October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars

More
25 Jan 2013 17:12 - 25 Jan 2013 17:13 #142405 by OldHippy
Abrams is an ok choice. I'm willing to give it a chance. His Star Trek movie sucked dogs balls, shouldn't have been called Star Trek and was an action movie not a science fiction. I also really hated that he hired impersonators instead of actors but still, I liked Super 8 well enough (Cloverfield not so much... in fact less than Star Trek).

I kind of wish he'd just make his own IP but I'm curious to see what he does none the less. He clearly has talent I just think he's been involved with the wrong projects so far.

I am definitely not against there being more Star Wars movies, the world has grown to be more than the sum of it's parts at this point. The original trilogy is not the be all and end all. I love the Gendy Tarkovsky animated flick and the new TV series is ok too, for a kids show anyway. A new series of movies sounds like a fun idea. I think Whedon would have been a better choice but I don't really think it matters.

It's mostly in the script and my problems with Star Trek are not the directing in and of itself. It's the plot and ... ah hell, it's partly direction now that I think about it but I doubt JJ will want to repeat himself thematically so I imagine he'll try something totally different with SW and look forward to seeing that. Bring it on.

Hope for the best and expect the worst. I don't know who said that first but I got it from Operation Condor staring Jackie Chan.. if I can quote that movie, I can certainly sit through another Star Wars flick.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 17:13 by OldHippy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2013 17:21 #142406 by metalface13
These movies were going to happen no matter what, so it's a good thing somebody like JJ Abrams on board. Could you imagine if the rumors of Scott Snyder directing were true? It would be a shot for shot remake of the originals but with more slow motion and CGI blood splattering everywhere. Abrams' Star Trek and Super 8 were both great. And I've never been a Star Trek fan before.

More
25 Jan 2013 17:22 #142407 by SuperflyPete
I really liked the Star Trek flick. I'd argue that only TOS was sci fi, somhe's not far off the mark from all of the other non- TNG films. I mean, Star Trek TMP was truly sci-fi but it was so dreadully unwatchable due to them trying to do over-long shots of Enterprise to compete with 2001: A Space Odyssey. Khan was in the same vein as Abrams' movie, although the emotional depth was there where it was light, if at all, in the Abrams reboot.

I think he'll do a fine job because our generation grew up watching it where Lucas was looking to change the original and 'lighten it" which was an epic fail. Te new films will most arruedly be darker than Lucas "final product".

I look forward to more Darths, maybe Admiral Thrawn. Oh yes.

More
25 Jan 2013 19:24 - 25 Jan 2013 19:25 #142417 by mikecl
I liked the Star Trek reboot and think JJ's a good choice for this too. Here's a little tongue-in-cheek analysis from Popwatch
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 19:25 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B.

More
25 Jan 2013 19:27 #142418 by Schweig!
The fun thing about Star Wars sequels at this point in time is that all the original actors could be re-cast and except for Ford, possibly, wouldn't demand high salaries.

More
25 Jan 2013 22:55 #142433 by Michael Barnes
I don't know man, I hear the dude that played Nien Nunb wants a seven figure salary...

Anyway, I think this is great news. I'm not a huge Abrams fan, but I adored his Trek picture and I thought it was EXACTLY the kind of movie that franchise needed for a modern, younger audience. I love that he had the balls to put a Beastie Boys song in there instead of having Data singing showtunes or some terrible old folks shit like that. I loved the design, I loved that it was very much a refresh but also very respectful of (most) of the source material.

I think this is going to be good, I hope it is. Yep, it's more Star Wars. More product. But if you've ever thought that "art" came before "commerce" in Star Wars...you're confused. Star Wars was mainstream, mass market product from day one. Why do you think Lucas cut all of those lucrative toy deals _up front_? Why do you think the actors wrote in their contracts that they'd get a cut of the toy licensing? Smart business.

The really interesting thing is going to be how "retro" it is...this picture HAS to be a crowd-pleaser to "forgive" the prequels. There's a lot riding on this one, and it's really kind of a make-or-break point for the future of Star Wars. If it sucks, audience goodwill is going to evaporate. If it's a crowd-pleaser that touches all of the nostalgia buttons and gives people what they want, then it's going to be a smash. The thing is, with favorite characters returning and carrying on from Jedi, there's so much opportunity to get people back into the series. I'd hate to be Abrams, and I bet it's why he turned it down at first...the pressure must be tremendous.

Seems like I have to defend Star Trek: TMP once again...what's really lost these days about that movie is that it was the first time Trek was seen on a big screen, and for many people it was literally the first time they had seen the Enterprise on ANY screen in many years. Wise's intention was to go EPIC and HUGE to really sell that scene as an emotional revelation for both the characters and the audience, showing the new design that was far, far bigger than that little model on the show. It's also forgotten that the movie in general was a very old-fashioned EPIC and HUGE movie- the kind they don't really make anymore. Wise is definitely from the old school, and it shows in that film grandly.

Good gravy, Trek and Star Wars together, coming from one man...Abrams must be like the Antichrist or something. Either that or R'lyeh is going to pop up sometime soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, wadenels

More
25 Jan 2013 23:03 #142436 by Black Barney
Good post, Mike.

Hey I've only skimmed this thread, has anyone made the usual staple post that people talking about expectations are whiners and complain about anything and everything as if SW fans should happily swallow whatever gets shoved down their throats and just be thankful it's not sand. hmmmm? Anyone make a post like that? There seems to be one (at least) in every thread we ever talk about something coming up.

More
25 Jan 2013 23:15 #142437 by OldHippy

Black Barney wrote: Good post, Mike.

Hey I've only skimmed this thread, has anyone made the usual staple post that people talking about expectations are whiners and complain about anything and everything as if SW fans should happily swallow whatever gets shoved down their throats and just be thankful it's not sand. hmmmm? Anyone make a post like that? There seems to be one (at least) in every thread we ever talk about something coming up.

Both have been made, as in what you are talking about (sort of anyways) and the opposite which is something like: "Star Wars died after the first trilogy just leave well enough alone already." which seem to be the two major opinions.

Personally I like the first Trek movie the best. It feels like Star Trek, has a science fiction conceit, and doesn't need to shove action in my face every 30 minutes in case I get too bored. It's a slow, ponderous, epic kind of film and I wish they'd make more like that for the franchise. Since Deep Space Nine Trek has been more of a Soap Opera for men and the movies have been mediocre or action films. ST should be more like Moon and less like District 9. TNG was a science fiction show most of the time and so I cut it some slack. OS is still the best though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Jan 2013 03:15 #142452 by iguanaDitty

JonJacob wrote: Personally I like the first Trek movie the best.

I'm a little confused - are you saying some other movie than KHAAAAN is the best Trek movie? That's crazy talk, man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
26 Jan 2013 06:52 #142462 by ThirstyMan
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds