October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars for the next generation

More
09 Oct 2012 15:23 #135723 by wice
Sorry, I'm late for the party, but here's my two cents:

I was 7 or 8 when I saw Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope (or, as it was called that time: Star Wars). I can tell you for sure that I had no idea what the hell was going on. Nope, none at all. All I knew was that it looked fucking awesome, and it had the best music I had ever heard.

Anyway. Show it (the original trilogy) to her as soon as possible, before her expectations are spoiled by modern special effects, and it stands in the way of enjoyment. The prequel trilogy can wait until she's older, especially Episode 2 and 3, those are for kids at least 10-12 years old.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2012 15:46 #135725 by OldHippy
If you watch the Pre-quel trilogy first it ruins the original trilogy. You'll know that Darth Vader is Lukes Dad and I remember watching Empire in the theatre and the arguements in the school yard after that movie came out were furious. Was Darth lying? Was he really Luke's father? It was amazing the effect it had on the children. I don't hate the pre-quels but they don't work together at all.

IF you watch the pre-quels alone you may be shocked to find out that Anikan becomes a bad guy at the end... that would be cool if we didn't already know it and IF you watch the original one first you'll be shocked to find out who Luke's father is.

They can't both work though. Sure, kids enjoy the pre-quels well enough but you have to decide which surprise is more exciting and, probably due to nostalgia, I'll side with the original series. I'll still show my son the pre-quels when the time comes but he's definitely going to experience the original series first.

I have nothing against CGI, but I think Lucas did go overboard with it and he filmed them too early. The CGI looks pretty bad in the new one or at the very least incongrous with the humans in the film. But some stuff looks dumb in the first ones too. Not the space battles though, they all look great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, wice

More
09 Oct 2012 22:58 #135736 by Josh Look

433 wrote: Machete Order is the way.

IV, V, II, III, VI. Ignore The Phantom Menace completely. Kids still get to be shocked at the Big Reveal at the end of Empire, then get some backstory before the finale.

I have IV-V-VI discs burned from the second Laserdisc release (pre-THX). The THX releases were the first (slight) video edits.

I 2nd this. I did it last time I was in the mood to watch them. Pretty much ruled.

More
10 Oct 2012 06:18 #135753 by ThirstyMan

JonJacob wrote: You'll know that Darth Vader is Lukes Dad

WTF!! SPOILER ALERT!!

WHAT!!! I never knew this. Maybe I was drunk or maybe I didn't bother watching beyond Star Wars. I heard there is some kind of incestual relationship between that blonde guy and the chick with the funny hair. Doesn't sound like kids should be watching it at all!

More
10 Oct 2012 08:55 #135760 by panzerattack
I actually think The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels. It's the only one that feels like it has any sort of soul at all to me. I reckon that's because there was far more location filming on that one than the other two. Get rid of Jar Jar Binks and it'd actually be a pretty decent film. Yeah, young Anakin is annoying but I'll take him over sulking teenage Anakin any day.

More
10 Oct 2012 09:31 #135761 by wice
I would take a badass, Han Solo-like Anakin over either of those.

More
10 Oct 2012 10:02 #135762 by tomvasel
I'm going to do what the guy from Film Nerd did with my kids. Read the articles - they'll make you see the movies in a whole new light. This stuff is great!

bitly.com/bundles/shwitz/3

Read them all. They're worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, JMcL63, Camshaft, wadenels

More
10 Oct 2012 11:21 #135765 by Matt Thrower

tomvasel wrote: I'm going to do what the guy from Film Nerd did with my kids. Read the articles - they'll make you see the movies in a whole new light. This stuff is great!

Timely, as it's my lunch break.

And you're right, they are.

More
10 Oct 2012 11:33 #135766 by wice

tomvasel wrote: I'm going to do what the guy from Film Nerd did with my kids. Read the articles - they'll make you see the movies in a whole new light. This stuff is great!

Thanks, this is truly awesome.

My favorite line, so far:
"After one of the kissing scenes, Toshi asked me if all the kissing is what made Anakin turn into Darth Vader."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Oct 2012 11:34 #135767 by jason10mm
My plan is to watch the clone wars show, then the OT. I already have so much star wars stuff I have little fear that he he wont be curious about it. I think the clone wars show does a good job of filling in the anakin backstory without spoiling his parentage of Luke and leia. The prequels are just a mess thematically and handle everything way worse than the clone wars.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds