October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Worst movie experiences as a kid

More
06 Jul 2012 14:27 #130093 by daveroswell

repoman wrote: I associate it with the taste of pop corn (pre food Nazi comapaign against the good oil that made it taste fantastic),

My wife and I were wondering why our popcorn tasted like burnt garbage last week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2012 14:30 #130094 by Shellhead
I didn't actually have any bad movie experiences as a kid, but for many years, I was afraid to watch any R-rated horror movies because I thought that they would give me horrible nightmares. Shortly before my 14th birthday, I got intensely curious about the commercials for Alien. I bought the novelization and read it quickly, and decided that I wanted to see the movie anyway. My mom took me and several friends to see it on my birthday and I loved the movie. After that, I started watching all kinds of horror movies.

Oddly enough, most of my bad movie experiences happened in my college years or just after. I was working long hours to pay my way through school, so I often dozed off during decent movies, even Stripes. One time I came down sick with the flu while on a movie date, and spent 20 minutes puking the bathroom during the final reel. I spent the night at her house, puking into a waste basket, which definitely killed the romance.

A close friend of mine in school had a very traumatic experience while watch 101 Dalmatians as a kid. His Chinese immigrant mother was laughing at all the wrong times (generally whenever Cruella de Ville was menacing a puppy). Finally, my friend asked his mother why she was laughing, and she told him that they (puppies) taste good.

More
06 Jul 2012 15:31 #130102 by Almalik
We rented Jaws when i was about 7-ish (thanks Mom and Dad!). This was back in the day when you had to rent the VCR from the shop as well, and the picture was so crappy it was hard to make out a lot of the details. Screams came through nice and clear though. It may have been the root cause behind a few swimming/ocean related issues.

More
06 Jul 2012 15:41 #130104 by ZMan

Dair wrote: Once, I was in the theater when someone puked over the balcony onto the lower section. All the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other.

You goonie!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
06 Jul 2012 15:54 #130105 by ZMan
Not particularly bad experiences.

1) Had to take my brother to the movies and we watched Island of Dr. Moreau. He had a big bag of Doritos and before end of the movie threw it up. Theater was nearly empty so we didn't have to own up to it.

2) I was around 5 yrs old and my babysitter took me to a double feature: Asylum and Tales from the Crypt. I remembered images form these films growing up and had to rewatch them as a teen to make sure I indeed see these films - and I did.

3) Jaws: scared the beejeezus out of me. So much so when I got home I had my mom throw out a fish that was in the freezer.

4) Friends and I saw a few films in one day by sneaking into them after paying for the first flick. They wanted to see Pia Zadora in Butterfly and I refused to sneal into that - but they made me. Then after a little while, they wanted to leave but I forced them to stay and watch it.

I'm sure there are more.

Here's another: I remember a long line to get into Empire Strikes Back. We had just come out and one of the people from our showing started screaming out that Vader was Luke's father. I think that guy was lost under a sea of kicks and punches.

More
06 Jul 2012 16:01 #130108 by wadenels

Egg Shen wrote: Then he made me watch "Child's Play". I got through the movie without any emotional scars, but I owned one of those "My Buddy" dolls...holy shit I never trusted it again.

I know exactly what you mean... I decided after "Child's Play" that My Buddy was evil to the core. So I hid it in my siblings' and parents' closets, under beds, and in the back seat of the car with a Play-Doh knife for years to come until my parents finally had enough and threw it out.

More
06 Jul 2012 17:35 #130115 by Dair
Zev, I didn't think anyone would pick up on that. Maybe it wasn't as funny as I thought it was.

As for my real worst moment, it would probably be either Poltergeist or Phantasm. Both of these movies scared the shit out of me at a relatively young age. Poltergeist was the one that caused me to have a recurring nightmare of my sock monkeys dancing on my chest in bed and then attacking me. I don't know where those sock monkeys wound up, but I hope it is somewhere miserable.

More
06 Jul 2012 18:04 #130117 by ZMan
I thought it was funny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
06 Jul 2012 18:45 #130123 by quozl

ZMan wrote:

Dair wrote: Once, I was in the theater when someone puked over the balcony onto the lower section. All the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other.

You goonie!

Was that in The Goonies too? I thought it was just Stand By Me.

More
06 Jul 2012 19:16 #130125 by Gary Sax
Seeing the shitty It miniseries definitely scared me for a while when I was a kid.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds