October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars Episode VII Cast Announced

More
29 Apr 2014 15:01 #176897 by san il defanso
Here's the very slow-loading link to the Star Wars official site...

Here's the copy if it won't load for you:

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2014 15:14 #176898 by Michael Barnes
Is Andy Serkis reprising his role as Ian Dury?

Max Von Sydow? Wow. Ming the Merciless!

More
29 Apr 2014 15:17 #176900 by charlest
Well, if nothing else, at least the score will likely be phenomenal. I still can't play The Queen's Gambit without that Lightsaber Duel music running through my head.

More
29 Apr 2014 15:40 #176903 by Black Barney
Oscar Issac! Sweet!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
29 Apr 2014 15:44 #176905 by san il defanso
It says a lot about us that the first movie we think of for Max Von Sydow is Flash Gordon and not, say, The Seventh Seal.

Except for me. I thought of Minority Report and Strange Brew.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
29 Apr 2014 15:53 #176906 by Michael Barnes
Heh, that's true. I guess Abrams is going for legacy Bergman actors instead of legacy Hammer actors this time out.

I'm going to go ahead and warn you, as soon as Luke/Leia/Han show up on the screen, I'm going to bawl. We've already had the others in the prequels, but seeing those folks back as those characters is going to be powerful...even if the movie isn't good.

But I think it will be...you don't get handed the keys to the Star Wars franchise- and its future- and drop the ball. You just don't.

More
29 Apr 2014 15:56 #176907 by Black Barney
He blew Star Trek completely out of the water (literally in the sequel) so I don't see him phoning it in here at all.

Do you think the Max Von Sydow is his attempt at an Alec Guiness-type of casting choice?

I don't want to hear anyone say, "I got a bad feeling about this" but I do really, really want to see Han Solo call Luke Skywalker, "kid" again. I would love for that to happen.

More
29 Apr 2014 16:01 #176909 by Green Lantern

San Il Defanso wrote: It says a lot about us that the first movie we think of for Max Von Sydow is Flash Gordon and not, say, The Seventh Seal.

Conan the Barbarian. "The lions ATE him!"

More
29 Apr 2014 16:22 #176915 by Joebot

Green Lantern wrote:

San Il Defanso wrote: It says a lot about us that the first movie we think of for Max Von Sydow is Flash Gordon and not, say, The Seventh Seal.

Not me. I immediately thought, "Oh, Dr. Kynes from Lynch's 'Dune.'"

I feel like I should be more excited about "Star Wars VII: The Lens Flare Strikes Back" than I actually am. I'm looking forward to Avengers 2 next year way more than Star Wars, which is very weird to me, but there you go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
More
29 Apr 2014 16:41 #176921 by Michael Barnes
Pic is awesome. I bet Peter Mayhew already has his lines memorized.

More
29 Apr 2014 16:43 #176922 by SebastianBludd

Joebot wrote:

Green Lantern wrote:

Not me. I immediately thought, "Oh, Dr. Kynes from Lynch's 'Dune.'"

Ming the Merciless or GTFO. It's one of the few times I've watched a movie villain bloviating about how superior he is and how inadequate humans are and thought, "Yup, he's right." His speech as King Osric in Conan is amazing, too.

I just want a return to the grubby, gritty lived-in Star Wars universe instead of the shitty-looking CGI sheen of the prequels. I also realize this is a long shot.

And holy shit I didn't see that news about all of the EU stuff being rendered non-canon. And I was about to recommend Karen Traviss' Republic Commando series which are easily the best Star Wars novels I've read...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
29 Apr 2014 16:59 #176927 by JoelCFC25
Will Max survive long enough to attend the premiere? He's 85 damn years old!

More
29 Apr 2014 17:04 - 29 Apr 2014 17:16 #176928 by Sagrilarus

Black Barney wrote: He blew Star Trek completely out of the water (literally in the sequel)

After watching the train wreck Star Trek Sequel (excluding the last 20 minutes which I couldn't sit through because of the standard bad-guy-won't-die-it's--STILL ----NOT----OVER bullshit) all bets are off as far as I'm concerned. I could very easily see it getting the zoom-pow treatment with lots of space ships and laser beams. One big chase scene, some characters maybe along for the ride. With luck Kasdan has a big influence on the script.

The original three films had a folksiness to them. I don't recall Abrams doing folksy. No one is going to pound on a console to get it to light up in this coming film.

Of course it could be Lucas so I should keep my mouth shut.

S.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2014 17:16 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, OldHippy

More
29 Apr 2014 17:05 #176929 by Gregarius

SebastianBludd wrote: I just want a return to the grubby, gritty lived-in Star Wars universe instead of the shitty-looking CGI sheen of the prequels. I also realize this is a long shot.

Amen to this. I couldn't care less who they cast, but I'll be excited if I hear a news report that they're scouting locations and/or building sets.

PS- Sydow, Three Days of the Condor

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds