October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Finally broke down and bought LotR blu ray...

More
10 Dec 2012 00:08 #139157 by dream spawn
I've wanted the extended edition blu ray for a while now, but couldn't justify spending the money when I already own them on DVD. But when I walked by it at Best Buy today for $39.99, I just couldn't pass it up.

Time for a movie marathon weekend I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2012 00:16 #139158 by Not Sure
While looking at movie times today, the theater near me was showing all three directors cuts in a row, starting at 10am this weekend.

That's a lot of ass-in-seat time, and one of the few cases I think I'd want to smuggle in actual food to the movies instead of just candy and such.

"Four more hours to go... can't eat another concession hot dog... fading..."

I have the Extended DVDs (courtesy of relatives), and I don't think I've ever even watched the longer RotK.

More
10 Dec 2012 01:47 #139160 by SuperflyPete
Just wait to pick up the box sets from Best Buy. Those cats have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel...I'm seeing them going Circuit City in a year or less if the original owner can't sort it out.

More
11 Dec 2012 03:00 #139248 by MattFantastic
The original Trilogy Tuesday (when they showed extended Fellowship and Two Towers then premiered RotK all in a row) was the greatest cinematic experience I've ever had, and likely ever will have.

The only reason I didn't go see em all this past weekend was that I had to go coach the kids at our regional climbing comp all day. I told them they owe it to me to win cause I gave up LotR for them. They climbed the best they have all season and we're headed to the divisional championship!
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
12 Dec 2012 13:44 #139313 by Sagrilarus
You can read the first two books in the time it takes to watch all three movies.

S.

More
12 Dec 2012 15:10 #139319 by wice

Sagrilarus wrote: You can read the first two books in the time it takes to watch all three movies.

S.

I seriously doubt it. I always give up around Tom Bombadil. No idea how anyone can get through that crap without committing suicide.

More
12 Dec 2012 15:46 #139325 by dream spawn

wice wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: You can read the first two books in the time it takes to watch all three movies.

S.

I seriously doubt it. I always give up around Tom Bombadil. No idea how anyone can get through that crap without committing suicide.

I agree with wice. I am an avid reader and can usually tear through books in no time, but I can't get through LotR. I've started it 3 different times and never made it through the first book. I've read the Hobbit 2 or 3 times, so I don't know what the problem is.

At this point, I feel like reading it would just ruin the movies for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
12 Dec 2012 16:40 #139329 by Sagrilarus
Tolkien has some of the best sentence structure you'll see. Truly a writer of literature. The story may not be to your taste but it's the kind of writing that makes you want to slow down in order to appreciate the exposition more fully.

Popcorn goes better with the films though.

S.

More
12 Dec 2012 16:45 #139330 by SuperflyPete
I agree, Sag. I've got a really nice set, and I've read them with my eldest several times now. Truly outstanding writing that captures the imagination.

If you read it with the "eyes" of a child it's a wholly different experience.

Now, what's the big deal with the "extended" stuff? I mean, is it worth it?

More
12 Dec 2012 16:56 #139333 by san il defanso
I have always considered Tolkien to be like a very rich dessert. It's wonderful and well-made, but it's too much to hork down at high speed. I have read the books several times, and they are best digested at a leisurely pace. If you are used to burning through 800-page fantasy novels, they can feel very slow indeed.

I've read a few complaints that the movies are too "popcorn" for some people, but Jackson approached them like a twelve-year-old, which is a perfectly valid way to interpret them. That's the age that I first encountered the book, and Jackson's interpretation is largely what mine would have been at that point. It does give a very warped set of expectations about the novels though. The novels are much more about a journey than about an adventure, if that makes sense.

More
12 Dec 2012 17:04 #139336 by lj1983
last couple times i've read it, i've had to skip bombadil's part.

More
12 Dec 2012 17:37 #139341 by Sagrilarus
I've enjoyed the novels far more as an adult, but that's a matter of taste I suppose. Given the material I don't think Jackson could have done much better than he did. It's very tough to project writing style into film. By necessity you capture story and character, but wholly replace the richness of prose with richness of image. Unavoidable.

S.

More
12 Dec 2012 17:50 #139344 by OldHippy
I loved the novels as a kid and hated them in my twenties. I'm now of the opinion that they were groundbreaking at the time (but not as much as people seem to think) but the prose was weak, the faux Shakespearean dialogue irritating, and the storytelling ... misguided in several places.

For me, the movies improve on the books and I can only think of a small handful of examples where that has been the case. Godfather being the most obvious one. Such an awful pulpy shit book and a great movie (2 even).

With LOTR they are a lot closer in terms of quality but I give the movie the edge for changing how often we see each set of characters and getting rid of the garbage poems and songs and overly long descriptions of mountain sides. Basically good editing. The movies do fall down a little bit here and there. The ending is too long and the stuff in Hobbiton at the end should still be there. Would have been easy to cut some epilogue and squeeze that in. Some of the fights are too Hong Kong style as well. I remember people cheering in the theater when Legolas had his epic fight scenes but they look kind of over produced and too flashy now. I was also irritated that the Dwarf had such a shit role and was mostly used as a comedic foil.

Still, they are an amazing cinematic achievement and a beauty to behold.

More
12 Dec 2012 22:25 - 12 Dec 2012 22:26 #139376 by iguanaDitty
I did Trilogy Tue twice (once in the theater, once in the home) and now I never want to see any of them again. The first one is particularly egregious - it is soooo boorringgg. And oh god the whining at the end of the third movie.

Enjoyed it at the time, of course.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2012 22:26 by iguanaDitty.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.531 seconds