October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Guardians of the Galaxy trailer

More
20 Feb 2014 19:03 #172239 by Josh Look
I think this could be pretty terrible, or this could be something like The Fifth Element (which I initially thought was terrible but slowly realized I loved it). Certainly hoping for the later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2014 19:45 #172240 by Sagrilarus

Gregarius wrote: Buckaroo Banzai with a Budget!

Wha whoa what? I'm in.

S.

More
20 Feb 2014 21:09 #172241 by ChristopherMD
Never read these comics so know nothing about the characters, but I'm in for anything that's part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe at this point.

More
21 Feb 2014 05:24 #172242 by wice

Michael Barnes wrote: Remember, Joe Popcorn didn't have a clue who Hawkeye or Black Widow were going into Avengers.

I saw the Avengers movie and still have no idea who Hawkeye and Black Widow are, besides the fact that for whatever reason, in case of an invasion of giant fucking flying robots, a dude with a bow and a chick with a 12-round pistol is a must have on your team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Feb 2014 06:43 #172243 by Josh Look
Man, bows are all the rage these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 Feb 2014 09:25 #172246 by Joebot

Michael Barnes wrote:
And then there's Fox desparately trying to do SOMETHING with the Fantastic Four...that was such a big mistake splitting the rights between studios.

They just announced the new Fantastic Four cast yesterday. It's got Wallace from "The Wire" in it.

Didn't Marvel sell off all those properties to all those movie studios back when they were broke? Kinda hard to believe now that Marvel owns the pop-culture universe.

If anything, I feel like the Guardians trailer calls to mind the original Star Wars movie. It's got the Han Solo-esque rogue character. It's got weird aliens and spaceship battles. But more than that, it's the overall aesthetic. It has that "lived-in" look Star Wars pulled off so well. Even the logo typeface (plus the music) is giving it a retro 70's sci-fi vibe. I like it. Maybe this movie will out-Star-Wars the actual Star Wars Episode 7.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
21 Feb 2014 12:07 - 21 Feb 2014 18:43 #172259 by jeb
I doubt it will surpass/supplant STAR WARS to any degree. Marvel movies still insist on explaining everything, especially in the "first" movie of some property. There will be some drawn out explanation of who everyone is and what MacGuffin they chase, and it will be very exposition-y and slow the pace to a crawl. You can compliment them for digging around in the closet for small-time characters, but their storytelling isn't brave at all.

STAR WARS was great because they just tossed you in there and let you figure it out. Yeah, they had some handwavy shit about the Force, but it was mostly: look at this cool alien and Chewie doesn't speak English? and sword fights and ... The "origin" was handled famously in a two-minute crawl. It was nuts. Same goes for BUCKAROO BANZAI--it was written and directed like the 4th movie in a long franchise.

tl,dr: Fuck origin stories, they are boring.

Mind you, I hope this rocks, but I am expecting more of the same.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2014 18:43 by jeb. Reason: clarity and outrageous typos. OUTRAGEOUS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, SaMoKo, the_jake_1973

More
21 Feb 2014 17:33 #172261 by Brewmiester

jeb wrote: ... Same goes for BUCAROO BANZAI--it was written and directed like the 4th movie in a long franchise...

I'm still bummed they haven't made Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League yet :(

I had zero interest in GotG but this new trailer had it's intended effect, I'm reading some of the comics and am looking forward to the movie.

More
21 Feb 2014 18:28 #172264 by Black Barney
I was all ready to say this is for dumb people but I watched the trailer and I was smiling or laughing a bunch. Who's the guy playing Starlord? That guy is great. I like the raccoon spitting, lol.

Seems to appear to my humour as well. Try watching it without sound just for the part in the beginning where he intentionally drops the sphere. His facial performance is fantastic, I kept laughing every time.

Look forward to it. The only part that worried me is when the guy behind Dr. Steve Brule said, "what a bunch of a-holes", that was pretty pedestrian and I don't want to sit through another Men in Tights.

More
21 Feb 2014 18:50 #172266 by jeb

Black Barney wrote: I was all ready to say this is for dumb people but I watched the trailer and I was smiling or laughing a bunch. Who's the guy playing Starlord? That guy is great. I like the raccoon spitting, lol.

Chris Pratt. He's great. Plays a loveable lummox on PARKS AND RECREATION which has a good following here. He's married to Anna Faris.

Black Barney wrote: The only part that worried me is when the guy behind Dr. Steve Brule said, "what a bunch of a-holes", that was pretty pedestrian and I don't want to sit through another Men in Tights.

Peter Serafinowicz, voice actor, generic comedian. I liked the a-hole line, as it grounds the movie in a hint of grimy realism without getting goofy about it. I like that the Nova Corps isn't just robot guys from the fuuuutuuuuure who speak in zen koans. I want it more like FIREFLY and ROBOCOP than DUNE or THX-1138.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.484 seconds