely viable. We have no idea where he came from, only that he had an over abusive father and that the relationship ended on a sour note. That gives us a whole lot of years where we have no idea what he got up to (kinda like Jesus's hiatus in his teens).

The Riddler isn't a far cry from the Joker, inspired by even, one and the same. The Penguin, Mr. Freeze and the multitude of other morons finding themselves on the wrong side of a batarang are hardly worth any mention. I completely agree.

But, in all reality, The Punisher has the same snow balls chance of reality as Batman does. If either of these dudes blipped screens anywhere, you can bet your ass a group like Seal Team 6 would fuck their shit up. So let’s get back to fantasy where this discussion belongs, we’re not a couple of fat fucks sitting in mommy’s basement swilling Jolt cola and scarfing Mr.Noodles. Well, not any more anyway. Was even cut out of the will….. erm…

Ok King Put, Trashdome!

Joker vs. any Punisher villain(I’ll even let you choose Marvel Hero’s/villains from other books/movies the Punisher was legitimately thrown against) or organization Supa can pit against him & a second entry for the Punisher vs. Batman, because it takes a serious villain to make a serious (anti)hero.

More
09 May 2012 19:04 - 09 May 2012 19:08 #124980 by dragonstout

Jeff White wrote: I'm really intrigued by the way Marvel studios is putting their movies in the same universe. I could be wrong, but weren't the Marvel comics the first to do that as well? You know, have Spidey show up in an issue of the FF?

Absolutely not, this is classic Stan Lee bullshit. Batman and Superman teamed up in 1954, before Spidey or the FF, or Marvel comics as we know them, even existed. And actually, that's silly, you can go even further back, to All-Star Comics and the Justice Society of America, which was also a team-up of existing heroes, starting in 1940.
Last edit: 09 May 2012 19:08 by dragonstout.

More
09 May 2012 19:06 #124981 by san il defanso
I've always thought the Burton Batman movies were pretty overrated. Nicholson is a good Joker, but Batman himself is always a cipher, regardless of whether it's Keaton, Kilmer, or Clooney. He's just a guy in a suit, like the movie doesn't want to go to the trouble to get to know him at all.

The movie itself is kind of a shapeless mess. There's very little shape to it. Burton's movies both look great, but they're both pretty dour without any payoff for slogging through them.

Well, I take that back. I like the end of Batman Returns, where the Penguin is giving an inspiring speech to an army of jetpacked penguins. That was something I can easily say I've never seen before.

More
09 May 2012 19:16 #124982 by dragonstout

SebastianBludd wrote: That being said, they could base a new Punisher movie off any of the mini-arcs from Garth Ennis' run on Punisher Max and it'd be good, IMO.

If anyone wants to buy five of those fucking amazing "mini-arcs" for fucking $30 like I've been trying to sell for ages, let me know.

More
09 May 2012 19:33 - 09 May 2012 19:34 #124986 by SuperflyPete
I know, Andy, I know. Sad fact is that my wife started working, brings in like 500$ a month, but now that she works and sees that she's got more money, she spends 700$ a month.

I should've jumped on them when the wife was still stay-at-home!

FML
Last edit: 09 May 2012 19:34 by SuperflyPete.

More
09 May 2012 19:58 #124991 by OldHippy

dragonstout wrote:

Jeff White wrote: I'm really intrigued by the way Marvel studios is putting their movies in the same universe. I could be wrong, but weren't the Marvel comics the first to do that as well? You know, have Spidey show up in an issue of the FF?

Absolutely not, this is classic Stan Lee bullshit. Batman and Superman teamed up in 1954, before Spidey or the FF, or Marvel comics as we know them, even existed. And actually, that's silly, you can go even further back, to All-Star Comics and the Justice Society of America, which was also a team-up of existing heroes, starting in 1940.

To be fair to Stan Lee what Marvel did was different.

"Never before had one comic book company's burgeoning cast of characters both heroic and villainous, lived in the same world - mainly in the same city, New York - where they would meet and interface with each other just like we all do in our every day lives."

- Stan Lee

It wasn't just a crossover or two it was a conscious decision to include all the other hero's as much as possible in the story arcs. Even when investigating a case say Iron Man might project his body around the world and talk to Spiderman, FF, X-Men etc... which was unusual. The other thing about Stan Lee that the too cool for school kids don't like to mention is that even though Kirby, Ditko et. all did the ground work designing the characters they wouldn't have ever been nearly as popular with the ol' Ringmaster selling things with his buy my medicine routines. He was good at that kind of public grandstanding.

Kirby wanted to write a book called "Excelsior my ass!" but never got around to it... I think several of his projects would have ended with the same fate unless he learned to sell himself. That's what Stan was for.

I used to hate Stan Lee based on reading stuff about Kirby but I've come around to understanding his usefulness over the years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
09 May 2012 20:54 - 09 May 2012 20:55 #125010 by SuperflyPete
There is absolutely not one single product on the planet that does not require a competent salesperson's services to get customers to meet halfway with producers.

The REALLY excellent salespeople can get the people to come all the way, despite significant barriers to acceptance. Stan Lee is that guy. He rates right up there with the asshole who convinced the world that it's better to spend $1.75 on a bottle of something that comes out of your tap at home, that can be dispensed into your own, pre-owned bottles.
Last edit: 09 May 2012 20:55 by SuperflyPete.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds