October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Battlestar Galactica - finally

More
21 Dec 2012 06:53 - 21 Dec 2012 10:23 #140028 by ThirstyMan
Love that pic. Going to use that as an avatar in Baldurs Gate or something....

Contrary to the herd. I actually liked ALL of this series including the semi religious stuff at the end and I even liked the finale.

Ohh Nooo...burn him at the stake!!

Didn't see any huge plot holes that I couldn't figure out myself and I really liked the idea of a popular song being seeded in Earths genetic past. Great storyline.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2012 10:23 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flim_flam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2013 14:32 #141804 by Ska_baron
So I only have 1 episode left in season 1 of BSG.

My reaction thus far is that the concept outreaches the execution. I find myself annoyed by so many little things that I can't seem to let go. Just one example is Starbuck getting off a planet in a cylon raider. For some reason my disbelief just couldnt be suspended.

Also the erratic character development. Characters do stuff and act a certain way that only seems to railroad the plot forward. It sticks out to me like typos in a book that I'm then so aware that I'm seeing is drama portrayed for my enjoyment - not a seamless story to get lost in.

Not sure how much more I'll commit to, but probably will get into season 2 because I like the ideas they explore. It's like if I read the episodes on wikipedia, I probably would've been amazed by each one. Instead I'm left wondering why Baltar was elected VP (a stretch but okay in itself) solely because he could win and Roz is dying AND THEN because he "demands" to go on the scouting party, that's totally cool - no discussion at all because it fits the plot. Ugh.

One solid upswing though is that I'm pretty positive that this will lead me to get a copy of the game. Again, it's because I love the *idea* of the BSG universe and I think after playing some Werewolf with the family this New Years that this could be a big win. I could take care of most of the gamey upkeep, so everyone would focus on suspicion and betrayal. Anyone trading a copy?

More
18 Jan 2013 14:40 #141807 by san il defanso
I'm with Thirstyman, I didn't have much problem with the endgame of BSG, at least not enough to invalidate all of the good stuff. My big problem was that it just felt really rushed.

The religious stuff isn't my biggest issue, but I do see the complaint. It was a very humanistic show in the beginning, and got pretty mystical down the stretch. But then religion is a human thing, so whatever.

I also ascribe to the theory that a bad ending to a show I loved does not render the rest of the show terrible as well. That's gotten me through a lot of frustrating TV shows (like BSG).

More
18 Jan 2013 15:22 - 18 Jan 2013 15:22 #141815 by Black Barney
I never liked the rebooted show. I liked the original plenty.

I recently watched the Machinima Blood & Chrome BSG miniseries and REALLY liked it. i was surprised.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2013 15:22 by Black Barney.

More
18 Jan 2013 16:06 #141821 by Ska_baron
Also, I think part of my difficulty with the show is having a completist nature, but unable to see the intro miniseries. Kinda threw off my acceptance of the show, in feeling that "hey, maybe I'm just not getting something that was fleshed out in the very beginning."

Did I miss a lot?

More
18 Jan 2013 20:31 #141878 by flim_flam

ThirstyMan wrote: Contrary to the herd. I actually liked ALL of this series including the semi religious stuff at the end and I even liked the finale.

Yes, me too. There wasn't a minute of BSG I didn't like. I thought the ending was emotionally satisfying and wonderfully done. The whole embedded song idea is actually pretty creative if you ask me.

More
20 Jan 2013 04:41 #141964 by mikoyan
I finally finished watching the Black Adder series. Funny stuff.

More
20 Jan 2013 12:26 #141971 by ThirstyMan

Ska_baron wrote: Also, I think part of my difficulty with the show is having a completist nature, but unable to see the intro miniseries. Kinda threw off my acceptance of the show, in feeling that "hey, maybe I'm just not getting something that was fleshed out in the very beginning."

Did I miss a lot?

Not entirely sure what you are talking about here.

The pilot starts with the destruction of Caprica (I think). It was my understanding that any 'intro' series was added much later. In any case, I have never seen it. Unless you are talking about the TV series Caprica, which is certainly not necessary to watch BG and definitely was developed after BG had finished.

More
20 Jan 2013 13:40 #141973 by Black Barney
i tried watching Caprica just for Alessandra Torresani but it wasn't enough to get me to sit through an entire episode. So say we all?

More
20 Jan 2013 15:24 #141978 by ThirstyMan
Agreed. Not worth it at all. Better to watch the BG pilot and take it from there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds