October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Dario Argento teaming up with Iggy Pop for new Film....

More
09 Oct 2014 11:31 - 09 Oct 2014 11:36 #188357 by Egg Shen
So apparently this is a thing.

www.indiegogo.com/projects/dario-argento...starring-iggy-pop--2

They're looking to crowdfund a movie called " The Sandman"

Here is a small synopsis:

"Maybe other places, you've heard about other kinds of Sandmen -- forget everything you've heard. This guy doesn’t put sand in your eyes so you drift peacefully to sleep — don't you wish! This Sandman is the real deal, going back to the dark, original German legend: the REAL Sandman was someone who stole the eyes of any children that wouldn’t just close them and go to sleep... then he'd go feed them to his hungry children on the moon. Try telling that version to the kiddies next time they won't go to bed, and see where it gets you! While you're at it, show them a copy of this image!"

I love me some Argento...but he hasn't been exactly killing it lately. Still, this sounds like it could be interesting. I'm not sold on it being crowd funded, but hopefully it works out.

Then again I did see this nugget of ridiculous goodness in the description.

"...the serial killer dubbed "The Sandman": a masked killer who murders his victims with a lethally jagged melon spoon..."

Edit - Also read that they're going to get Claudio Simonetti/Goblin to do the music for the film. Nice!
Last edit: 09 Oct 2014 11:36 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2014 11:48 #188358 by Michael Barnes
What the hell?

Argento is done. He hasn't made a film approaching "good" since Trauma, which wasn't very good itself. He's about as washed up as it gets. He did not age gracefully into an elder statesman role and his films have become worse and worse with every passing year. Whatever muse he had died in the 80s. It's a shame, because at his best he was an amazing, fearless and singular director.

Iggy Pop in an Argento film...I never thought I'd see that coming.

Won't be backing this one. I already know it'll turn out crap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Oct 2014 11:54 #188359 by Black Barney
Is Iggy Pop the guy who was in Prince of Darknesz? Who kills someone with a bicycle frame, if memory serves?

More
09 Oct 2014 12:56 #188364 by Egg Shen

Michael Barnes wrote: What the hell?

Argento is done. He hasn't made a film approaching "good" since Trauma, which wasn't very good itself. He's about as washed up as it gets. He did not age gracefully into an elder statesman role and his films have become worse and worse with every passing year. Whatever muse he had died in the 80s. It's a shame, because at his best he was an amazing, fearless and singular director.

Iggy Pop in an Argento film...I never thought I'd see that coming.

Won't be backing this one. I already know it'll turn out crap.

Yeah, the chances of this being anything other than an un-watchable train wreck are pretty much nil. I'll hold out hope though. Maybe that crazy Italian bastard has one more masterpiece in him. The fact that this needs to be crowdfunded doesn't exactly inspire hope/confidence in the project though.

More
09 Oct 2014 13:17 #188366 by Michael Barnes
That's the thing, his last...what, eight or nine films?...have been practically unwatchable. I don't think I've been able to actually watch any of his last several to the end. Awkward, badly written, badly filmed...you'd never know it was the same guy that made Deep Red, Suspiria, and Tenebre.

The TV movie he did, "Do You Like Hitchcock?" Is the only thing that was ALMOST good...mainly because it felt like he wasn't trying to be CRAZY Argento and he was just making really kind of an old fashioned thriller. I think he literally has no idea how to do HIS OWN brand of crazy anymore.

More
09 Oct 2014 13:33 #188370 by Egg Shen
Heh.....I just ordered Argento's Dracula. I've heard that it's truly god awful. I'm a sucker for Dracula movies....but I know this is gonna be painful.

More
09 Oct 2014 13:47 #188373 by Michael Barnes
It's on Netflix...I tried...I've seen some pretty bad Dracula movies in my time, but it was pretty low down on the list.

Have you seen Jess Franco's Dracula, the one with Christopher Lee? I really like that one...obviously tons of Euro-sleaze cheapness, but it's actually pretty faithful in the adaptation and it's the only moustachioed Dracula that I know of.

Also, if you haven't seen Dracula, Prisoner of Frankenstein...you probably should.

More
09 Oct 2014 14:01 #188376 by Shellhead

Black Barney wrote: Is Iggy Pop the guy who was in Prince of Darknesz? Who kills someone with a bicycle frame, if memory serves?

Alice Cooper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Oct 2014 16:24 #188383 by Egg Shen

Michael Barnes wrote: It's on Netflix...I tried...I've seen some pretty bad Dracula movies in my time, but it was pretty low down on the list.

Have you seen Jess Franco's Dracula, the one with Christopher Lee? I really like that one...obviously tons of Euro-sleaze cheapness, but it's actually pretty faithful in the adaptation and it's the only moustachioed Dracula that I know of.

Also, if you haven't seen Dracula, Prisoner of Frankenstein...you probably should.

Yeah, I've been meaning to check out those Franco Dracula flicks. Prisoner of Frankenstein DVD looks OOP...any chance if its on Netflix?

My plan is to cleanse my palette after Argento's Dracula with something like Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter or Twins of Evil. Perhaps Werner Herzog's Noserfertu The Vampire...thinking about getting Scream Factory's recent Blu Ray release of that.

More
09 Oct 2014 16:42 #188385 by Michael Barnes
Twins of Evil is great, one of Hammer's best...Cushing's wife had died just before filming, you can see that there's a sense of grief hanging over his performance. Definitely the best of the Karnstein trilogy. Kronos is one of my all-time favorites too...it's actually not really all that good, but it is really kind of the first superhero vampire hunter film. I saw it when I was a kid and it just stuck with me. Written and directed by Brian Clemens, one of the guys that created The Avengers (the John Steed/Emma Peel one).

There is some odd Franco here and there on Netflix (I just noticed Bloody Judge last night)...but I don't think those are on there...I don't think any of his gothic horror stuff is at all. Which is a shame because they are...inventive. They are soooo trashy...especially Erotic Rites of Frankenstein.

Awful Dr. Orloff is probably his all-around best gothic, other than Dracula.

Herzog's Nosferatu is wonderful- so gauzy and dreamlike, it's definitely a 1970s Herzog movie. Kinski is just perfect in the role.

Highly recommend Daughters of Darkness on this angle...very classy, sexy vampire picture that is rarely talked about these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
09 Oct 2014 16:47 #188386 by Michael Barnes
Heh, this is actually sort of cool:

For 5000 USD you get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be THE BLACK GLOVED KILLER!!

More
09 Oct 2014 17:30 - 09 Oct 2014 17:31 #188389 by Chapel

Iggy was the guy from that movie "Hardware". He played the crazy postapoc. DJ from the wasteland.

(OK, I loved that movie)

Last edit: 09 Oct 2014 17:31 by Chapel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
09 Oct 2014 18:22 #188393 by Michael Barnes
Hardware is the best 2000AD movie ever made. LOVE that film.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.472 seconds