October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars Spin-offs...wha?

More
07 Feb 2013 14:00 - 07 Feb 2013 14:03 #143491 by Sagrilarus
"Obi-Wan Kenobi, I wonder if he means old Wayne Henderson?" It just doesn't have the same panache.

It also makes no sense, so the story can't progress. The character needed to be able to connect the dots. The similar name is about story-telling, not reality or even fictional reality (if such a term can exist).

One of the things I hate about fiction is an author's burning need to have everyone inter-related, limiting their stories to seven or eight characters and pounding on plot points over and over. They don't give their readers enough credit.

S.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 14:03 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2013 14:04 #143492 by OldHippy

Sagrilarus wrote: "Obi-Wan Kenobi, I wonder if he means old Wayne Henderson?" It just doesn't have the same panache.

It also makes no sense, so the story can't progress. The character needed to be able to connect the dots. The similar name is about story-telling, not reality or even fictional reality (if such a term can exist).

One of the things I hate about fiction is an author's burning need to have everyone inter-related, limiting their stories to seven or eight characters. They don't give their readers enough credit.

S.

That's a good point.

But say he didn't connect the dots. They could still have almost the exact same movie. Obi Wan rescues him from some sand people (maybe he was on his way to get some... uh... power converters), sees the droids. R2 knows who the message is for and shows him the message. No big deal. Luke isn't exactly going to become famous for his detective skills anyway.

Like I said... it's more how he said it anyway.

More
07 Feb 2013 14:35 - 07 Feb 2013 14:35 #143498 by ThirstyMan

repoman wrote: ...women wanted him and men wanted to be him.

Yes, I know that feeling well, its part of what makes me so humble.....
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 14:35 by ThirstyMan.

More
07 Feb 2013 15:01 #143502 by repoman
Quite right, Andy. Quite right.

As far as the silly debate over Ben/Obi-Wan Kenobi.

You can find plot holes in any movie if you look hard enough.

More
07 Feb 2013 15:46 #143509 by SuperflyPete

Can't wait for Friday so I can unleash my great vengeance and furious anger. My question isn't why are they doing it, my question is why the fuck does anyone care that they're doing it. Are your nostalgic masturbational fantasies about Slave Leia really going to be affected by my enjoyment of a Boba Fett movie?

More
07 Feb 2013 15:47 #143510 by Egg Shen
F this noise! Where is the feature length film depicting the trials and tribulations of Salacious Crumb?
The following user(s) said Thank You: flim_flam

More
07 Feb 2013 15:50 #143511 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Star Wars Spin-offs...wha?

repoman wrote:

wice wrote: Anyway, I would be perfectly happy with a Han Solo spin-off, but I just can't see how anyone could play him after Harrison Ford. I mean, he's obviously not the best actor in the world, to say the least, but his face, his voice, and his mannerism (like that trademarked smirk) is what defines the character.

Yeah, I have a man-crush on the young Harrison Ford. If that makes me gay, so be it.

Think of it in the terms of James Bond. People had a hard time seeing anybody play that role after Sean Connery but many have to varying degrees of success.

And a young Han Solo/Indiana Jones...women wanted him and men wanted to be him.

Oh, I'm pretty sure many/most people will be perfectly fine with someone else playing Han Solo, I'm just not sure I will.

The James Bond parallel doesn't really work for me, when I first saw a Bond movie (with Roger Moore), they were already at the fourth Bond (if you count George Lazenby). And seeing that film wasn't really an important moment in my life, unlike Star Wars.

More
07 Feb 2013 15:58 #143513 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Star Wars Spin-offs...wha?

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Can't wait for Friday so I can unleash my great vengeance and furious anger. My question isn't why are they doing it, my question is why the fuck does anyone care that they're doing it. Are your nostalgic masturbational fantasies about Slave Leia really going to be affected by my enjoyment of a Boba Fett movie?

From now on, my private sessions with my collection of Slave Leia pictures will be forever tainted by the image of you masturbating to Boba Fett. Thanks a lot, asshole.

More
07 Feb 2013 16:24 #143514 by metalface13
Maybe Kenobi is a really common last name? Like "Johnson" or "Brown"? If you want to point fingers at lack of detective skills, Vader never thought to go back to Tattooine and ask his brother-in-law if he'd seen his baby?

Boba Fett was cool because we didn't know anything about him. He was just this menacing dude in a cool helmet that Vader instructed not to use disintegration rays on. If the movie is Boba Fett just being a badass and bringing in bounties, I'm cool with that. But I don't need to see him take his helmet off, have romantic relationships or be funny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, wice

More
07 Feb 2013 17:19 - 07 Feb 2013 17:22 #143531 by bfkiller
The prequels were essentially a spin-off. Didn't turn out well at all. I'd much rather think of Boba Fett as a total mystery who fell in a monster hole, but now I'm saddled with his added background as a clone who grew up on Clone Planet.

I'd much rather Disney just start from scratch within the same universe. The KOTOR games proved that Star Wars doesn't need to resurrect the same old characters to still be compelling. I'd be happiest if the new movies took place hundreds of years after Jedi, and only had light references at most to the existing characters.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 17:22 by bfkiller.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds