October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars Episode VII Cast Announced

More
30 Apr 2014 11:48 #176971 by Dr. Mabuse
GL quit tonting Mike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2014 14:04 #176981 by ChristopherMD

Green Lantern wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: ...the ton-ton getting eaten...

It's spelled tauntaun. If you are going to bitch about Star Wars nerds on a game nerd website have the decency to properly spell a completely fictitious name for ram-headed space rodents.

I haven't cared since I stopped playing with the toys around age 10.

I hope they bring back the ewoks. CGI'd of course.

More
30 Apr 2014 14:50 - 30 Apr 2014 14:51 #176991 by Black Barney
Judging by that black and white photo of how the cast is looking, the thing that most is at risk of getting CGI'd is Princess Leia
Last edit: 30 Apr 2014 14:51 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
30 Apr 2014 15:46 #177012 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: Judging by that black and white photo of how the cast is looking, the thing that most is at risk of getting CGI'd is Princess Leia

Surely she's Queen Leia by now. Or wait, she's adopted, so I guess she can't inherit the throne of, uh, where's she from? Alderaan? Oh crap, that's gone now. This is so confusing.

More
30 Apr 2014 15:51 #177016 by Black Barney
Wherever she lives now, one thing is for sure, the diet is different than Alderaan.

More
30 Apr 2014 16:53 #177040 by Legomancer

Black Barney wrote: Wherever she lives now, one thing is for sure, the diet is different than Alderaan.

I'm glad that unlike her, when I'm headed towards 60 I'll still have the same svelte sexy body I had in my early 20s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Apr 2014 19:34 #177074 by Ancient_of_MuMu
2 women, 11 men.

More
30 Apr 2014 20:50 #177082 by Not Sure

Gregarius wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Judging by that black and white photo of how the cast is looking, the thing that most is at risk of getting CGI'd is Princess Leia

Surely she's Queen Leia by now. Or wait, she's adopted, so I guess she can't inherit the throne of, uh, where's she from? Alderaan? Oh crap, that's gone now. This is so confusing.

Don't worry, on Naboo they elect the Queen.

I'm not even sure what that means.

(put me in the "don't give a shit" category.)

More
01 May 2014 04:38 #177101 by luckyb0y

Not Sure wrote:
Don't worry, on Naboo they elect the Queen.

I'm not even sure what that means.

(put me in the "don't give a shit" category.)

That's not as strange as it seems:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_elections_in_Poland

As for Star Wars... Meh, why anyone cares at this point? It's like trying to film a sequel to say, Godfather, now. Sure you can do it but, why would you? Ah, yes it's the money.

More
01 May 2014 05:44 #177102 by OldHippy
lucky, I've felt like that before, but hearing you say it has made me want to write this:

Star Wars is more than just three movies, or one movie. It's more than that, there are numerous reasons to keep the series going that I can think of. The original was, after all, intended to be like a pulpy serial. It succeeded, Star Wars doesn't feel like high art, it feels like unpretentious fun, like a pulpy serial.

To me Lucas and Co. did not just try to make a movie like a pulpy serial flick but they actually made one. A new one. More than a homage Star Wars just is. There is every reason to keep this going on and on forever. Personally my biggest problem is Abrams and not the basic concept (although I'll give it a chance). I like a lot of Star Wars stuff, movies, games, cartoons... it's a fun world and shouldn't be treated like it's something special because to me that goes against the whole notion of what a pulpy serial should be.

Hell I'm not even offended by Lucas's prequels, I don't like them but that's different, I'm not offended by them. I don't hate them. I do think that the lightsaber fight at the end of Phantom Menace is the best lightsaber fight every put on film. It doesn't feel like Star Wars but that's just a style change thing, I can forgive it. I like a few other things about the films too but there is a lot of extraneous stuff in them and most importantly they never needed to be made. The original trilogy doesn't have any punch to it if you watch the prequels first and vice versa. They both seem to make the other unnecessary. ie: how can I watch the originals knowing that Vader is Luke's old man? -or- Wouldn't the prequels be better if you didn't know the hero would turn into the villain at the end? Those things can't happen if the films work in conjunction with each other.

Honestly I think that a lot of people are done with Star Wars because of those prequels leaving such a bad taste in our collective mouths. Well, that and sequel-itis. But as a kid, after the movies, I saw Droids, the Ewok cartoon (and a live action film) several cartoons, then I played games on various consoles and analogue, read books and comics, watched more movies, played more games ... all in different phases of my life.

If ever there was a movie series that was made to just go on and on forever, it's Star Wars. There is nothing high brow about it, it should wallow in the mud.

I want to see a Gilliam Star Wars a Spike Jonze one I want to see directors say to fuck with the three movie formula (I am a bit sick of trilogies) and just jump out there and find out just how robust this universe can be.

Then again I'm the same asshole who will watch every Marvel movie and actually enjoy them. I still think I've seen more romantic comedies than super hero movies so I need to make amends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Green Lantern

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.243 seconds