October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

TURИ

More
16 Apr 2014 18:39 - 16 Apr 2014 18:44 #175998 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Turn

repoman wrote: I was always under the impression that Hessians were despised as especially cruel, course, and money grubbing (being mercenaries). I could be wrong.

They were not mercenaries in the strictest sense. Hesse, and the other territories where the "Hessians" came from, were still under feudal rule at the time of the American revolution, so Hessian soldiers were impressed into military service by their lords, who then "rented" them to Great Britain.

Sagrilarus wrote: The Hessians have a good reputation here as fine combatants who got paid by the other side. They captured Charleston when British troops couldn't. Again, they brought expertise.

They were primarily well drilled, which was most important in linear warfare. It was the Prussian officer von Steuben, who drilled the Continental Army at Valley Forge, turning it into a formidable army that would win many victories under Washington.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 18:44 by Schweig!.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2014 19:12 #175999 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Turn
On the contrary, the Hessians were brought in because they knew how to fight in broken terrain. I think they were well trained and disciplined, but so were the British.

Note that George III was of German descent and Protestant, and that Britain had a close alliance with German states before the Declaration. Kind of an early NATO. It appeared as a betrayal to American colonists that the British brought in foreigners to suppress them, which is a pretty ballsy claim after calling George a tyrant and telling him to piss off.

S.

More
16 Apr 2014 19:17 #176000 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Turn
I've only seen half of the second episode so far and it's getting a B+ right now. I'll keep watching but I want to see a little more happen with the characters. Still early.

S.

More
16 Apr 2014 23:01 #176010 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Turn

repoman wrote: OH! And notice how the "N" in Turn is written in the Cyrillic style....

Coincidence?

Unfortunately, in Cyrillic, that is not an 'N' it is, in fact, an "i", making the name of the show TURI...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
17 Apr 2014 09:24 #176018 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Turn

repoman wrote: I also like how the captured British dude was really strong during the interrogation. Not giving up and mocking his captors. Good stuff.

OH! And notice how the "N" in Turn is written in the Cyrillic style....

Coincidence?

It's clearly communist propaganda intended to undermine American patriotism.

Communists really hate American patriots. They foiled the first invasion attempt of America as presented in the documentary Red Dawn.

More
17 Apr 2014 09:30 #176019 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: Turn
Second episode was decent. The British Ranger guy reminds me of a toned down, basic cable version of Al Swearangen. Like him and can't wait to see him die at some point.

Still not too keen on the good guys. I do like the main characters contact, the bearded guy.

More
17 Apr 2014 11:51 #176025 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Turn

GENERAL FUCKING HOWE wrote: "You are much deceived, if you suppose there are not many loyal and peaceable subjects in that country. I may safely assert that the insurgents are very few in comparison to the whole people... With respect to the few, who I am told desire to separate themselves from the mother country, I trust, when they find they are not supported in their frantic ideas by the more moderate which I have described, they will fear of punishment and subside to the laws."

-- source

The irony is not lost on me that General Howe actually did want to take my freedoms.

More
17 Apr 2014 12:12 #176028 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Turn
Jeb,

Can you please blather in a more timely fashion?

We've moved on from the word "insurgents" to the fact that the N is reversed in a clear attempt to glorify the old Soviet Union.

Damn dude, keep up.

More
17 Apr 2014 12:22 #176030 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Turn
It was Pesach--I was celebrating my freedoms. Ancient ones.

More
17 Apr 2014 14:11 #176041 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re: Turn
So the cyrillic N is symbolism for the turning of coats?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds