October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Game of Thrones premier on HBO

More
19 Apr 2011 16:10 #94762 by Jackwraith
Am I just misremembering a bed in that room? Admittedly, it has been six years since I last read GoT (right before Feast came out.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2011 16:51 #94765 by Dair
Jackwraith wrote:

Am I just misremembering a bed in that room? Admittedly, it has been six years since I last read GoT (right before Feast came out.)

You must be misremembering. I just read GoT about two weeks ago and it is in an abandoned part of the castle. Bran is surprised to hear voices because no one but him is there and then peeks in on the speakers.

More
19 Apr 2011 19:06 #94771 by Mr Skeletor
It was certainly a tower - if it was their bedroom it would have been a bit obvious to all what happened when Bran's body is lying under it's window.
I liked the way the push was done, it emphasised more than the book that it was an act Jamie put little thought into, which becomes important later on.

I still say Tyrion's intro is MUCH more true to character here than in the book. He has been riding for a month, so it makes more sense that he would go to the Whorehouse over the Library (I'm sure he was reading plenty on the road.) In fact is the Imp's weaknesses (drink and pussy) even mentioned in book one? I'm certain the whoreing kind of comes out of left field. This intro makes the Shae stuff in book 3 makes a lot more sense, since it establishes his weakness for women from the outset.
The book instead introduces us to Tyrion via an actobatic tumble (which is a massive gaff that I have no idea how it made it through the rewriting process) and that he is very smart and loves books. Then he goes to the wall and we learn more of the same about him. In hindsight it seems that when the early chapters were written Martin was still developing the character, since his vices aren't really developed until he gets back to kings landing (and thus come a bit out of left field.)
Here the imp is introduced as a floppish, horny drunkard. Which is how much of Westeros sees him. I'm assuming we will be introduced to the imps intelectual side (which was mentioned in the episode with the 'candles' bit but not shown) at the wall. A better introduction methinks.

There are a few other areas in the ep where you can see they have tweeked the charcaters due to hindsite to better fit what comes later.

RE Children's age, it's both so you can use older actors, and because if rewritten Martin says he would have started the children as being older. Originally there was supposed to be a 7 year gap between books 3 and 4, but Martin ditched it because he couldn't get it to work. This means that apparently some of the things the kids will do in the later books they will be a bit young for but there is not much he can do about it. The children read as older then it's said they are anyway (especially Rickon).

More
19 Apr 2011 19:29 #94772 by Jackwraith
Not THEIR bedroom; a bedroom. Something not conveyed very well by the show is that Winterfell is a sprawling castle, as well as a town, and there are many relatively unused parts of it. As I recall, it was precisely one of those that Cersei and Jaime were using. But, again, it's been a while.

He definitely touches on the Imp's weaknesses in the first book because the story about Tyrion falling in love with the whore and then finding out she was paid for by Jaime is in there.

I remember him mentioning the gap between SoS and Feast/Dance. He trashed most of what he had written because he said he spent too much time doing flashbacks.

More
19 Apr 2011 20:25 #94774 by Mr Skeletor
Jackwraith wrote:

Not THEIR bedroom; a bedroom. Something not conveyed very well by the show is that Winterfell is a sprawling castle, as well as a town, and there are many relatively unused parts of it. As I recall, it was precisely one of those that Cersei and Jaime were using. But, again, it's been a while.

You could be right, but even if it was a 'bedroom' I doubt it would have had clean linnen and shit like that since it was abandoned. From memory isaren't the leaning against a wall while he is fingering her (at least thats how I understood Bran's description)?

He definitely touches on the Imp's weaknesses in the first book because the story about Tyrion falling in love with the whore and then finding out she was paid for by Jaime is in there.

Yes that's there, but I don't recal Tyrion doing any of that outside of a flashback in book one. He certainly becomes a heavy drinker in 2.

I remember him mentioning the gap between SoS and Feast/Dance. He trashed most of what he had written because he said he spent too much time doing flashbacks.

There was also logistic problems, such as the siege at Dragonstone having to run for an unrealistic 7 years.

More
20 Apr 2011 03:04 #94781 by iguanaDitty
Pretty, especially the wall. I liked the casting. A little dull, but then so much has happened in the books.

More
20 Apr 2011 10:47 - 20 Apr 2011 11:03 #94796 by Columbob
RE: Tyrion in Book 1 (SPOILERS if you haven't read the first book and later)

After he's freed from the Eyrie and joins his father's army at the crossroads inn with a bunch of his wild men, he spends quite a bit of time whoring. He has his merc find him a suitable one (Shae), and won't leave her except on his father's bidding. After the battle, his father sends him to King's Landing to act as King's Hand and tells him to leave the whore behind.

BTW most of the Shae stuff is in book 2, as in book 3 Tyrion spends most of his time in bed or in a cell in between his trial.

BTW, Season 2's a go .
Last edit: 20 Apr 2011 11:03 by Columbob.

More
22 Apr 2011 12:19 #94924 by jpat
I'm a sucker for a good title sequence, and GoT had that in spades for me.

Everything seemed pretty well done, though I need to catch the last ten minutes or so again because something came up while I was watching.

More
25 Apr 2011 22:29 #95050 by aerodynamics
Another great episode last night; this has quickly become my current, favorite TV show. I looked for the Game of Thrones novel while at Costco over the weekend, but they didn't carry it. In a way I'm actually glad that I can approach the series with a clean slate and no pre-conceived notions or expectations from having read the book(s).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Apr 2011 13:11 #95100 by jay718
I enjoyed the second episde even more than the first. Cersei is perfect. Very happy this is turning out as well as it is because I had some serious doubts.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds