October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2701 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Guardians of the Galaxy trailer

More
20 Feb 2014 13:57 #172223 by Joebot
You guys watch this thing yet?

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It looks DIFFERENT, that's for sure. I like the Marvel movies a lot, but I think they were running the risk of getting a little same-y. This is a huge departure, and I think that's cool. I don't know anything about the Guardians of the Galaxy, and this trailer has me excited to see the movie. So, good job, Marvel-trailer-makers!

This whole movie is just a big middle-finger to DC, right? Like, "Hey, DC, we noticed you can't make a decent movie with your flagship character Superman. Huh. We're making a movie about a space-raccoon and a tree. Just sayin'."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2014 14:21 #172226 by Michael Barnes
Rocket Raccoon looks freaking great! That bit where he's riding on Groot rules.

The more comic tone could go either way...I like the irreverence of it (the jokes about Star Lord and so forth) but it might throw off folks expecting this to be a more serious space opera-type thing.

But I also think it was smart to go funny with it...overall, I'm in.

More
20 Feb 2014 14:42 #172227 by Gregarius
I was completely indifferent to this film before I saw the trailer, now I can't wait! Something about the humor and the effects just totally worked for me. I don't know anything about the characters, but I don't care. This looks like a lot of fun.

More
20 Feb 2014 14:58 #172228 by Egg Shen
I've been excited for this since it was announced. Not because I'm a big fan or anything, but because it means Marvel is starting to get into their Phase 2 or Phase 3 weirdo shit which I'm far more interested in. Bring on Doctor Strange, Ant Man and the lesser known stuff.

I hope Guardians is huge. It's success means that Marvel will take more big budget risks. If this movie gets any weak buzz it could fizzle out quick. So here's to hoping it rocks.

More
20 Feb 2014 15:16 #172229 by Space Ghost
Now I can sit back and wait for the Moon Knight blockbuster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb, Gary Sax

More
20 Feb 2014 15:17 #172230 by Shellhead
Which one is Charlie-27?

Just kidding. I got over the Guardians of the Galaxy thanks to the horrid artwork of the '90s incarnation. I've heard good things about the modern version of the team, and I'm already familiar with all the characters, even Groot (courtesy of Hulk Annual #5). But I haven't been liking the way the modern Marvel cosmic books have been trampling all over past characterizations and continuity, so I haven't been reading Guardians of the Galaxy. Besides, they already let Bendis crap all over the characterizations even worse.

Ignoring all that stuff and just judging the trailer as a movie trailer, this movie might be lucky enough to achieve cult classic status, but otherwise looks weak. Or at least significantly below par compared to other recent Marvel movies.

More
20 Feb 2014 16:17 #172231 by Gregarius

Shellhead wrote: Ignoring all that stuff and just judging the trailer as a movie trailer, this movie might be lucky enough to achieve cult classic status, but otherwise looks weak. Or at least significantly below par compared to other recent Marvel movies.

Whaaaat? You're crazy!
This looks like Indiana Jones in Space! Bad Ass Galaxy Quest! Buckaroo Banzai with a Budget!

Sub par?! Pfbfbfbft!

More
20 Feb 2014 16:22 #172232 by jeb
Why aren't we talking about The Collector?
Attachments:

More
20 Feb 2014 16:43 #172233 by hotseatgames
I know nothing about the comic, but that movie looks fun. And Benicio Del Toro is great.

More
20 Feb 2014 16:47 #172234 by Michael Barnes
I think Marvel is looking at bigger risks. Because you know, really, Iron Man was a big risk. Iron Man wasn't really a household name like Spider-Man or even Captain America, to some extent. But I think they've learned that if they do a great adaptation and get the right people onboard...the movies sell themselves. Especially now that Marvel is a HUGE film brand that is likely making more year-over-year profit than the comic books are.

Ant-Man is coming, they're in prepro on Dr. Strange (PLEASE get Depp in there, that would rule), and Disney is doing Big Hero 6 of all things (NEVER thought I'd see that team again). It makes sense for them to extend the brand as much as possible with the big tentpole Avengers-related pictures and Spider-Man alternating with the smaller, riskier stuff that COULD blow up. GotG could be HUGE. If it's handled right, and if audiences get on board with it despite the lack of familiarity with the main characters.

Remember, Joe Popcorn didn't have a clue who Hawkeye or Black Widow were going into Avengers. Now they're established. Probably couldn't carry a film on their own, but they're part of the story and folks recognize that. If this film ties into Avengers 2 in a meaningful way, there's a $500 million box office minimum right there.

And then there's Fox desparately trying to do SOMETHING with the Fantastic Four...that was such a big mistake splitting the rights between studios.

More
20 Feb 2014 19:03 #172239 by Josh Look
I think this could be pretty terrible, or this could be something like The Fifth Element (which I initially thought was terrible but slowly realized I loved it). Certainly hoping for the later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Feb 2014 19:45 #172240 by Sagrilarus

Gregarius wrote: Buckaroo Banzai with a Budget!

Wha whoa what? I'm in.

S.

More
20 Feb 2014 21:09 #172241 by ChristopherMD
Never read these comics so know nothing about the characters, but I'm in for anything that's part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe at this point.

More
21 Feb 2014 05:24 #172242 by wice

Michael Barnes wrote: Remember, Joe Popcorn didn't have a clue who Hawkeye or Black Widow were going into Avengers.

I saw the Avengers movie and still have no idea who Hawkeye and Black Widow are, besides the fact that for whatever reason, in case of an invasion of giant fucking flying robots, a dude with a bow and a chick with a 12-round pistol is a must have on your team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Feb 2014 06:43 #172243 by Josh Look
Man, bows are all the rage these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds