October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

TURИ

More
15 Apr 2014 14:04 #175908 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: Turn

repoman wrote: The use of the word may not technically but anachronistic but it sure the hell is unusual if not singular. I would challenge you to find any single use of the word in reference to the Revolution in anything other than a very academic military text if even then.

The modern connotation elicited by that word is directly tied to the fighting in the Middle East.

I can say that throughout undergrad and graduate studies, I saw it used with regularity, especially in primary documents.

Insurgent is a pretty common term far outside of the Middle East and people fighting there.

But I'm also a pinko traitor who doesn't believe in absolute morality, so I also think that how individuals and governments are classified is 100% relative. So who knows.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2014 14:50 #175914 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Turn
Language changes all of the time in any case. The English language is not a static language where the meaning of words remains the same for all time. Just look at gay and queer, words co opted by a social liberation movement that now, in general, mean something quite different from their original meanings.

Language is a living evolving structure, often socially defined. Traitor, insurgent, freedom fighter all have meanings dependent on the context. Words are never in isolation of context.

Well that's my take on the topic as an anarchic syndicalist.

More
15 Apr 2014 15:29 #175919 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Turn
Frankly, "insurgent" sounds like one of those meaning-neutral words that newscasters try to use to avoid putting moral judgment into their coverage. Recently Illegal Immigrants became Undocumented Immigrants. In my opinion the more a phrase is used the less independent meaning it carries, but I think Insurgent isn't terribly damning in any particular direction.

S.

More
15 Apr 2014 15:57 #175922 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Re: Turn
SuperflyTNT wrote:

You lost me. AR-15's in the American Revolutionary War?

I'm betting that Sag's talking about Sleepy Hollow. The Headless Horseman is running around with an AR-15, waving a sword around, and short one head. I liked the show, though. It ain't True Detective, but I liked it.

More
16 Apr 2014 05:25 - 16 Apr 2014 05:35 #175956 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Turn

Sagrilarus wrote:

Schweig! wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: What shall we call those American red coats?

Patriots.

Shut up, Hessian.

If the royalists had won, then today, they would be the patriots, rebels would be terrorists, and Hessians would not have a bad reputation.

Wait no, the French actually did help you guys in your little revolution and you absolutely hate the French today for whatever reason. I'd rather be a Hessian then.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 05:35 by Schweig!.

More
16 Apr 2014 08:49 #175960 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Turn
Mexico helped us more than the French in many ways, and yet we treat Mexicans like second-class citizens in many localities, and their entry into our "meliting pot of freedom" is looked upon with disgust and disdain.

More
16 Apr 2014 09:50 - 16 Apr 2014 09:51 #175967 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Turn

SuperflyTNT wrote: Mexico helped us more than the French in many ways, and yet we treat Mexicans like second-class citizens in many localities, and their entry into our "meliting pot of freedom" is looked upon with disgust and disdain.

They would pour so many spices into that pot that no American could eat from it any more!

Joking aside, Mexico was part of Spain back then and Spain helped the revolution on about the same level as France.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 09:51 by Schweig!.

More
16 Apr 2014 09:53 #175968 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Turn
Yep.

More
16 Apr 2014 16:40 - 16 Apr 2014 16:41 #175994 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Turn
The French offered direct expertise in the form of seasoned officers. The Compte du Rochambeau took over the American army to bust Yorktown. He and Washington rode through Annapolis about three mile from here, on what's now called General's Highway. That help plus their Naval assistance was huge. Not completely out the the goodness of their heart mind you, but huge.

The Dutch offered money and still own a major chunk of U.S. bonds from rolloing over that investment.

The Hessians have a good reputation here as fine combatants who got paid by the other side. They captured Charleston when British troops couldn't. Again, they brought expertise.

S.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 16:41 by Sagrilarus.

More
16 Apr 2014 18:09 #175996 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Turn
I was always under the impression that Hessians were despised as especially cruel, course, and money grubbing (being mercenaries). I could be wrong. Been a long time since I read a history of the Revolution but that's what I remember.

Anyway, saw the second episode and I liked it better than the first. The guy playing the Ranger Major Roberts (?) is doing a fine job. I like villains that aren't complete dupes and that have a believable motivation. And are menacing...and he is menacing.

I also like how the captured British dude was really strong during the interrogation. Not giving up and mocking his captors. Good stuff.

OH! And notice how the "N" in Turn is written in the Cyrillic style....

Coincidence?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds