October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars

More
25 Jan 2013 14:26 #142387 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: I think if Abrams decides to make the SW universe one infested with Rancors just cuz he likes monsters, that's not good.

But we might get rancors punching x-wings on film!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2013 14:39 - 25 Jan 2013 14:39 #142388 by Mr. White
ok, you guys got me looking around for info on this next film and I found this on the wiki:

"Media speculation also focused on the possible return of series stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams, Ewan McGregor and Samuel L. Jackson. Carrie Fisher was recorded on video stating that she would like to reprise the role of Princess Leia.[69] It was reported that Ford was open to returning to the role of Han Solo, and all three were "upbeat" to return.[70] Billy Dee Williams' character, Lando Calrissian, has been reported to be in Arndt's story treatment, and Williams has stated that he would be interested in reprising the role for the film.[71][not in citation given] Ewan McGregor, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the prequel trilogy, said that he was open to the possibility of playing the character in Episode VII.[72] Samuel L. Jackson, who played Mace Windu in the prequels, also expressed his excitement and desire to return to the franchise.[73]"

I guess VII takes place after Return (duh) with actors possibly returning as older versions of characters, but if they're including McGregor and Jackson in them (as ghost I suppose)...it'll all seem a bit too much. Do we need _every_ character always involved? I wasn't a fan of chewie in the prequels either.

I am down for more Lando though. :)
The only character to argue with both vader and fett and survive.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 14:39 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
25 Jan 2013 14:46 #142389 by san il defanso
Geez, you guys are a bunch of grouchy nerds today. I think a lot of people (not necessarily me) feel that the best Star Wars movie in the last 15 years was the Star Trek reboot, which felt a lot more like space opera than the franchise ever has before.

Abrams is a good choice. Super 8 and Cloverfield both have his fingerprints all over them, and those were well-liked enough. And as I said, the Star Trek reboot was basically Star Trek: Star Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
25 Jan 2013 14:48 #142390 by madwookiee
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
25 Jan 2013 14:53 #142391 by wadenels

Black Barney wrote: I actually don't think this is necessarily a good choice for Star Wars (choosing Abrams) and here's why:

I don't think any of us necessarily want a reboot of Star Wars. I think we want a continuance. I want the same universe, the same style, just with a better script, that's all. Abhams is going to radically change the look and feel of the SW universe (something that Lucas has done right) and I think it's going to be weird.

Star Trek was okay to reboot because those series of movies had run their course and each time directed by someone new so there was nothing really to continue in terms of brand other than names on a piece of paper. That was a refresher. I think if Abrams decides to make the SW universe one infested with Rancors just cuz he likes monsters, that's not good.

Episode VI came out in 1983. A reboot (if that's what it is) is just as good as and probably better an option than trying to do a proper continuance of a movie that came out 30 years ago.

The best part is that I don't see any mention of Portman or Christensen. They brought nothing to the prequels.

Also, I heard that the plotline includes a reimagined Death Star (tentatively called the Death Nova) that can only be stopped by having two Jedi and one other dude paradrop from a rebel ship in space which totally works because the Death Nova is so big it creates a measurable gravitational force.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Jan 2013 14:58 #142392 by quozl

Sagrilarus wrote: And yet Lucas has said numerous times that one of his sources of inspiration were the cheap movie serials like Flash Gordon that used to run in movie theaters on weekends for kids. So in a way an endless stream of summer films in the Star Wars universe would come full circle.

With the exception of one film the series has been pretty pulpy from day one.

S.

Which one? They all seem pulpy to me.

More
25 Jan 2013 15:21 #142393 by SuperflyPete

San Il Defanso wrote: Geez, you guys are a bunch of grouchy nerds today. I think a lot of people (not necessarily me) feel that the best Star Wars movie in the last 15 years was the Star Trek reboot, which felt a lot more like space opera than the franchise ever has before.

Abrams is a good choice. Super 8 and Cloverfield both have his fingerprints all over them, and those were well-liked enough. And as I said, the Star Trek reboot was basically Star Trek: Star Wars.

THIS.

Abrams is the best of our generation, hands down, IMO, for non-hobbit stuff. He's this generation's Speilburg. He'll probably make films that are 10x better than the SW Prequels.

I'm super jazzed. He made the best Star Trek movie behind Wrath of Khan, easily. As a fan of Star Trek and Star Wars, the only thing that concerns me is that the "feel" will be blended if he's not very careful to be divergent in the directing and oversight of the story. If Star Trek and Wars become too similar it will mean the end of both.

More
25 Jan 2013 15:59 #142395 by Juniper
VOTE: keep the original movie and the Holiday Special, reboot Empire and everything else.

More
25 Jan 2013 16:56 - 25 Jan 2013 16:57 #142397 by Gary Sax
Got no real problem with this. Will it be popcorn blockbuster lens flare extravaganza? Yes. But I'm not really seeing how the sequels are supposed to be---go back to all practical effects? Be shot like a cheesyish B movie like the first one? Of course that isn't going to happen, and it's very probable these won't be as good as the first 3. Who gives a shit? I definitely think they'll be way better than the prequels.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 16:57 by Gary Sax.

More
25 Jan 2013 17:11 #142404 by Schweig!

Ken B. wrote: All I can say is--

FUCK YES

The return of Star Wars to the cinema will be the best return since Ken B's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds