October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars Episode VII Cast Announced

More
29 Apr 2014 22:00 - 30 Apr 2014 09:16 #176950 by OldHippy
The only thing that makes me happy about this announcement is the addition of Brewmeister Smith. Who I clearly know best from Strange Brew (and a couple of Bergman films). I still feel like it will get the same treatment as Star Trek did. Fast paced, sexy, young, hip, ironic, self aware... all the shit I don't associate with the original. At first I thought Abrams was a good choice because the spirit and pacing of his Trek films was much closer to Star Wars than Star Trek. Now I'm not so sure, I tried to watch one of his Trek films recently and just couldn't do it.

Those films are the perfect example of the screenwriters not getting the characters at all and only understanding them in the larger pop culture context. Kirk was never like he his in the films, how he is in the films is how many people remember him, how Eddie Murphy joked about him, how those who didn't watch the show thought he was. It's perfectly illustrated with the inclusion of "Beam me up Scotty" which was never said in any of the original shows but everyone assumed it was, so they put it in the new movie. Because, why not? It makes people comfortable after all.

It's the equivalent of re-filming Casablanca and making Ingrid Bergman say "play it again Sam" instead of the proper line (no call back intended). I just don't see the point.

Call me a grump but if it's mediocre I have the best chance of enjoying myself because I'm expecting crap.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2014 09:16 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, wice, Erik Twice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2014 23:19 #176955 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I guess I am the only Father Merrin guy here.

More
29 Apr 2014 23:44 #176956 by Michael Barnes
Oh no, I thought of that too..."the power of Christ compels you!"

Did anyone notice the giant bottles of vodka in that cast picture? And that Carrie Fisher is in the room? I don't know if that's all a good idea.

Also, Marl Hamill looks like some dude you'd see at the post office.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Black Barney

More
30 Apr 2014 06:18 #176959 by mikko_r
First thing I thought was Heidi.

More
30 Apr 2014 08:02 #176960 by Erik Twice
I'm with Jon Jacob on this one.

The thing is that Star Wars is a throwback to old ideas or concepts that are extremely unlikely to be present in the mind of the filmakers or the ideas of what the film is supposed to be. The central idea of "this is one of those old sci-fi serials I watched when I was a kid" that is the raison d'etre of the films is not something that can be replicated, even if everyone watches Flash Gordon, copies the coreography from Wings and checks out Kurosawa. It's a bit like making a new Indiana Jones if you didn't read comic books in your youth and given that not even the original creators prevented Kingdom of the Crystal Skull from being self-indulgent and too self-aware of its own influence on the very ideas its supposed to replicate.

Basically, I expect it to be a Star Wars film instead of a B-Serial with a high level of polish and a nice budget.

More
30 Apr 2014 08:11 #176961 by Legomancer
The Star Wars Empire has pretty much closed off all my interest in Star Wars. I love the original first movie and have no need for the rest of it.

However, courting the interest of 45-year-old nerds isn't what it should be interested in doing anyhow. Star Wars is no longer aimed at me and it shouldn't be. So, you know, I wish it luck.

More
30 Apr 2014 09:01 #176962 by DukeofChutney
I'm more positive on this now than when it was first announced. Im glad they went for Kasdan as a writer as at least he understands some of the original content. Secondly the photo, it appears to me to be shot in black and white and in such away as to suggest its from the 70s. It seems to me that they do at least want to pay homage to the older material. They do have a good cast too.

also Max makes me thing of Skyrim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Apr 2014 11:21 #176966 by SuperflyPete

San Il Defanso wrote: It says a lot about us that the first movie we think of for Max Von Sydow is Flash Gordon and not, say, The Seventh Seal.

Except for me. I thought of Minority Report and Strange Brew.

I always think of him as Liet Kynes. Can't help it. Even when I read the book I picture him.

More
30 Apr 2014 11:24 #176967 by Green Lantern

Mad Dog wrote: ...the ton-ton getting eaten...

It's spelled tauntaun. If you are going to bitch about Star Wars nerds on a game nerd website have the decency to properly spell a completely fictitious name for ram-headed space rodents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stormseeker75

More
30 Apr 2014 11:44 #176970 by Black Barney
I only know him from Dune and Needful Things, embarassingly enough.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds