October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Wizard of Oz Toys?

More
06 Apr 2014 11:44 - 06 Apr 2014 12:36 #175168 by OldHippy
Wizard of Oz Toys? was created by OldHippy
My Son is obsessed with the Wizard of Oz (which I'm pretty sure is the best fantasy movie of all time). Just completely fascinated. He's the Scarecrow and I'm the Tin Man. Mom is Dorothy, Uncle Chris is the Cowardly Lion and any woman who comes over will find out if she's seen as Glinda or the Wicked Witch of the West.

It's getting out of control. When tempted to swear I say "Jiminy Cricket" instead. Actually, I've done that for years.

Well, I like this obsession and we have a lot of fun with it. Either playing dress up, play-doh, acting out the stories of the whole crew and re-living their adventures. But the time has come where I'd like to get him a toy. Action figures or something. Unfortunately Wizard of Oz toys are not readily available where I live and the toy stores got nothing. E-Bay/Craig's List has shown that there is a shit ton of stuff out there if you're willing to pay (and some of it isn't even that pricey).

But before we ordered anything I told my wife... let me check with the boys on F:AT because, you know...

Anyone have an opinion on Wizard of Oz toys? Anyone have some to sell/trade? Who knows what's worth tracking down for his age group in the way of toys, games etc...

"Are you saying my apples aren't what the ought to be?"
Last edit: 06 Apr 2014 12:36 by OldHippy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2014 13:10 #175177 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Wizard of Oz Toys?
The clear solution:

It's only $8,000 and for the record it's one of the best pinball tables I've ever played.

If you love your kid, can you afford not to get him this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, bfkiller, OldHippy, engineer Al, Gregarius

More
06 Apr 2014 15:59 #175190 by SebastianBludd
My mother-in-law collects Wizard of Oz memorabilia so I have a little experience looking for Oz stuff at flea markets and whatnot.

The Mego figs look the best, but they're the most expensive. You might be able to get them for a decent price if they're loose. Same for the 50th anniv. figs that they released in 1988; the loose ones look like they're even cheaper than the Mego, but I have no first-hand experience with either the anniversary or Mego figs regarding durability, articulation, etc.

The cheapest line with the largest variety of figures (Tin Man, Lion, Scarecrow, all 3 witches, multiple munchkins, soldier, and flying monkey) are the Madame Alexanders (which is what my mother-in-law collects). The glaring downside is that the clothes are the only thing that is movie accurate; they're Madame Alexander dolls first and Oz figures second.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
06 Apr 2014 20:00 #175203 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Re: Wizard of Oz Toys?
I can't believe someone beat me to posting the Pinball machine...

I was at the Michigan Pinball Expo today and played that a whole bunch (low scoring is weird), I agree with Repo.

More
06 Apr 2014 22:44 #175213 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Wizard of Oz Toys?
The Spawn fell in love with Wizard of Oz when she was your son's age. Skip the toys. They are totally unnecessary and will probably just be ignored. We have a set of Oz dolls that sat on her shelf for years looking pretty but never played with, however we went through several baskets, innumerable pairs of red shoes, and buckets of yellow sidewalk chalk. Dressing up, reliving the adventures, finding Oz... that's where it's at. The Spawn found the yellow brick road in every hiking trail, a field of poppies in every clearing and the witch's castle in every rocky hillside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Space Ghost, OldHippy, Saul Goodman

More
07 Apr 2014 10:01 #175257 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Wizard of Oz Toys?
Thanks for that Uba, I must admit we're having a great time just playing through the scene's for fun. Either in the park or around the house. Whenever he says: "It's snowing Tin man" I have to freeze on the spot and mutter "Oil can" until he can pat me down and then I know it's ok to move again. I've been oiled up!

The movies he does have toys for don't get this kind of treatment from him, so perhaps having no toys has encouraged a different type of play... one that I'm really enjoying too.

We'll hold off.

Although PS Vita has a fun classic arcade pinball program where you buy virtual versions of classic machines and the Wizard of Oz one was just released. It's only 3 bucks so I'll buy that.

More
07 Apr 2014 12:46 #175284 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Wizard of Oz Toys?

JonJacob wrote: The movies he does have toys for don't get this kind of treatment from him, so perhaps having no toys has encouraged a different type of play... one that I'm really enjoying too.

I think that is exactly it. As soon as a kid has toys specific to something, it changes how they play. It becomes smaller, narrower, more dictated by the toys than directed by the child. They also get bored faster. When The Spawn and her friends were going through their Harry Potter phase, they got more play out of a couple of chopsticks (wands) and over sized scarfs (cloaks) than the fancy, schmancy Harry Potter train set we had.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.782 seconds