October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Dredd Trailer

More
25 Jun 2012 16:54 #129244 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: Dredd Trailer
This movie very well could end up being pretty decent, but I will not see it in theaters. It will very likely be a rental a long time down the road.

Thoughts on the trailer:

This movie looks like it was produced to look like several other popular "action" franchises. It goes for the gritty realism that every movie nowadays feels the need to exude. The main character has a gruff voice that is reminiscent of too many recent characters to mention. The sci-fi setting looks generic as all hell...it has no sense of wonder or anything. You look at it and go, "oh this entire movie is shot in front of green screen or done with CG. It looks synthetic and boring. The drab muted grayscale colors are another cool "action movie" trend that has already worn out its welcome.

Like I said, the movie could very well end up being an enjoyable watch, but the trailer screams of producers trying to make money back by copying every successful cliche in recent years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2012 17:11 #129246 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: Dredd Trailer
I'm a big fan of 2000 AD(Obviously), so I'll most definitely see it. As to how good it'll be that is hard to tell from the trailer. I guess you have to be in one of the two Dredd camps...Cheesy, or Gritty? Dredd comics have been both from issue to issue, writer to writer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
25 Jun 2012 19:00 #129253 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic Re: Dredd Trailer
Im going to suggest that the ideal Dredd picture would walk a fine balance between both cheesy and gritty.

My main issue with the trailer, is that Dredd looks really serious, and rather dull. The main attraction of the comics for me, was the totally self obsessed and oppresive control nature of Dredd.

Yeah the city and the visuals look pretty dull. On the plus side, the plot premise seems good, its not over blown. I still expect this to be better than the Stalon crap.

More
25 Jun 2012 22:00 - 25 Jun 2012 22:00 #129283 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re: Dredd Trailer

DukeofChutney wrote: Im going to suggest that the ideal Dredd picture would walk a fine balance between both cheesy and gritty.

My main issue with the trailer, is that Dredd looks really serious, and rather dull. The main attraction of the comics for me, was the totally self obsessed and oppresive control nature of Dredd.

Yeah the city and the visuals look pretty dull. On the plus side, the plot premise seems good, its not over blown. I still expect this to be better than the Stalon crap.

Stallone as Dredd was like a Jag with a Yugo engine. It looked pretty, but it wasn't going anywhere. The movie only had "cheesy", if you could call it that, with Schneider's character. The removing of the helmet was heresy, in my opinion. The dude uses the SLEEP MACHINE wearing it. He never takes it off.

I think the one line that made me chuckle was when they put the block in lockdown and Dredd's only response was, "That's not good." But spoken with a blase timbre.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2012 22:00 by Rliyen.

More
25 Jun 2012 22:45 #129287 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re: Dredd Trailer
Yeah, I don't know. I've only read the very early Judge Dredd comics, but this doesn't look or sound at all like those.

Judge Dredd is a corny motherfucker. Every issue of the early comics ended with him spitting some dumb one-liner like "Looks like that crook broke his motorcycle, something that must never happen to the law!" That makes you imagine some guy who sounds like Gregory Peck, not Christian Bale in The Dark Knight. Mega City One looked like IGY futurism gone bananas. Even in black and white, it looked garish.

That's probably not something that would fly with Hollywood, or today's audience, but this looks like the polar opposite of that. I'm not detecting any hint of a satirical bent to it. Dredd gets some one-liners, but they just sound stupid, not humorously stupid.

More
25 Jun 2012 22:49 - 25 Jun 2012 22:53 #129289 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Re: Dredd Trailer
I showed the trailer to my wife without telling her what film it was for, and she said that until Dredd appeared she thought it was a trailer for The Dark Knight Rises. It definitley looks like it is trying to mimic the Nolan Batman films. I am dubious and have low expectations, but will see it because I am a Dredd fan.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2012 22:53 by Ancient_of_MuMu.

More
26 Jun 2012 22:01 #129397 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Re: Dredd Trailer
The bit at the end appears to be Dredd throwing Lena Headey out of that window with the "The sentence is death" voice over.

God I hate most trailers these days.

More
26 Jun 2012 22:50 #129400 by evilgit
Replied by evilgit on topic Re: Dredd Trailer
I thought it was going to be Umpty Candy at first.
I guess I'm a little more optimistic than most of y'all, cause it has to be better than the first movie, right? Right???

Hopefully the violence and grit will be so over the top (as per current Hollywood standards) that I'll be able to interpret it as the satirical humour of the comics if I so choose.

More
27 Jun 2012 05:40 #129430 by trif
Replied by trif on topic Re: Dredd Trailer
The trailer looks like a SF remake of The Raid: Redemption - which is a really excellent action film but not really in the spirit of Dredd.

I like Urban as Dredd (and it helps that he's a Dredd fan himself) but the film doesn't seem to have caught the satirical tone of the comic or the ambivalent nature of Dredd. While I loathe most of the Stallone film (I think Demolition Man is actually a lot closer to the Judge Dredd comic/2000AD aesthetic) there's a sequence directed by Chris Cunningham (the Angel Gang sequence) that actually feels right.

And I hate, hate, hate the reveal at the end of the Stallone Dredd:

Warning: Spoiler!

I'm very ambivalent about the new Dredd - though I might try and catch it at the cinemas during the week it will run (if it doesn't go straight to DVD here.)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds