October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Hobbit 3 Talk

More
12 Dec 2014 15:35 #192602 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Hobbit 3 Talk

Joebot wrote: Oh, and Game of Thrones, of course! That one seems to be doing pretty well! But again, even the incredible success of GoT hasn't sparked a huge influx of fantasy adaptations on TV. Why is that??

Because fantasy has been done to death? Seriously, there's been tons of them over the last 35 years, both real and animation. Some books have been done twice. Potter fits the bill, Frozen was a monster from this past year, I'm not sure what source materials are left that haven't gotten the treatment.

Westerns -- there's an underutilized setting. Not a lot of Civil War films or Victorian stuff (save for Sherlock Holmes) either . . . I'd like a good pirate movie. There hasn't been a decent brooding submarine movie in a couple of decades. There's a lot of traditional topics that get about zero attention each year. Fantasy just isn't one of them. It's getting all the attention it could ever want.

S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2014 16:04 #192603 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Re: Hobbit 3 Talk
I think rather than fantasy specifically, both LotR and Harry Potter films have inspired a shit-ton of YA adaptations. Many (most?) have also been fantasy/sci-fi, but I think that's just a side effect.

GoT is really the only adult fantasy thing going. But man, I would love to see someone try to adapt the Thomas Covenant series.

More
12 Dec 2014 16:07 #192604 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Re: Hobbit 3 Talk

Sagrilarus wrote: Westerns -- there's an underutilized setting.

Maybe in the modern era, but holy crap there has got to be more Western movies than any other genre ever. That's one reason I don't see the superhero trend dying off anytime soon.

More
12 Dec 2014 16:17 #192605 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Hobbit 3 Talk
I actually don't think fantasy has been done to death... I think Tolkien version of fantasy has been done to death. It's odd to me that fantasy means elves and dragons... that's not good enough for me. Fantasy can be so much more. When I read David Lindsay's 1920 novel A Voyage to Arcturus I saw where fantasy could have gone if it wasn't for Tolkien... and it blew my mind. Sometimes I still see flashes of it and Pan's Labyrinth was an interesting take. Brazil is a top five fantasy film for me.

I certainly want more fantasy but I want it to be done more creatively. People need to throw out the Tolkien tropes which were already done to death when the Dragonlance series came out... now it's even worse. My favorite fantasy novel is The Third Policeman and I don't think many people would even see it as fantasy which is too bad.

More
12 Dec 2014 16:25 #192606 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Hobbit 3 Talk

Sagrilarus wrote:
Westerns -- there's an underutilized setting. Not a lot of Civil War films or Victorian stuff (save for Sherlock Holmes) either . . . I'd like a good pirate movie. There hasn't been a decent brooding submarine movie in a couple of decades. There's a lot of traditional topics that get about zero attention each year. Fantasy just isn't one of them. It's getting all the attention it could ever want.

S.

They should just kill the entire flock with a single stone then and make a movie about a pirated submarine of disgruntled Southerners stalking the western approaches.

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

More
12 Dec 2014 16:46 #192609 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Hobbit 3 Talk
Some non-Tolkien fantasy stuff that could be great as movies:

Elric
Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser
the Amber series

and that's just after 60 seconds of thought.

More
12 Dec 2014 16:51 #192612 by OldHippy

Shellhead wrote: Some non-Tolkien fantasy stuff that could be great as movies:

Elric
Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser
the Amber series

and that's just after 60 seconds of thought.

Oh there's plenty in literature. I mentioned two of them in my post. But I am truly not interested in adaptations. If a book is good I'll read it. I want new IP's, I want risk and creativity.

More
12 Dec 2014 23:35 - 13 Dec 2014 00:05 #192662 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Hobbit 3 Talk
I'm going to break LotR Film impact out into another thread here in a bit, but want to swing this back to The Hobbit.

So, we just finished up the first one...this film is even better than I thought when I last saw it a year ago. I've got a lot of very positive things to say about it, and likely stuff we've said before.

I find it amazing that we've got this epic trilogy starring 13 old, fat guys, and a geriatric in robes. It's really quite amazing when you think about it. Thank goodness for the books, because if this was an original screenplay, no way would it get green lit.

I find Thorin far more compelling than Aragorn. Yeah, he's a jackass, but IMO his tale is more interesting as is his character's motivation -which'll end up consuming him.

I'm an old sap and can tear up watching films quite often. There are a few parts in this flick that sorta get me. The cheesy bit where Gandalf looks at the camera talking about how the small, peaceful things can hold back the darkness, when Bilbo spares Gollum, and when Bilbo gives that speech about having a home but willing to help the dwarves find theirs. Great stuff. Again, I'm a sap though.

Still dig the Howard Shore score. The hobbit and ring themes get me every time.

I really like the goblin king, but then I also liked Boss Nass in TPM. These sort of off-beat characters are fun. I dug the Goblin King singing, and "That'll do it" was great.

Serkis is still killing it as Gollum. But there he's pretty much been apes and other cgi creatures since LotR, so I suppose he's in practice.

The inclusion of any character from LotR (Elrond, Galadriel, Sauromon, etc) feel natural and organic in this film and not like fan service. Way different than what goes on in the Star Wars franchise (walk-ons by Chewbacca, Boba Fett, and co for no reason).

Are there a few bits that are over the top...yeah. The stone giants for sure. It was a throw away line in the book and not needed, but still it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the film as a whole. It's a fantasy...

I find it interesting that Jackson closed out each LotR trilogy film with female artists, and The Hobbit with males. I've really enjoyed all the songs from the first five. I haven't heard 'The Last Goodbye' from Billy Boyd as I don't want to spoil it for myself. I want to hear it for the first time as it closes out the franchise in the theaters...where'll I'll likely bawl.

Anyway, my son really enjoyed the film as well and we can't wait for Desolation of Smaug next week.

The Hobbit movies are awesome.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2014 00:05 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, Green Lantern

More
12 Dec 2014 23:40 #192663 by OldHippy
I have noticed that they hold up really well to repeat viewings. I can't imagine re-watching GoT though.. for example. There are some beautiful scenes in the Hobbit and what I really like is that even with the drama and melancholy turned up to max they still find room for some humour here and there.

A lot of genre pics these days could learn from that. Not wink wink isn't this cheesy humour.. actual real humour where the characters are actually funny for each other. That's how life is.

It's too bad I don't go to the theatre anymore because I am really excited for this.

More
13 Dec 2014 23:04 #192715 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Hobbit 3 Talk
I enjoyed this review. Maybe because it validated my thoughts on the films, but mainly because, I didn't realize these flicks were making _more_ than LotR.

www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2014/12/...-is-a-mythic-marvel/

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds